What interests me
History and Biology
Why do people become addicted?
- They believe that their purchases can boost self-esteem and improve appearance, reputation or relationships.
- They have materialistic values driven by poor credit management.
- They depend on this behavior to relieve negative feelings that cause distress and discomfort.
- 8.9% of Americans have this disorder.
- Men and women compulsively shop about equally.
- 17 Million Americans are compulsive shoppers.
- Arguments over money are the greatest cause of relationship stress and break-ups.
- The average credit card debt for Americans is close to $10,000- mostly from unnecessary purchases.
- Compulsive shopping is more than about poor finance; many people need professional psychological help.
Social media fuels this addiction even more:
- 88% shop online
- 79% because of convince and the ability to get hard to find items
- 64% because it is easier to spend
- 26% because they are bored
"Compulsive Shopping/Spending." Therapy for Compulsive Spending, Shopping
Addiction, Therapist. Good Therapy, 4 June 2014. Web. 25 Mar. 2015.
"The Dangers of Compulsive Shopping." Youtube. The CW, 6 Nov. 2012. Web. 25 Mar. 2015.
Habit Doc. "Who Becomes a Shopping Addict?" YouTube. YouTube, 26 Apr. 2008. Web. 25 Mar. 2015.
Hartney, PhD, Elizabeth. "Inside the Shopaholic Personality." About Addictions. About Health, 29 Dec. 2014. Web. 25 Mar. 2015.
"How to Find Help Treating a Shopaholic." How to Help a Shopaholic With Their Shopping Addiction. Sovereign Health. Web. 25 Mar. 2015
"Our Mission:." Shopping Addiction. Unity Point Health. Web. 25 Mar. 2015.
Oxygen Infographic. Digital image. Photobucket. Web <http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/thefashiongurublog/media/OxygenInfographic_v9-1-1.jpg.html>
"Statistics on OverShopping & OverSpending." The Shulman Center for Compulsive Theft,
Spending & Hoarding. The Schulman Center. Web. 25 Mar. 2015.
"Why Shopaholics Overspend? Poor Credit Management, Buying to Boost Mood, Study Says." SF State News. San Francisco State University, 1 Aug. 2013. Web. 25 Mar. 2015.