By: Bethany Tuma
Battle of Somme
New weapons of the war
- Industrial expansion and wealth, both personal and national and a profound impact on economic life.
- Monarchies and democracies alike sought to cope to the changes to protect their authority.
- With the European expansion a small number of people sensed a apocalypse.
- Both sides thought the war would end quickly.
- New styles of warfare
- In the west, the German army invaded Belgium. Rumors and stories quickly spread.
The Trenches: symbol of the stalemate
- "The bodes we could not get from the German. Wire continued to sell... the color of the dead faces changed from white to yellow - grey, to red, to purple, to green, to black."
-The allies used four types of trenches
- connecting these trenches were communication trenches, when allowed movement of messages, supplies and men along the trenches.
- No mans land:
My mid November 1914, the territory between opposing trenches were marked. Nearly all vegetation was destroyed. Whenever possible, both sides filled land with barbwire.