Post- traumatic Stress Disorder
What is Post- traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)?
What kind of disorder is PTSD?
- The medications used to treat PTSD are anti-depressants. The anti- depressants affect the chemicals in the brain to help the victim feel less sad and worried.
- Psychotherapy is used to help treat PTSD. The therapy helps the victim accept and understand the traumatic experience in order to restore one's self- esteem. Virtual Reality Exposure therapy is also used. This therapy is when the victim recalls and talks about the traumatic event in hope that he will gain an understanding and confront the memories.
How Common is PTSD?
- About 7.8% of Americans will experience PTSD at some point in their life.
- Women (10.4%) are twice as likely as men (5%) to get PTSD in their life. It is found most in people ages 18 to 54.
- About 5% of children every year are diagnosed with PTSD.
Famous Person with PTSD
PTSD: National Center for PTSD. (n.d.). Retrieved December 9, 2014, from http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/PTSD-overview/dsm5_criteria_ptsd.asp
PTSD. (n.d.). Retrieved December 9, 2014, from http://www.psychiatry.org/ptsd
World Book Online Reference Center | Online Reference Book| Online Encyclopedia. (n.d.). Retrieved December 9, 2014, from http://www.worldbookonline.com/student/article?id=ar441830&st=post-traumatic stress disorder
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. (n.d.). Retrieved December 9, 2014, from http://www.ptsd.ne.gov/what-is-ptsd.html
The Vietnam in Me. (n.d.). Retrieved December 9, 2014, from http://www.nytimes.com/books/98/09/20/specials/obrien-vietnam.html
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). (n.d.). Retrieved December 10, 2014, from http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/index.shtml
U.S. Department of Defense. (2012) U.S. Army Medic. [Online Image]. Retrieved December 12, 2014, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_benefits_for_post-traumatic_stress_disorder_in_the_United_States