Community Supported Agriculture
What is CSA?
Benefits for the Consumer
- You get to eat local and fresh foods every week
- You learn how to cook vegetables that most people would never buy in the store (such as okra or eggplant)
- You learn about and contribute to the process of farming sustainably
- Forms a community passionate about sustainable eating
- You get to meet the people growing your food and feel confident about the food on your plate
- Offers local farmers a way to make a living while helping the environment
- Creates jobs
- Connects people with the process of agriculture
- Teaches people to respect the earth and to be thankful to farmers
Are there risks involved?
How does CSA benefit the environment?
- CSA reduces people's impact on the environment because it reduces the need to import food
- Organic farming reduces the amount of pesticides and antibiotics that enter our environment.
- CSAs grow seasonal crops and use crop rotation. This is much better for the soil than planting the same crop year-round.
"Clagett Farm CSA." Clagett Farm Community Supported Agriculture (CSA). Web. 21 Jan. 2015. <http://www.cbf.org/join-us/more-things-you-can-do/clagett-farm>.
"Community Supported Agriculture." - LocalHarvest. Web. 21 Jan. 2015. <http://www.localharvest.org/csa/>.
"Community Supported Agriculture: Love Your Local Farmer." - ParentMap. Web. 21 Jan. 2015. <https://www.parentmap.com/article/community-supported-agriculture-love-your-local-farmer>.
"Community-supported Agriculture." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation. Web. 21 Jan. 2015. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community-supported_agriculture>.
"Jersey Fresh: Join a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Program in NJ." Jersey Fresh: Join a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Program in NJ. Web. 21 Jan. 2015. <http://www.njfamily.com/Jersey-Fresh-Join-a-Community-Supported-Agriculture-CSA-Program-in-NJ/>.
"Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Project in Cape Town | Urban Sprout." Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Project in Cape Town | Urban Sprout. Web. 21 Jan. 2015. <http://www.urbansprout.co.za/sas_first_community_supported_agriculture_csa_project>.