August 17, 2022
A Note from Ms. Owens
We had a fabulous Packet Pick Up last week. The gym was filled with excited parents and excited students! That event is a clear signal that the school year is about to start. If your family has not yet dropped off the required paperwork and picked up your family's packet, please contact Mary Omiecinski or Mary Nelson via email to arrange a time on Wednesday.
Thank you to all the school and parish families who supported our 11th Annual Charge On 5K as runners, walkers, sponsors and volunteers on Saturday. We had beautiful weather and it was joy-giving to see so many students and families along the route! Thank you to Mrs. Evans and Mrs. Jordan for the huge amount of work that went into making this event such a success.
Thank you, also, to our Men's Club for hosting the annual Parish Picnic later Saturday afternoon and evening. The nice weather continued and the event was filled with friends, families, good food, and laughter. And the parish was able to celebrate Eucharist together at the picnic!
Here is a quick look at Thursday and Friday! There is more information on entry and dismissal as well as Before/Extended Care further down in this Check-In.
All K-8 students are welcome to wear their gym uniforms (warm weather) to school for the next few weeks. The school will message out when students need to begin wearing their regular school uniforms.
- PK dismissal at 10AM
- K-8 dismissal at 11AM
- Morning care begins
- All-School Liturgy at 8:30AM
- Bring a lunch!
- Dismissal at 1PM
- No extended care
- We have added the Voyages grammar/writing program and the Wonders reading program to our 4th grade curriculum. This will provide continuity for students as Voyages (grammar/writing) is used in grades 5-8 and Wonders (reading) is used in grades K-3.
- In the second half of the past school year, our K-8 homeroom teachers introduced Second Step, a well-known social emotional learning curriculum. The activities were well-received by both students and teachers. As a result, we will continue to use Second Step.
- Our K-3 classrooms will implement Secret Stories as phonics program. This will provide common language and approaches for students as they move through these grade levels. One of our classrooms piloted Secret Stories last year and those students achieved significant growth in phonics.
A Bit More News
- Please read the FSA Letter to School Families just below.
- The supply lists for the 2022-23 school year for grades K-8 are available at the link below. There is a separate link for PK3 and PK4 supply lists.
- The tentative calendar for the 2022-23 school year is available below.
- If you know of an SCA family who owns a small business that we can publicize here to help support them, please reach out to me via email. Scroll down to see local businesses we can support.
Entry and Dismissal Procedures for Students & Morning Care/Extended Care
Entry (arrive no earlier than 7:50AM/doors open at 8/doors close at 8:10)
- PK students (and their parent/guardian) will line up south of the gym. Teachers will greet the students at the door next to the playground and students will proceed to the gym to meet their classmates and their instructional aide.
- Grades K-2 will line up on the center lot. Parents/guardians will remain in marked off waiting area. Beginning at 7:50, school staff will meet students in that designated waiting area and escort the students to the place their class is assembling with their teacher.
- Grades 3 and 4 will line up in the north lot. Parents/guardians will remain in an area away from where students line up. Beginning at 7:50, teachers will be outside to welcome their students.
- Grades 5 and 6 will line up on the center lot in their designated area. Beginning at 7:50, teachers will be outside to welcome their students.
- Grades 7 and 8 will line up outside the church doors on Kedvale. Beginning at 7:50, teachers will be outside to great their students.
- Students arriving after 8:10AM should come to the church doors on Kedvale. They will need to check in with the main office.
Dismissal (Thursday PK at 10AM & K-8 at 11AM/Friday at 1PM/MOnday at 2:45PM)
- Aside from the first day of school, half day PK students dismiss out the Alexandria Center doors on Kedvale at 11AM. Teachers will release students when they see an approved "pick up" person for that child.
- Full day PK students dismiss out the back doors of the gym at bit before 2:45PM on regular dismissal days. Teachers will release students when they see an approved "pick up" person for that child.
- Grades K-4 dismiss onto the center lot. Parents/guardians will remain in the designated waiting area and students will come to them. Studetns are directed to let their teacher know they see their "adult" before taking their leave of their class.
- Grades 5 and 6 dismiss from the Alexandria Center. Students can exit onto the parking lot or onto Kedvale.
- Grades 7 and 8 dismiss out the church doors onto Kedvale.
- Students in Grades K-4 who are going to extended care should exit the school building with their classes and reenter the school via the Alexandria Center Door on the center lot. PK students are escorted to extended care by their teachers and students in 7th or 8th grade can go to extended care rather than going outside.
Morning Care and Extended Care
- Families need to be registerd with the morning/extended care program in order for their child to attend
- Morning care will begin on Friday, August 19. Extended care will begin on Monday, August 22.
- Additional information is availabe in the Morning and Extended Care Program Packet given out at Packet Pick Up. (I will share a link here once I have the document electronically.) If you would like a hard copy of the packet sent home with your child, please contact Mary Omiecinski or Mary Nelson.
The format will look at bit different from pre-Covid years. Here is an overview of the schedule for the evening:
- 6:30 - Classroom presentations
- 7:00 - School-wide presentation in church
- 7:30 - Classroom presentations
- Teachers will give presentations that cover their classroom expectations, share the curricula being used, and preview some of the upcoming highlights for their students.
- Teachers will give their presentations twice - once at 6:30 and again at 7PM.
- Families with more than one student can attend one session at 6:30 and another at 7:00. Families are also welcome to split up with one adult going to one presentation while the other goes to a different presentation.
- If you only have one child at SCA, you can go to either the 6:30 or 7:30 presentation - whichever works best for your schedule. (corrected 8/17)
As we did at Packet Pick Up, we will be offering used Chromebooks for $20. Please bring cash or a check.
Covid Vaccination Information
If you or someone you know wants to get a vaccine, you will find a button below with easy-to-navigate information for Chicago, Cook County and surrounding counties.
The Sunday Collection
Visit the link below to set up your recurring contribution. Donors can change the amount of the contribution or pause it at any time.
Ways to Support Our Local Small Businesses
If you know of an SCA family who owns a small business that we can publicize here to help support them, please reach out to me via email.
This restaurant is owned by the same family that owns Bar 106, where our Queen of Hearts Raffle is hosted.
This full-service fencing company is owned by an SCA family.
This certified public accounting firm is owned by an SCA family.
This funeral home is owned by an SCA family.
Here is another local restaurant where an SCA family is among the owners.
This breakfast and lunch spot is owned by an SCA family.
So Many On-going Ways to Support St. Catherine!
Wednesday, August 17
- Supply Drop Off for PK3-1st grades (Sign Up emailed to PK3 & PK4 families on 8/12))
Thursday, August 18
First Day of School
- PK3 & PK4: 8AM-10AM
- K-8: 8AM-11AM
- Ice Cream Social (evening - times TBD)
Friday, August 19
- PK-8: 8AM-1PM (first day of lunch)
Monday, August 22
- First Full Day of School: 8AM-2:45PM
Wednesday, August 24
- Back to School/Curriculum Night