C & I Update
Explore. Learn. Thrive. 10.11.19
November 1st Professional Learning Day
In response to the feedback from our certificated staff, our Professional Learning day for certificated staff on November 1st will be site based with a combination of Vertical/Grade level team led time and Principal led time. We hope this will provide you with much needed time to learn and plan with the number of topics we are focused on this year.
This will also allow us to plan a great professional learning day tailored to the needs of our classified staff. If you were with us a couple of year ago, you might remember our keynote speaker, Coach Q. He will be back with us on November 1st to talk with our classified staff about self care so you can be present and ready for the daily demands of your position.
So, all classified staff, please plan on being in Quincy on Friday November 1st for a day designed for you. If you have topics that you would like to be discussed, please send them to email@example.com.
In summary for Friday, November 1st:
Certificated staff: remain on site
Classified staff: professional learning day in Quincy
More details coming soon!
New Adult Ed ESL Classes Offered in Portola
PUSD teacher works with team to modernize literature lists
ELA Vertical Team Lead (and Portola Jr Sr High English Teacher) Sara Murphy and her team are working to modernize the Core Selection reading lists. It's a complex process! Read more about what goes into making the selections at the link below.
Cary's Marketing Minute
College Board Opportunity Scholarships
League of Women Voters Essay Contest
CAASPP Public Release of Scores from 18-19
On October 9, 2019, the California Department of Education (CDE) publicly released the 2018–19 CAASPP results for the following:
· Smarter Balanced English language arts/literacy (ELA) and mathematics summative assessments in grades three through eight and grade eleven
· California Alternate Assessments (CAAs) for ELA and mathematics in grades three through eight and grade eleven
The results can be found on the CDE Public Reporting website.
For CAASPP, performance continues to improve slightly overall within grades as measured by the Smarter Balanced ELA and mathematics assessments. Statewide results in all tested grades showed that 50.87 percent of students met or exceeded standards in ELA, a .99 percentage point increase from 2018 and a 6.87 percentage point increase from 2015. In mathematics, 39.73 percent of students met or exceeded standards, a 1.08 percentage point increase from 2018 and a 6.73 percentage point increase from 2015.
Additional information about the results can be found in the CDE news release.
The ELPAC results will be available at the same website, following final verification of the data by the CDE.
Learn More About Smarter Balanced Assessments with the Smarter Content Explorer!
New from Smarter Balanced, the Smarter Content Explorer is a user-friendly web tool that helps bridge the gap between the language of test developers and the language used by teachers in the classroom every day. It combines the information provided in the Smarter Balanced Content and Item Specifications—key resources used in test and item development—into an easy-to-use search interface. Users can access customized content generated by a quick search—by subject, grade, and target or standard—which includes the following:
· Sample test items
· Standard and target alignment
· Depth of knowledge levels
· Evidence statements
· Guidance for selecting appropriate stimuli
· Task models
In addition, users can access assessment blueprints, accessibility guidelines, scoring rubrics, and construct relevant vocabulary. This extensive search capability helps users learn how the Smarter Balanced tests measure college- and career-readiness, how test questions are designed to provide evidence of what students know and can do, and how the test items are structured and scored. Check out the Smarter Content Explorer today!
Welcome to the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) or the English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC) assessment systems! Secure access has been assigned by a testing coordinator, or a user has self-registered for the Digital Library, so access has been granted to the appropriate online applications and systems associated with the assigned testing program and level of access.
To begin, use the secure verification link to verify an identity and set a password. This link expires after 30 minutes. If the account is not activated within this period, users must request a new secure link by selecting the secure verification link, entering the associated email address on the Reset Your Password web page, and then selecting the [Submit] button.
A new password must contain at least eight (8) characters and include all of the following:
- One (1) lowercase alphabet character
- One (1) uppercase alphabet character
- One (1) number
- One (1) special character such as one of the following: ~!#$%^&*()-_=+|;:,.<>/?@
Follow the instructions on the screen to enter a password for the username, which is the email address to which this was sent. Select the [Save] button to complete the process.
After the new password has been established, the system requires that the password be reset every 90 days.
Check Them Out! Interim Assessment Resources for Educators
As the 2019–20 school year begins, LEAs can look to several resources that are available to support their educators’ understanding and use of the 2019–20 Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments:
· The Interim Assessment Overview provides information about the interim assessments available and includes the addition of 42 focused Interim Assessment Blocks as well as the Interim Comprehensive Assessments for grades nine and ten.
· The three-page Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments: At-a-Glance presents the interim assessments available for the 2019–20 school year, by content area and grade level.
· The 14-page Interim Assessments Available by Grade for 2019–20 lists all available interim assessments, by grade, claim, and target(s). It includes the total number of test items and items that require local hand scoring. This information is for LEAs to assist them in their planning for the administration and local hand scoring of the interim assessments.
· The Sandbox training tool is available to help educators become familiar with the features and functions of the Interim Assessment Reporting System (IARS). This tool features virtually the same functions as the IARS, but uses practice test items and fictitious student data in a nonsecure environment with no log-on credentials required. The Sandbox can be accessed on the CAASPP Portal Interim Assessment Administration Resources web page by selecting the button labeled “Reporting System Sandbox.”
· The Interim Assessment Viewing System is a secure-access preview tool that can be used to view the interim assessments for professional development and training as well as to prepare for general assessment administration. The viewing system is located on the CAASPP Portal Interim Assessment Administration Resources web page. Log-on credentials are required for access.
Additional resources related to the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments are available on the CDE Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments web page.
Mileage Reimbursement Policy for District Meetings (including VT/CAIS)
October 15-Alt Ed Vertical Team Meeting-District Office, B117 Conference Room
October 16-Traps of a Trafficker Assemblies
October 18-Science Vertical Team Meeting-District Office, B117 Conference Room
November 1-Professional Learning Day
Help us share the great things going on around our district!
2019-2020 Grading Period Calendars
PUSD Employee Handbook 2019-2020
1. Visit the link above: (This has been updated on our websites as well.)
2. Select "Submit a ticket"
3. Click on your site: Example PHS or CES, depending on which site you need us to assist you in.
4. Fill in ticket details and confirm the 5 digit code before submitting your work request.
Please Note: Previous work orders did not migrate over to the new system, so we ask that you please create new tickets moving forward so that our Team can assist you in a timely manner, as we revisit your sites in the coming weeks.
TK/K- 6th Grade ELA
Curriculum and Instructional Services
Assistant Superintendent, Curriculum and Instruction
@kristymwarren on Twitter
@PlumasUSD on Twitter