DEARBORN STEM ACADEMY NEWS & NOTES
May 13, 2019 Vol. 1, No. 34
The Dearborn STEM Academy is a grades 6-12 Boston Public School supported by the Boston Plan for Excellence.
We return to STATE testing (MCAS) this week. Our grade 6,7,8 students will be assessed in mathematics on Tuesday and Wednesday, May 14, 15.
We remind students and parents and guardians of the following:
- Students need a good night sleep. Please make sure our middle school students are ready!
- Students should eat a good breakfast. DSA starts serving breakfast at 7:00 am each morning.
- Students need to be in school on time. Students need to be in testing rooms at 7:30 am.
- We will provide a snack during the test to every student.
Thank you for your support and cooperation.
For all of our other students I'll keep sending the following reminders as we near the finish line:
The fourth quarter will move quickly; it's time to stay focused or get back on track:
- Come to school every day and on time.
- Attend all classes.
- Pass in all assignments and on time.
- Ask for extra support if you need it; you can get support after school or during WIN Time.
DSA junior student Devon Lewis Thompson elected to State Student Council position.
DSA junior student Devon Lewis Thompson was elected as both the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Greater Boston Regional AND State Student Advisory Council Communications Coordinator! This is the first time a Dearborn student has been elected to a State Student Advisory Council Position!
CALENDAR-LOTS GOING ON!
UPCOMING MONTH OF MAY EVENTS FOR MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS, FAMILIES AND COMMUNITY MEMBERS
MAY 14, 15 GRADE 6,7,8 MCAS MATH
MAY 21, 22 GRADE 10 MCAS MATH, GRADE 8 MCAS SCIENCE
ART CLUB EXHIBIT, 4:30 PM
MIDDLE SCHOOL ATHLETICS CEREMONY, 5:00 PM
SLIFE ZOO Trip (DURING SCHOOL DAY)
MAY 28 SENIOR BREAKFAST
MAY 29 SENIOR LUNCHEON AT MAGGIANO’S
DSA MUSIC END OF YEAR PERFORMANCE, 8:30 AM - 9:30 (GUESTS WELCOME)
POETRY SLAM, 6:30-7:30 PM
MAY 31 PROM AT LOMBARDO’S
PARTNERS HELP OUR STUDENTS!
Theater at DSA!
Our students had a blast onstage, made many new friends, and received a whole cast award for Excellence in Ensemble Performance, based on their ability to work together onstage as a group and to help each other out when a line or an entrance was not quite right.
Elijah Diaz also received a special award for Excellence in Comedic Performance!
The students are eager to finish this play and show it to our community at DSA. Be on the lookout for more information soon. Thanks to all the DSA faculty and staff for their support!
PARENT SURVEY GIFT CARD WINNERS!
Parent Survey Gift Card Winners
- MD Abdur Rouf (received)
- Donna Greene-Brathwaite
- Carmen Gonzalez
- Mancelina Fernandes
All winners will be notified by email and a phone call.
Tim Likosky and Tim DiMario complete SPARTAN Iron Man Race
Want a summer job?
Here is another link to the Success Link for city of Boston summer jobs. At the bottom, students can search for jobs in areas they desire and then create a profile. Students should use the bostonk12 email and same password to keep it simple.
There are many jobs out there and some of our students who have been working hard are already being called for interviews...
Here is link,,
Drone Camp comes to the Dearborn...
July 8-12 or July 15-19. Please contact Mr. Likosky or Principal Brown for more information.
The program is FREE.
Students will receive:
- All of the materials and supplies needed to build a drone. See a picture of the prototype above.
- Students will receive expert instruction that will allow each student to successfully build the drone.
- Students will receive expert instruction on how to program the drone.
- Students will fly the drone inside our beautiful atrium!
- Students will also learn about FAA regulations about registering drones and rules preventing drones from flying within 5 miles of airports.
Students will keep the drone!
DSA Computer Science Teacher Jon Loporto nominated for award.
Striving for excellence at DSA...
GRADE 9 STUDENT-STAFF BASKETBALL GAME A HIT!
DEARBORN STEM ACADEMY GRADUATION
Wednesday, June 12th, 6pm
36 Winthrop Street
Here are the early-release (11:30 am) days for the remainder of the year!
Wednesday, June 12, Regular Professional Development for Staff
On June 18th and June 19th all DSA students will be dismissed at 11:30 am per BPS regulations.
What we are measured by as a school!
Here are the accountability areas of focus for schools in Massachusetts. As a turnaround school we are acutely aware of our status and are determined to make progress in the areas below.
If you have any questions about how the Dearborn is addressing these issues please do not hesitate to contact us.
- MCAS scores in English language arts, math, and science
- Student growth percentiles in English language arts and math
High School Completion
- Four-year cohort graduation rate
- Extended engagement rate (five-year cohort graduation rate plus the percentage of students from the cohort who are still enrolled)
- Annual dropout rate
Progress Towards English Proficiency
- Percentage of English learners meeting annual targets in order to be English proficient in six years
- Percentage of students missing 10 percent or more of the days they were enrolled at a given school during a school year
Advanced Coursework Completion
- Percentage of 11th and 12th graders completing advanced coursework (Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, dual enrollment courses, and other selected rigorous courses)
In partnership with the Boston Plan for Excellence the Dearborn STEM Academy will host a Summer Learning Academy!
We will communicate by newsletter with you each week. It will be distributed at the beginning of each school week. The purpose of the newsletter is to inform Dearborn STEM Academy students, staff, and families as well as the greater Dearborn community.
If you would like to add something please submit the contents to the appropriate principal; High School Principal Dana F. Brown, email@example.com or Middle School Principal Shelley Olsen, firstname.lastname@example.org
Stories, pictures, calendar reminders, club, activity, and classroom notes are all welcome.