World Heritage Southeast
January 2018 Newsletter
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
We are entering our host family recruitment season for the class of 2018-19 so read on for a few updates!
There is no ONE way to make placements!!!!
HERE ARE SOME IDEAS TO GET YOU STARTED:
- Call, email, Facebook current and past host families. Remember, even if I'm doing it, they need a local touch.
- Contact Schools go in person and leave both INBOUND and OUTBOUND materials for language teachers and counselors. Leave YOUR info with them.
- Talk to the PTA - see if they will add you to their weekly update with a "blurb" about host families
- Ask if you can set up a table: Conferences, International Night, Basketball games - any time parents will be in the building - then you want to be there too!
- Neighborhood Newsletters: I have had great success with Next-door.com
- Churches: can you talk to the Youth Group, mothers club, mens club, newsletters
- Scout Groups: see above - especially for Unit meetings - which is when the leaders of several area troops meet to exchange information.
- Keep trying!
- Stay in touch!!
The key to completing a placement is timing - BE QUICK TO RESPOND!!!
2. Set up the home visit. "I'll be in your area later this week, how does Thursday sound? Will everyone be there?" TAKE A PICTURE OF EVERYONE AT THE HOME VISIT (this is new!)
3. Tell them all the wonderful benefits host families enjoy! Take 6 pictures while you're there (living room, exterior, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, family). Fill out the Home Visit form while its fresh in your mind. YOUR OPINIONS COUNT!!! Use an e signature (let me know if you need help on this one).
4. Contact the 3 references listed.
5. Contact the school for space - especially if you have a relationship with the school. I can help you with this step as well.
6. Send everything on to me - doesn't matter what order!!
PLACEMENT SENT - MAKE SOMEONES DAY! :)
2ND STIPEND PAYMENT - GET PAID!!
- all placement paperwork, pics
- student and family orientation postcard - signed and dated
- 2 activities with your students - entered in the database
- 1 school contact to the guidance counselor
- contact reports for BOTH students and parents for months 1- 5 (in database)
- 1 in person contact per semester - this is located at the top of your contact report
WELCOME TO THE TEAM!
Courtney Peters - Madison, GA
Shacorra Edmonds - Columbus, GA