Sheridan County Newsletter
Calendar of Events
June 2-3 - Jump into Summer
June 5 - Sheridan County Progress Show
June 7-8 - Wilderness Wonders
June 9-10 Fort Robinson Horse Camp
June 12 - Dawes County Progress Show
June 13 - DIY Day at Gordon at 9 am
June 14 - District Horse Show in Chadron
June 15 - Bake n' Create at Extension Office at 9 am
June 16 - Western Livestock Challenge in Hemingford
June 19-21 - PASE and Life Challenge
June 22-24 - Babysitting Camp in Gordon
June 25-26 Box Butte County Progress Show
June 29 - Welding Workshop from 9 to 12
July 6-7 - Tractor Safety
July 8 - Sewing Sleepover
July 22-30 - Sheridan County Fair
· Resource Books are now available online at: http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/sheridan/resourcebook/
· On the Sheridan County 4-H website there will be an area with all the flyers for the Progress shows, Horse shows , and other events across the state. Check them out!
· Interested in attending multiple summer workshops but don’t want to register every time? We have created a Google Form that will allow you to register for multiple workshops at once. You do have to enter each child individually. To access the form visit: http://go.unl.edu/summerworkshops.
· The Livestock Buyer’s invite will be sent in an email. 4-H members should give this to at least 4 buyers from around the community.
· 4-H Club of the Month—The Nebraska 4-H Foundation and Nebraska 4-H Ambassadors have started a program to recognize 4-H Clubs throughout the state for all of their hard work. Any club may nominate themselves. Nominations are due the second Friday of the month. The selected club will receive a $50 cash card from the Nebraska 4-H Foundation. Additional information and an application can be found at http://ne4hfoundation.org/recognition/.
· We are looking for adults that are interested in helping coach a robotics team this fall. We will host Robot play days in August so that adults and youth can get a feel for the program.
Project Classes for Jump into Summer are the following:
· Watercolor Art: Dept. C Division #261 Class #3
· String Art: Dept. C Division #257 Class #12
· Cake Decorating: Dept. E Division #920 Class #any
· Photography: Dept. B Division #180 Class. #any depending on pictures.
· Archery: Dept. D Division #347 Class #any. To make this a complete project the youth can use what they learned to create an aid or accessory, storage case, practice game or activity.
· Heritage Quilt: Dept. A Division #101 Class #1 or 5. To make this a complete project the youth can use what they learned and write a description about the quilt that is being made.
· Outdoor Cooking: Dept. E Division #402 Class #3 or Division #410 Class #2
July 1st Deadline
Due on July 1st are the Fair Entry Forms!
These forms have you select each class that 4-H members are going to bring an item for fair. These forms can be picked up from the Nebraska Extension Sheridan County Office or downloaded at http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/sheridan/sheridan-county-fair/ . The form will have you enter the Department, Division, and Class number along with a description about the item.
Sheridan County Progress Show will be on Sunday, July 5th at the fairgrounds in Gordon. The registration form can be found at: http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/sheridan/upcoming-shows/. Entries are due June 1st but will add $5 for late entries. Registration will be from 7 until 9 am with the show starting at 10 am. Please let Melissa know if you have any questions about the show. Our prizes for Sheep, Goats, and Market Beef are $250 for the Champion and $200 for Reserve Champion. Breeding Beef prizes are $150 Champion and $125 for Reserve Champion. This is a great opportunity to meet other 4-H members and practice for fair.
The DIY day workshop will be at the Food Booth in Gordon starting at 9 am. Youth will have access to tools to create their own pallet creation. Participants should bring a sack lunch. The cost for this workshop is $3. If anyone is looking to get rid of old paint or stain we would gladly take them for this workshop.
Bake n' Create Workshop
Western Livestock Challenge
This year the Western Livestock Challenge will be held in Hemingford at the fairgrounds on June 16th starting at 9 am. There will be a livestock judging camp in the put on by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Livestock Judging team. In the afternoon will be a Meats Judging session and a Livestock Judging competition for youth and adults. Top 3 prizes will be awarded to the Junior, Intermediate, and Senior youth participants. The top 3 adult prizes will be a split jackpot. The fee is $10.
Always wanted to learn how to weld but had no one to teach you? Mr. Conroy from the Gordon-Rushville High School will be teaching basic welding techniques on Wednesday, June 29th at in the shop at Gordon-Rushville High School starting at 9 am. The cost for this workshop is $5. Please register by June 22nd by calling the Nebraska Extension—Sheridan County Office at (308) 327-2312.
Do you have what it takes to be an Entrepreneur? Learn how your skills can help you create your own business by attending the ESI Camp at Hay Springs Schools on June 27-28th starting at 8:30 am. Youth will gain skills in marketing, financials, and creating a business. This camp is for youth in grades 5th –8th. To register please contact the Hay Springs School.
Electrify your Summer
Discover all the cool things you can do with electricity at the Electrify your Summer workshop. Youth will create a circuit, build a compass, play with magnetic slime, build their own lamp, and design an LED bracelet.
This workshop will be on Thursday, June 30th from 9 until 3 pm at the Gordon City Auditorium. Participants will need to bring a sack lunch. The cost for this workshop is: $5. Please register by June 23rd by contacting the Nebraska Extension—Sheridan County office at (308) 327-2312 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2016 Tractor Safety Trainings will be held in seven locations across the state during May, June, and July.
Any youth 14 or 15 years of age who works on a farm or ranch other than his/her parents’ is required to be certified through a tractor safety course. Extension Educators and field specialists will teach the 2-day courses.
The training in this area will be July 6-7 at the Gordon City Auditorium.
Cost for the course is $60, which includes all course materials, lunch both days and breaks. Registration is requested a week prior to class. For details or to register, contact the Nebraska Extension Office in Sheridan County, (308) 327-2312.