Water Usage Around the World
By Madison Ba., Yarden G., Vanessa C., and Scott K.
Water Usage in the United States
By Vanessa Crummack
Water Distribution on Earth
By Madison Bang
Water distribution on Earth shows that most water in the Earth's atmosphere and crust comes from the world ocean's saline seawater, while freshwater accounts for only 2.5 % of the total amount. We use about 90 gallons daily, mostly for everyday household tasks (such as taking a shower or brushing your teeth. Household water only comes from groundwater sources or surface water sources. Groundwater refers to wells, in which get their water from aquifers, or springs, while surface water comes from bodies of water such as lakes, reservoirs, or any body of water that contains freshwater.
Approximately 90% of Americans receive drinking water from a public water supply, such as a city or county water department. The other 10% of Americans provide water for themselves, mostly from a well, pond, or stream. About 37% of water provided by public water systems comes from groundwater sources, however, most large cities acquire their water from surface water sources. When water comes from a groundwater or surface water source, it often travels a long distance. A watershed is the land area that surrounds or covers a water source. Rain and snow fall onto the land in a watershed and flows into lakes, rivers, streams, or reservoirs.
About 97.5% of all water on Earth is salt water, and only 2.5% as fresh water. Nearly ¾ of that fresh water is frozen in the ice caps of Antarctica and Greenland, and most of the remainder is in deep underground aquifers as groundwater not accessible to humans. Only 1% of the world's fresh water is accessible for direct human uses, which is the water found in lakes, rivers, and reservoirs; only this amount is regularly renewed by rain and snowfall, and is available on a sustainable basis. In conclusion, water distribution is widely dispersed in many parts on Earth, and the water we use today should be saved for the water we use tomorrow.
Water Conservation and Tips
By Yarden Gilat
As the human population grows, more and more people are using up the precious fresh water that we have so little of. Our only other resources are water that has become permanently frozen or salt water, but that would be very expensive and time consuming to clean up gallons and gallons of water. Here are a few ways to conserve water:
You can water your garden at any time of day where the sun is not too hot or sunny. The reason why is because if you water your plants when it is too sunny, the water can evaporate, leaving little to no moisture on the plants.
Avoid using hoses and try to use a bucket and sponge more often. Using a hose can waste six gallons of water by the minute.
Take more showers and less baths. Showering takes only ten to twenty-five gallons of water, while a bath can take up to fifty. In fact, taking ten baths could result in wasting 400 gallons of the limited resource of water we have.
Turn off the tap. Keeping a tap on could pull gallons and gallons of water all down the drain. A good place to keep in mind is to turn off the tap while you are brushing your teeth; it isn't needed.
- When you do the dishes, the best way to save water is to scrape your silverware first, and then put it in the dishwasher. In fact, if you scrape well enough, you don't even need to use the dishwasher, which will only result in saving more water.
- If you buy a low-flow toilet, you can save about 6 gallons a flush! Instead of using 7 gallons of water per flush, we can use about 1 gallon of water!
Turn Off the Tap!
Tip 1: Turn off the Tap water when it isn't being used or needed.
Go Old School When Cleaning!
Tip 2: Use the old school bucket and sponge when cleaning.
Time Your Watering!
Tip 3: Don't watering our plants in any time of day where the sun was directly above, have a scheduled time of day.
Water Usage and Conservation Facts
By Scott Kalaf
Last but not least, amazing fun facts. Did you know that out of all the water on the earth, only 3% of of it is freshwater. Also, a tomato is 95% water. These are the facts that pull you in, and make you want to learn all about water. One fact that really interests me is that there is a billboard in Peru that makes water out of thin air. This fascinates me because if we can make many more of these, this can stop many drought problems.Did you know that the expiration date on water bottles is for the bottle, not the water inside it? I know neither did I. Life can only exist with water. This has scared many people because they thought that the expiration date was for the actual water. Human blood is 83% water. The point is, we really need water to survive. And to think, we are wasting up to 5 gallons of water when we keep the water running on the faucet. This is a big problem, so here are some ways to save your water.