October 29, 2018
What are you saying... to yourself?
According to pathways2success.com, self-talk is the inner voice that goes on inside our heads throughout our waking hours. It can be positive or negative. Positive self-talk is when we talk to ourselves in a reassuring, kind, and more optimistic way. It’s the difference from saying to yourself: “I’m an idiot, I can’t believe I failed this math test” or “I’m disappointed in how I did on the math test but I’m going to talk to the teacher and study more next time”.
Positive self-talk can have a big impact on how we think and feel. Over time, engaging in more positive self-talk can help reduce stress, improve self-esteem, increase motivation, inspire productivity, and improve overall mental and physical health.
Are you interested in reducing stress, increasing motivation, and having better mental and physical health? If so, be kinder to yourself by affirming instead of verbally abusing yourself! Give yourself some support and some grace with thoughts like
- I can get through this.
- Today will be a better day.
- I control my own happiness.
- I am enough.
Everybody has troubles, bumps, rough patches, and fears. Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone worries about things, sometimes a lot and sometimes a little. If you can be nice to yourself, you'll feel better and be more likely to seek support. If you beat yourself up with "I stink at this," "I'm a loser," or "Nobody likes me," then you'll increase your own negative outcomes.
So what are you saying to yourself? Be very careful. Remember that you are listening!
See Mrs. Naugle or Mrs Asdell if you have any questions about the power of affirmations or positive self-talk!
Putting the UN in fUNdraising!
We call this an UN fUNdraiser because donations are sought for things that people DO NOT want to do! Do you have a family friend that does not want to buy jewelry? Maybe they'll give you $10. Does your aunt want to NOT run a 5K? Maybe she'll give you $50! Does your parent want to NOT take your fundraising paper to work? That is certainly worth a $100 donation! Get it?
The GREAT things about this program are...
- 100% of the money stays at school, nothing goes to a company.
- You aren't asking people to buy things they don't want/need.
- You don't have to deliver anything to your customers.
- Participation triggers unique experiences as prizes and all prizes are cumulative!
$10 = HW 24-hour Late Pass and Candy Bag Grab (maybe you'll win cash!)
$25 = Feed Us First (a full week of YOUR TABLE eating first)
$50 = Partner Pizza Party (you supply a friend, we'll supply the pizza lunch!)
$100 = Design Lab (design and create a custom t-shirt! Be the first to use our new program!)
Top fUNding Homeroom = Ice Cream Party
Top 3 Individual fUNders = Staff Member Shadow Day (who do you want to hang out with?)
If you need another collection sheet, pick up one in the office. Remember your obligation to turn in ALL of your collected donations. When you are ready to turn them in, put your money and paper in any envelope. Put your name, grade, and HR teacher on the envelope and seal it. Turn it in at the office any morning before November 10th.'
Thanks in advance to everyone that support SMS!
Band of Warriors Headed to STATE!
Early Dismissal Wednesday
SCSD2 students get out of school early on October 31st! We will have an early dismissal day to allow teachers time to participate in professional development. SMS teachers will be investigating the new ILEARN exam and developing multi-source non-fiction text activities for students across the grade levels.
All classes will meet on Wednesday but for shorter duration. SMS will dismiss students at 12:55. Bus routes will run at that time. No club meetings will be held Wednesday. Athletes are encouraged to go home and return for practice. However, athletes practicing at 3:00 can attend a study table in the media center from 1:00-3:00 if needed.
Enjoy your extra time to prepare for Trick or Treat night!
Are you ready to DO SOMETHING about negative local statistics relating to substance abuse? Are you ready to make a difference? The Empower Coalition is a student group devoted to positively impacting Scott County. The group meets every 3rd Monday of the month at the Lifelong Learning Center at 5:45 PM. Get connected by texting @YOUTH823 to 81010 or by following the group on Twitter or Facebook using @empowerscottcounty.
Help Builders' Club Help UNICEF
UNICEF (United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund) is a global organization that works in 190 countries and territories to save children’s lives, to defend their rights, and to help them fulfill their potential, from early childhood through adolescence. There are many ways to support UNICEF, perhaps the most common being "Trick or Treat for UNICEF." This week, across the US, students will forgo candy and instead collect change to support the organization. Since many middle schoolers do not Trick or Treat, we're going to hold our event in our own building!
On October 30th and 31st, the Builders' Club will be hosting a fundraiser for UNICEF! Gather up your spare change and drop off a donation into your homeroom UNICEF Trick or Treat box. Any bills or change gives hope to children! As an added incentive, Builders' Club is hosting a homeroom challenge. The homeroom that collects the most money will get a treat party. We will donate all of the money we collect to UNICEF to help them buy medicine and care for mothers and babies.
Thank you for giving what you can on Tuesday and Wednesday!
Do you love science? Are you great at it? If so, then Science Olympiad might be just the thing for you. SMS is currently putting together our 2018-2019 Science Olympiad team. We are looking for dedicated team members who are willing to flex their academic muscles and compete in challenging science events at a regional tournament in February. These events cover all the science you’ve ever and never learned. There will be an informational meeting on Thursday, November 1st from 3:00-3:30 in Mrs. Fryfogle’s room (707). If you are interested, sign up on the Canvas Community page. The last day to sign up will be Thursday, November 1st.
Archery Season is HERE!
If you were on the team last year, we will meet briefly in the media center on Tuesday, Oct. 30th after announcements. You will go home at the bell. No special ride needed.
If you are new to archery or the SMS club/team, attend a meeting in the east gym on Thursday, Nov. 1st from 3:15 - 4:30.
Starting Thursday, November 8th, practices will be Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:15 - 4:30. Whether you are a veteran or a new archer, please sign up on the Canvas community page if you are interested in joining archery this year. No previous shooting experience is required.
- SMS does not have a Halloween costume event. Please keep your costumes, make-up, colored contacts, and sweets at home!
- If you were unable to attend conferences last week, you can STILL have a conference at your kitchen table (review your Fall Accountability Report). Parents and guardians are also still welcome to contact teachers to discuss performance!
- Keep your iPad case intact by keeping your fingers out of the round circle on the back. Stretching out the rubber case leads to rips. Rips lead to replacement costs!!
- See something, say something. Report safety concerns to any trusted school adult as well as your parent/guardian.
- NO SCHOOL- Tuesday, November 6th - Election Day
- Fall Play - Friday, November 9th / 6:00 PM / SMS Great Room / Admission $3
- Fall Dance- Friday, November 16th / 6:30-9 PM / More info in upcoming Scoops!
- Mid-Term Day - Friday, November 16th
- NO SCHOOL- November 21, 22, or 23 - Happy Thanksgiving!
- NWEA Mid-Year Assessments - November 27, 28, and 29
- 2 Hour Late Start - 10:05 AM Wednesday, December 12th (teacher data meetings)
- Winter Band Concert - Monday, December 17th 7:00 PM @ SMS
- Winter Choir Concert - Tuesday, December 1t8h 7:00 PM @ SHS McClain Hall
- End of Semester- Friday, December 21st (normal 8:05-2:55 day)
- NO SCHOOL - Christmas Break - Monday, December 24th - Monday, January 7th
- Semester 2 Begins - Tuesday, January 8th!
Mon. Oct. 29: B day, Bot Warriors, Builders Club Board, Spell Bowl, Yearbook
Tue. Oct. 30: A day, UNICEF collection, Drama, Spell Bowl Competition (gud luk two are teme!)
Wed. Oct. 31: B day, Cross 7:45am, UNICEF collection, Early Dismissal (12:55)
Thu. Nov. 1: A day, Archery (new members), FACS Club, Drama
Fri. Nov. 2: B day