Northbrook Elementary Blazin' News
October 17, 2016
"The fundamental purpose of school is learning, not teaching." ~Rick DuFour
This Week at Northbrook
Monday, October 17
Gina off campus for training
No faculty meeting
Tuesday, October 18
- Gina off campus for training
- PTA Book Club - Frindle; 6:30
Wednesday, October 19
- Jeans day in honor of October birthdays
- Fourth grade math PLC
Thursday, October 20
- Pep Rally Assembly planning meeting, 3:00
- PTA Meeting, 6:00
Friday, October 21
- After School Staff Choir Practice @ Chuys in Alliance 3:30 pm-???
Saturday, October 22
- Building in use by YMCA
Sunday, October 23
- Happy Birthday, Heather Granger!
Next Week at Northbrook
RED RIBBON WEEK
Monday, October 24"
"I love my Drug-Free Self" -Wear Red/hearts. Give students red ribbon
- Halloween Secret Pals begin
- Grades due in the computer by 8:00 am
- Fundraiser Kick-off, gym, 1:45
- Faculty Meeting
Tuesday, October 25
- Gina off campus for principals' meeting
- "Sock it to drugs" -Wear crazy socks
- PTA Book Club - Wonder; 6:30
Wednesday, October 26
- "My future is so bright without drugs" -Wear neon colors & Sunglasses. Give students a pencil.
Thursday, October 27
- "Turn your back on drugs" -Wear shirt backwards
- Staff Luncheon- Appetizers/Halloween inspired foods
- Report cards sent home
- 3rd Grade Musical- 6 pm
Friday, October 28
- National Chocolate Day
- "Hugs not drugs" bring a stuffed animal to hug. Give students suckers.
- Blazers Pep Rally - 1:30
- Each year the district and campuses determine an instructional focus - something that everyone is going to focus on to move the campus forward. Last Monday, Scott and Mallory led you through some work around our focus for this year - critical writing across subject areas and grade levels.
- We will talk about this throughout the year, but make sure you are thinking of ways to incorporate critical writing into as many lessons as possible as you plan with your team each week.
Professional Learning Communities
- We are a professional learning community. As such, we work together and collaborate freely in order to improve instruction and increase learning.
- Collaborative conversations require us to make goals, strategies, materials, questions, concerns, and results public. We will do this in a supportive, non-judgmental environment.
- Our focus must be on learning, rather than teaching.
- Our effectiveness is not based on how busy we are, but on how much progress we make on our goals of student achievement.
- to all of you for holding down the fort while Maggie and I were in San Antonio. A big shout out to Shannah for taking on an administrative role in our absence!
- to Leeann for putting together an adorable second grade show. The students had so much fun performing for their famiiles! Thank you to the second grade teachers for their support, too!
- teachers for your work last Monday to further your understanding of planning and teaching at high levels of rigor and relevance. It is extremely important that this be foremost in your mind as you plan and execute lessons.
Reminders and Notes...
- An important aspect of continuous improvement is celebration. For that reason we will have a pep rally next Friday, October 28. We will begin to have these on a regular basis. If you would be willing to help plan the first pep rally, please join us this Thursday, October 21 at 3:00 in the library. Let's make it fun!
- October 31st is Storybook Character Day (and yes, Halloween!). Please make sure that you send a note home about costuming. No weapons or bloody makeup.
- Reminder from the LA Department: Please do not send portfolio writing home. We will keep those pieces to measure growth.
Our mission is to work together to create a safe, nurturing community where every child has the opportunity to develop academic and social skills and a life-long passion to achieve at their highest potential.
Northbrook Staff 2016-2017
October 31 Halloween /Storybook Character Day
November 3 Picture re-takes/ Thanksgiving Lunch for Families to attend
November 10 4th Grade Musical @ 6:00
November 11 Turkey Trot/Early Release @11:40/ Parent conferences
November 21-25 THANKSGIVING BREAK
December 2 1st Grade Field Trip
December 8 5th Grade Musical @ 6:00
December 16 Class parties/ Early Release @ 11:40
December 19- January 1 CHRISTMAS BREAK
January 2 Staff In-service/Student Holiday
January 12 Talent Show
January 13 Talent Show day performance/ Early release @ 11:40
January 16 No School- MLK Day
January 17 Father/Daughter Dance
February 2 Group and Spring individual Pictures
February 24 Early release @ 11:40
March 3 4th Grade Field Trip
March 9 Open House/ Family Fitness/Kindergarten Musical@6:15/1st Musical@ 6:45
March 13-17 SPRING BREAK
March 30 Kindergarten Field Trip
April 14 Bad weather day??
April 20 Kindergarten Graduation Pictures
April 21 Mother/Son Kickball 6 pm
April 28 2nd Grade Field Trip
May 12 3rd Grade Field Trip
May 19 Science Day
May 24 Field Day 3rd-5th
May 25 Field Day K-2
May 29 No School
May 30 Perfect Attendance field trip
May 31st Award Ceremonies for 1st-4th
June 1 Award Ceremonies for Kinder & 5th / Last Day of School