March Diversity Newsletter
Celebrating Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
This monthly newsletter will highlight a variety of topics that our students and staff are doing to celebrate and honor the diversity of our schools, the equitable practices we are striving for and the inclusive ideas that make us strong. Our intended audience is the greater community, as well as the students and staff in our schools.
Student Climate Survey
Inclusion Week- Linn-Mar HS
Excelsior Junior ALO visits University of Northern Iowa
Boulder Peak students in Ms. Woods class created Black History Month posters celebrating the Civil Rights Era
March Equity/Diversity/Inclusion resources
Our Student Support Services curates links and resources for families.
Supporting health and well-being for our Linn-Mar students and families:
- Social Story– to share more information on COVID-19
- 10 Grounding Exercises– To help manage worry
- Journaling and Mindfulness through Mayo Clinic’s Gratitude Challenge
- Social Emotional Learning Resources
- Social Emotional Learning during School Closures- see website
- Managing Stress During Coronavirus Outbreak
- Relaxation Strategies
- Taking Care of Your Behavioral Health
- Addressing Anxiety about Novel Coronavirus
- Supporting Families During COVID-19
- K-12 Social Emotional Learning Activities To Do At Home
- Parents Guide to Meeting the Challenge During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Supporting Individuals with Autism during COVID-19
- Supporting Individuals with Autism through Uncertain Times
Community resources available to help anyone that is struggling emotionally:
- Crisis Textline: Text HELLO to 741741
- National Youth Crisis Hotline: 1-800-442-HOPE (4673)
- Iowa Help Line: 1-855-800-1239 or text iowahelpline.org
- Iowa Crisis Chat: www.iowacrisischat.org
- Foundation 2 Crisis Line: at 362-2174 or use their chat line by clicking here.
- Iowa Warm Line: Serving: Benton, Bremer, Buchanan, Delaware, Dubuque, Iowa, Johnson, Jones, and Linn Counties 1-855-800-1239 Chat: IowaHelpline.org The warm line is a peer run, telephone based, non-crisis, confidential, listening line for anyone struggling with mental health or substance abuse issues. The Warm Line is staffed by people who have been through a similar journey and are in recovery themselves
Notice of Non-Discrimination (Board Policy 104.1-E1)
It is the policy of the Linn-Mar Community School District not to discriminate on the basis of age, color creed, national origin, race, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical attributes, genetic information, physical or mental ability or disability, ancestry, political party preference, political belief, military status, socioeconomic status, pregnancy, or familial status in its educational programs and its employment practices.
There is a grievance procedure for processing complaints of discrimination. If you have questions or a grievance related to this policy, please contact the district’s Equity Coordinators.
Equity Coordinator: Mr. Nathan Wear, Associate Superintendent
Phone: 319-447-3028 / firstname.lastname@example.org
2999 N 10th Street – Room 200, Marion IA 52302
Equity, Affirmative Action, and Title IX Coordinator:
Mrs. Karla Christian, Chief Officer of Human Resources
Phone: 319-447-3036 / email@example.com
2999 N 10th Street – Room 213, Marion IA 52302