La Monte R-IV Elementary News
Weekly Staff Memo: October 17-21, 2016
TEAM LA MONTE: EVERY STUDENT, EVERY DAY
Build Your Own LEGACY Through Paws-itive Behavior!
Great Things I Noticed This Week!
1. Our average daily attendance - we currently have 97.58% of students at school on a daily basis. Also, we have 94.5% of our students at school 90% of the time and more. This is excellent! Keep encouraging students to be at school everyday!
2. Progress Monitoring - Percentage of student scoring at or above grade level:
a. Reading - 65.85% (Increase from 49.57% during fall benchmark
b. Math - 70.14% (Increase from 51.71% during fall benchmark)
Wow! Amazing increases from the beginning of the year.
3. Congrats to Austynn White and Levi Sisler for being this week's Viking Voucher winners! These students received a certificate to Dairy Queen, a book, pencil, a piece of candy & a wristband for the PTO Carnival! These students will also choose our Tunnel Thursday song and Friday dance party song next week.
4. Student Leadership Team and all their work with events around the school!
Hands-On Math Ideas to Try... RIGHT NOW!
Painter's tape on tables to create angles for students to identify.
Beach ball of math problems... wherever the student's hand lands when caught, they figure out the problem.
Fraction hopscotch... Great brain break!
Coordinate planes using students as the points.
Measure angles using doors.
Students shake small container with die instead of them them landing on the floor when they roll.
A "BIG" thank you to the following staff members:
- Jessica, Jan & Miranda for all their work in revamping the Tiers schedule.
- Brittany Dillon for heading up the Christmas Committee!
- Continual flexibility from all staff members! You are a great team to work with.
- Nicole Stratton for her work on the Student School Climate Survey.
- The central office & kitchen staff for all their work on the DESE Food Service review.
- Ashley Purchase for being a team-player and being positive through all the changes!
- Anthony Caldwell for helping others with saving their PDPs.
- Kim Gumbel & Erica Spiess for setting up the fire truck visit for the 1st grade class. What a great experience for them!
There is a SHOUT OUT board located in the work room for you to recognize other colleagues!
This Week In News
October 17: Lesson Plans Due, PBIS Parent Meeting @ 3 pm, District Soccer @ Sacred Heart vs Smithton, JH Soccer @ Smithton, District Volleyball Tourney @ Crest Ridge
October 18: Corson in District Admin Meeting @ 9 am
October 19: Grades Updated, Mentor/Mentee Meeting @ 3:10 pm in Plakorus's Room, Elementary Science Club 3-4:15 pm, FCCLA Wendy's Day, Board of Education Meeting @ 7:30 pm,
October 20: 3rd Grade Pumpkin Book Reviews
October 21:Early Dismissal @ 1 pm, Christmas Committee Meeting @ 1:30 in Dillon's Room, Teacher Work Afternoon until 3:15 pm, End of 1st Quarter, Mentor/Mentee 1st Quarter Information Due, HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESSIE ELWELL!
Fundraisers: Mixed Bag Designs & Trash Bags
Please check or link the Elementary Important Dates & Deadlines to your calendar - this will be updated as things arise!
Car: Stratton/E. Purchase/Corson
Bus Riders: Stratton/E. Purchase/Corson
Walkers: Stratton/E. Purchase/Corson
Crosswalk: A. Purchase/Redmon
Highway Crosswalk: Redmon/A. Purchase
Nuts & Bolts
1. Professional Development Plans - Thank you for getting these turned into me! You all have great goals and aspirations for this school year. We will begin meeting this week to discuss your yearly goal and how you plan to grow toward/attain your goal.
2. Elementary Fall Fundraiser - Please turn your orders into the office when students turn them into you. Keep encouraging students to sell, sell, sell!
You can order Mixed Bags online at: http://www.mixedbagdesigns.com/Retail-Home?fundraiserid=608380
3. Curriculum Maps: Due November 4th! I shared examples of grade-level/content curriculum maps with you through Drive.
4. Parent/Teacher Conferences will be help on October 26 from 1:15-7 pm and October 27 from 8 am - 3 pm. PTO will be providing lunch on October 27. No school on Friday, October 28!
5. End of 1st Quarter Assembly will be held on October 26th (Half-day!) at 10 am. We will celebrate students on the honor roll, those with perfect attendance and the class with the highest attendance rate up to this point! This assembly will look a little different this year, as students will go through an obstacle course to receive their award certificates!
6. Halloween Parade & Parties: These events will be held on October 31st beginning at 1:30 pm. We will still do the Trunk or Treat and the parade through the hallways!
7. Absences & Substitutes - If you need to schedule a personal day, these need to be approved at least 3 days in advance. If you are in need of an emergency substitute or time off, please CALL me (573-694-3979) before 6:30 am in the mornings. With getting two kiddos of my own ready for school in the mornings, I may not see an email or text until I am on my way to school.
8. Don't forget to pass around the "You've Been Booed!" bucket!