The Ravens' Nest
Randolph Early College High School Newsletter
Week of February 28, 2022
Attendance phone calls will begin on March 1st. That means when your child is absent, PowerSchool will complete an automated phone call to parents/guardians.
- Starting on Tuesday, March 1st students will congregate in the mornings in the Armadillo Café. Students will not be allowed to come into RECHS until 8:50 am.
- Faculty supervision will begin at 8:30 am each day.
- Starting on Tuesday, March 1st, students will eat lunch in the café. Students are allowed to eat in the courtyard, Azalea Garden, commons, and Armadillo Café. Students are not permitted to eat in any other location.
- Students are still allowed to order from Southmont to receive a FREE lunch!!!
- Masks are now optional in RCC buildings.
The ACT: March 1
Stay off of social media the night before. Get lots of sleep and eat breakfast! Bring a snack if you wish and water. We will have some snacks for you.
Prom for Juniors and Seniors will be held on April 23, 2022 at 8:00 pm at RECHS!
Prom tickets go on sale Monday, February 28th through Friday, March 25th. Tickets are $30 for students and $40 for outside guests.
Spring Break will be March 7-11!
- RCC is in session on March 7th. For online students, please continue to complete work that day and check in with your instructor.
- For in-person students, buses will not run. You can provide your own transportation to class. This is student and parent/guardian discretion. If you are unable to come to campus, please communicate with your instructor.
- RCC instructors will be notified that RECHS has a workday.
Minimesters are ending and new ones are beginning soon. If you have a minimester class, don't forget to do your syllabus quiz!!!
Announcements from Ms. Perry, RCC Liaison
RCC Registration for 10th-11th Graders
- All current 10th and 11th grade students must schedule an advising appointment with our liaison, Mrs. Perry prior to RCC registration.
- Students can schedule appointments with Mrs. Perry from now until April 4, 2022.
- RCC Registration will open April 11, 2022 for Fall '22 semester.
- RECHS students will not be allowed to register for college classes until they complete their advising meeting.
- When you schedule your appointment, you must indicate whether you are requesting an in-person or virtual meeting. Not during academic class time.
- Parents and guardians are more than welcome to attend to these meetings.
Seniors, if you have not already applied for college graduation please do so immediately.
If you have login issues with your online classes come see me or call the helpdesk 336-625-1573
Sign up for the RhinoLeap Residency by March 18th!!!
RhinoLeap is interested in hosting a residency in the spring with Randolph Early College High School. We are looking at the residency running from April 11th through May 6th.
You do not have to be interested in acting and theater to participate. The residency focuses on various skills such as writing, communication, and music.
You do not need to be a member of the drama club or an actor/actress to participate in this residency program.
9th Grade-----$19.00 (Instructional and Science Fees)
10th Grade---$17.00 (Instructional and Science Fees)
11th Grade---$17.00 (Instructional and Science Fees)
12th Grade---$42.00 (Instructional and graduation)
Fees go to providing educational opportunities for students such as subscriptions, lab materials, supplemental books, etc.
Randolph NEXT: RCC/RCSS/ACS March 8 Senior Event
Seniors WITHOUT post-graduation plans, this is for you!!!
On March 8, 2022, Randolph Community College and other organizations are hosting an event to show you opportunities available within Randolph County. RCC will showcase their programs, a job fair will occur, and military recruiters will be present. Seniors can come in any of the time blocks below:
· 9:15-11:15 (reserved for HS seniors)
· 12:15-2:15 (reserved for HS seniors)
· 4:00-6:00 (open to the public)
Please register if you are interested in attending the March 8th Randolph NEXT event.
As we say goodbye to January and move to February, it's time to celebrate Black History Month! Here are are some resources:
- TIME: This Is How February Became Black History Month: http://bit.ly/3q08s3f
- People Magazine: Black History Month Explained: http://bit.ly/3cRU619
- Spotify: Black History Is Now: http://spoti.fi/3aQCP5U
- MLK Jr's "I have a Dream"
- Library of Congress: Fredrick Douglass Newspapers Collection
- Stuff You Should Know Podcast - Rosa Parks: Agent of Change
Important upcoming dates –
- Mar 7 - End of 1st 8-week minimester
- Mar 8-11 - Spring Break
- Mar 14 - Classes Resume, Begin 2nd 8-week minimester
You can always find the college’s calendar on our website at https://www.randolph.edu/calendar/index.aspx
Want to be a part of our Student Government Association at Randolph Community College? SGA elections will take place later this semester to elect our SGA officers for the 22-23 academic year! We will elect these positions -
- Vice President
- Public Information Officer
- 2nd Year Delegate (5 open positions)
Keep an eye on your student email for instructions on declaring your candidacy for office! Make sure to also attend SGA meetings! Our next meeting will be held virtually via Microsoft Teams on 2/4/22 at 12pm. Teams Link - https://bit.ly/3rcjKV2
Uwharrie Dreams - To join the online community of Uwharrie Dreams and unlock new creative writing opportunities, contact Professor Victoria Davis email@example.com or Dr. Gregory Vance firstname.lastname@example.org . The club is operating in an entirely online, self-paced format in Moodle for the spring semester of 2022. Check our flier for details - https://bit.ly/3HgFip7
UW Valentine's Day Contest:
Uwharrie Dreams is hosting a creative writing contest for Valentine's Day! Submission categories include poetry and flash fiction. The theme for submissions is "Timeless Love." The deadline to submit is midnight on Valentine's Day. Check out the great student prizes and full details on the contest flyer! Faculty and staff are also welcome to submit for the chance to be featured in a "Faculty/Staff Spotlight" online, along with the winning student works. Check our flier for more details - https://bit.ly/3raV9zU
RCC Graduation Application
Save the Date!
ACT (All 11th Graders): March 1, 2022
Spring Break: March 7-11, 2022
Holiday: April 15
Teacher Workday: April 18
Prom (dependent upon Covid restrictions): April 23, 2022
Celebration of Achievement: May 12, 2022, 6:00pm, Journey Church
Graduation Practice: May 19, 2022, 9:00am, Journey Church
Graduation: May 20, 2022, 10:00am, Journey Church, Ticketed Event
RECHS Expectations Concerning Absences Due to Quarantine
- Students must check their high school and college email daily.
- Students need to email their high school teachers daily by 12:00 pm for attendance purposes.
- Students need to check Canvas and Moodle daily.
- Students need to communicate with their college instructors.
- Students need to complete the Covid Exposure Concern form for RCC.