The Hornet Buzz
December 16, 2022
In this Issue
- No School Friday December, 16th
- Names in 2023 Yearbook
- Ugly Sweater Contest 12/21
- Rizvanov Announced Presidential Scholar Award
- Ahmadi Named US Senate Youth Program Delegate
- Winter Break Box Drive
- EHS Winter Warmth Gift Card Fundraiser
- College Student Athlete Panel 12/21
- First Year College Student Panel 12/22
- BIPC Performer Coffee House
- Statewide Family Engagement Council
- Save the Date- Winter Ball 1/21/23
- No Newsletter Next Week- Early Winter Break
- Parking Permits
- Important Dates
No School Friday, December 16th
No School Friday, December 16th. Due to the winter storm warning and potentially hazardous driving conditions.
Stay safe Hornets!
Send Your Names for Yearbook by December 22nd!
Congrats to Anthony Rizvanov!
Ahmadi Named US Senate Youth Program Delegate
Congratulations to Essex High School senior Maddie Ahmadi, who was one of only two Vermont students named a state delegate as part of the 2023 United States Senate Youth Program (USSYP).
Annually, two students from each state are selected for a $10,000 scholarship and an all-expenses-paid week-long trip to Washington D.C. While at the capitol, students learn about the inner workings of the federal government and they meet with members of Congress, the Supreme Court, and the Presidential Administration.
The Vermont Principals’ Association, the United States Senate Youth Program, and the USSYP Committee all encourage Vermont students who will be in their junior or senior years, and hold an elected or appointed school or community position, to apply for this distinguished scholarship and opportunity next year. Completed applications for next year are due by October 23, 2023. For more information please visit vpaonline.org.
Winter Break Box Drive
EHS Winter Warmth Gift Card Fundraiser
Today is the last day to donate! We are almost at our goal of $3,200!
Gift cards can be dropped off at the Main Office to Kristin Roy from now until the end of the school day on December 16, 2022.
Our EHS Student Assistance Program (SAP) Counselor will then confidentially coordinate assistance to EHS students and families in need.
Statewide Family Engagement Council
The Agency of Education announced the formation of a Family Engagement Council to advise the secretary on education policy and topics of interest to parents in Vermont.
The Agency of Education is seeking to have a council of 10-15 members who are parents, guardians, or family members who are primary caregivers of a student or students enrolled in a Vermont school or Home Study program.
The membership of the council wishes to represent the state’s geographic, gender, socio-economic, racial, and ethnic diversity. Parents of younger children, parents in non-traditional families, and grandparents or other relatives acting as primary caregivers are especially encouraged to apply.
In the first year, the Family Engagement Council will focus on the following policy areas, among others:
- School district quality, health and safety, and school facilities
- Academic progress: What do we use to measure success and proficiency?
Interested parents, guardians, and caregivers can fill out the Application for Appointment, which is designed to take ten minutes to complete.
Applications are due by Dec. 18, 2022.
Winter Ball January 21, 2023!
Student Government is excited to announce this year's Winter Wonderland themed Winter Ball will be held on January 21st. We have taken the suggestions from last year and we are pleased to announce that we will be hosting the Winter Ball at the Hampton Inn in Colchester! Doors will open between 8PM - 9PM.
This year will be selling tickets outside the cafeteria during all lunches on January 11th, 12th, and 13th for $20. As well as, on January 18th, 19th, and 20th we will be selling tickets between exams for $25. Those who wish to bring a non-EHS students need to complete the Guest Application Form before purchasing tickets. Please go to the Main Office to pick up a form. Light refreshments are included in the price of your ticket!
Student Government is also seeking your opinion on what you would like to hear for music at the Winter Ball. Please fill out this form to help inform the development of the music list.
Go here to apply!
Permits can be picked up in the main office after the application process is complete.
- Graduation: Will be held on Saturday, June 17th, 2023. *More information to follow as we get closer to June.
- Cap and gown ordering through Balfour can be found here. No payment is needed at this time, payment is due when you pick up your cap and gown. Links for cap and gown ordering can also be found on the EHS website, the Hornet Buzz newsletter (in the senior section), and our social media pages.
- Yearbook: Senior photo submission and senior quote deadline was Friday, November 18th. Please find that information on the EHS Website: Under the Activities tab, Yearbook Linked here.
- Free Senior photos are available for those who want them. Please contact Jesse Keefe in the AV studio located in the Library. For more information and to schedule a time, please email Jesse at email@example.com
Assistant Principal Grade Assignments
10th Grade: Lynn Kozloski
11th Grade: Gayle Botelho
12th Grade: Jeff Goodrich
EHS Events Calendar and Website
-Essex High School Website: Check here for announcements and important information about our school, handbooks, daily schedules, and staff directory.