APRES November Newsletter
An Extraordinary Place to Learn
A Message from Principal Wilson
Can you believe it is November already? We are almost halfway through what is sure to be the most challenging school year any of us have experienced. I want to take a moment to thank you all for your unwavering support through these uncertain times. There are no words to express my gratitude for our parents and families.
As we wind down this semester please be reminded to check your scholar's Infinite Campus (IC) profile in order to monitor grades, and to access progress reports and report cards as we will no longer provide printed copies of these documents. If you have not set up your IC parent portal account please see below to do so.
November is symbolically the month of expressing gratitude and thanksgiving. Please take a moment this month to express gratitude to our extraordinary teachers. Our staff works hard daily to give the best to each and every scholar we serve. This is often a thankless job, and while I know our teachers are not looking for thanks, they are so deserving. This is no easy task, and while everyday has not been perfect, everyday our teachers, paraprofessionals, front office staff and administrative team have given 100%. I can't ask for more than that.
I am happy to share that our School Governance Council (SGC) purchased desk shields for every staff member in order to effectively engage our face-to-face scholars in small group guided instruction. The shields were delivered and placed in every classroom last Tuesday. Thank you SGC for making our scholars and staff safety a priority.
Again parents and guardians, thank you for continuing to show grace, patience, and understanding as we continue to navigate our current situation. Thank you for your suggestions as to how we can improve and for being solutions oriented. I would also like to thank those of you who have donated items to support our scholars and staff. If you are able to, we are still in need of child sized disposable masks, individual hand sanitizers, and adult sized gloves.
As always, please feel free to contact me any time.
Principal Wilson, Proud Dolphin
Expectations for Face-to-Face Scholars
If you elected for your child(ren) to return to face to face instruction, please be aware that class sizes have NOT been reduced. Therefore, we will do our best to implement modified social distancing in the classrooms, when transitioning in the hallways, etc. Our student classroom assignments are based on data, and an intentional effort to maintain balanced class sizes for student and staff safety, no exceptions. So, know that we will not be honoring any parent classroom requests at this time.
Your child(ren)’s safety is of the utmost importance. Thus, here are a few reminders that I want to make sure you are aware of:
- Masks are required for all students. Students arriving to school without a mask will be sent home immediately to retrieve one. We do not have an excess supply of face masks to distribute to students. Every student who has arrived for F2F instruction received a reusable mask when they arrived. ALL STUDENTS ARE EXPECTED TO ARRIVE TO SCHOOL WITH A MASK ON.
- Per the new CDC guidelines, vented masks (with built in filters/vents) and gaiters are NOT allowed.
- Visitors are not allowed in the building.
- Parents will not be allowed to enter the building and walk students to class.
- We ask that you DO NOT drop your child(ren) off before 7:10AM.
- Remain inside your car during arrival and dismissal to ensure social distancing and safety. Staff will not open or close your car doors, so be prepared to assist your scholars.
- Please have your child bring his or her book bag, school supplies, and charged laptops (grades 2-5 only) daily.
- Students will not be allowed to share materials.
- Prior to sending your child to school, conduct a wellness check (ex. Take their temperature, make sure they do not have any flu like symptoms, upset stomach, etc.). If you see any symptoms of illness, please keep your child(ren) at home and contact your child(ren)’s teacher. If a parent is contacted to pick up an ill child the parent is expected to arrive within 30 minutes of the initial contact. Failure to pick up a sick child could result in a permanent change in educational settling for the scholar.
- Make sure you are on time for dismissal and/or present at the bus stop when your child is picked up and dropped off. No student will be dropped off without an adult present to receive him/her.
- During face to face instruction, your child(ren) will participate in special area classes such as art, music, media center, and P.E. Please make sure your child has an extra mask and appropriate shoes and clothing for P.E.
- Please do not forget to send a labeled reusable water bottle with your child. Water fountains will not be used due to CDC safety recommendations.
Arrive on Time
Our instructional day starts promptly at 7:40 a.m.
Students who are consistently tardy for F2F instruction will follow the same reporting protocol as in previous years. Students in Fulton County Schools may not receive an excess of 10 late arrivals within a school year. Please be mindful of this and bring your scholars to school on time.
Students who arrive late are subject to missing SEL instruction, Health instruction, and potentially the intervention block.
Infinite Campus Parent Portal
We will not provide paper progress reports or report cards, unless requested. The best way to stay abreast of your scholar's grades and assignments will be through the Infinite Campus Parent Portal. Use the link below to sign up for your parent account if you have not already created one.
On the Horizon
13-20 WriteScore Assessment 3rd-5th Graders ONLY
17 - SGC Meeting
23-27 Thanksgiving Break
4 - Schoolwide Spelling Bee (Virtual)
21- Jan 1 Winter Holidays
4 - Teacher Workday (No School for Students)
5 - 1st day of Spring Semester
18 - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday (No School)