Mrs. Ralston's Grade One Newsletter
Important Upcoming Dates
- Friday, February 5 - 11:30 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack and return Star Homework)
- Monday, February 8 - Scholastic book orders due (remember to use those gift coupons!)
- Tuesday, February 9- 100th Day of School!!! 100 Day cape project due!!!
- Thursday, February 11 - Pizza Hut Fun Lunch money and forms due.
- Friday, February 12 - 11:30 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack and return Star Homework). We will also be celebrating Valentine's Day in our classroom on this day.
- Monday, February 15 - No school for staff and students; Family Day holiday.
- Friday, February 19 - 11:30 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack and return Star Homework). Jersey Day...wear your favorite team jersey or Aspen Grove shirt!
- Wednesday, February 24 - Pink Shirt Day (Anti Bullying day). Learn more at: http://pinkshirtday.ca/
- Thursday, February 25 - Pizza Hut Fun Lunch for those who preordered. Please remember that the canteen is closed on Fun Lunch days.
Science Materials: In March we will be beginning our science studies around "Building Things". It is a really engaging unit that blends science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) and literacy all in one! As part of the unit we are asking that students bring in some recyclable materials that we can reuse for our building tasks. We don't want to be overrun with materials, so we are asking each student to bring in no more than 3-4 items PLUS 3-4 paper towel or toilet paper tubes. Some examples of great recyclable items could include: cereal boxes, kleenex boxes, plastic containers, clean milk jugs, etc. Please save your items and beginning sending them in during the first week in March.
1) Literacy: This week we were introduced to 2 new characters who will help us remember the letters and sounds that we need for reading and spelling. Have your child tell you one thing they remember about Leaping Eve and the White Whistling Whale. Then have them tell you what sound these characters likes the best, and what letter or letter combinations represent that sound. Leaping Eve (long e: e__e, ee, ea, e, ey, __y, ie) and White Whistling Whale (wh).
2) Sight Words: Our new sight words of the week were "see", "these", and "what". Feel free to make new flashcards with these words to add to your current collection for Star Homework practice. These words all have an open o at the end. Have your child teach you what this means. A new set of our latest flashcard will be coming home in the next few weeks.
3) Math: Did you know that your child walks around with a build in 10-Frame on their hands that helps them subitize and work with place value? We call them our Deca-Fingers. Have your child show you how they can use their fingers to show number and how many more until 10.
4) Word Sorts: All the students are at the point in the year where they are bringing home word sorts based on their own individual ability and needs. It is so beneficial to spend extra time revisiting these sorts with your child once they bring them home. Reading and using the words in the sorts will not only help your child to become a better reader, it can also effect their spelling and general knowledge of how words work in a hugely positive way! Your child's Star Homework page provides you with a few different games you can play with the sorts, but I do challenge you to come up with some of your own. In class, the students really love the spelling game! Have them teach you what this game is all about.