Prereading Plan (PReP)
Learning Strategy #29 by Kolby Brinker
Why Use Prereading Plan?
- Builds students' background knowledge and technical vocabulary.
- Allows teacher to estimate students' knowledge about the topic.
- Allows students another form to help build their comprehension.
- In addition students interests in the topic often increases as that participate in this activity.
- Important for english learners who have limited background knowledge about the topic or technical vocabulary.
How to use Prereading Plan?
- Discuss a key Concept
- Introduce Vocabulary
- Quick write about the topic
- Share the quick writes
- Read the assignment
skin and bones
When to use Prereading Plan?
- Teachers use this intructional strategy during thematic units.
- Before beginning a non fiction book.
Common Core State Standards for ELA
- Students identify the central idea and explain how details support it.
- students integrate information presented visually with the print text.
- Students clarify the meaning of academic vocabulary.