CALVIN PARK UPDATE
April 13, 2020
Welcome to a new week! We hope that you enjoyed the weekend and are staying healthy and well. We would like to send a huge thank you to our staff and families as we are underway with our remote learning! Patience, understanding, determination, and lots of problem-solving have all been demonstrated by staff, students, and families as we all moved quickly to support learning at home. Our remote learning environment will continue to evolve as we learn and grow together.
We have received some additional information from the Ministry of Education about what assessment and evaluation will look like for our students in Term 2.
- For elementary students (Kindergarten to Grade 8), should school closures continue, the marks for Term 2 will be based on student's learning prior to the school closures on March 13. In the weeks ahead, teachers will be providing feedback only, based on students' learning at home.
Our staff have loved reconnecting with our students over the past week and we miss seeing them every day in the halls and classrooms of Calvin Park. Our main concern during this new reality is the well-being and health of your family so we want our approach to remote learning to be very flexible and responsive to our students' needs. We know that all these changes have resulted in a lot of uncertainty and anxiety. We understand that each family situation is unique and that each family will determine what works best for them as we move forward. Our message to our students is that they need to do their best and reach out to their teachers for support when needed. As we encounter new challenges, we will continue to work through them together so please connect with our teachers, Mrs. Pettingill, and/or Mrs. Suriyuth, if you have questions and/or concerns. Ms. Martin, our Office Administrator, now has access to check phone and email messages remotely so you can also contact the school by phone or email.
The Limestone District School Board will continue to share information regularly and we suggest that you check these platforms for the most up-to-date information from our Board.
LDSB Website https://www.limestone.on.ca/
LDSB Twitter: @LimestoneDSB
LDSB Facebook https://tinyurl.com/wbhjtku
LDSB Instagram https://instagram.com/limestonedsb?igshid=1epyma6c0g5qd
In addition, please follow our Twitter account: @CalvinPark_LDSB
Take care of each other, be kind, and stay well.
The Calvin Park Staff
IMPORTANT - Login Change for Office 365 and Google Suite
LEARNING AT HOME RESOURCES
Our Board and school use several electronic tools to communicate with families. The tools are part of the SchoolMessenger app which we use to share information by text, phone or email. In order to receive these messages you need to set up a SchoolMessenger account on your computer, tablet and/or by downloading the SchoolMessenger app on your smartphone. Once you register, you can set your preferences for receiving messages. This system uses contact information in our school database that you shared at the beginning of the year. Please inform the school of changes to contact info (phone numbers, email, and/or address) by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn how to:
- Set up a SchoolMessenger App account: set up your account, review your contact information and communication preferences, join teacher-instant messaging groups, and view all your alerts and messages in one place. Watch the video tutorial.
- Use the Communicate broadcast tool: choose how you will receive alerts including how to opt-in for text messaging. Watch the video tutorial.
- Use the Board mobile app: how to choose your schools, see your messages and report and review student absences. Watch the video tutorial.
Subscribe to school calendars: receive email alerts or download calendars or individual events to your personal calendar
ACCESS TO WIFI
Access to Online Reading
Accessing SORA E-Books and Audio Books on an iPad or Personal Device
2. Click on the SORA app on your iPad screen
3. Click on Find My School
4. Click “My School Isn’t Listed”
5. Type “Eastern Ontario Public Schools” or “Limestone”
6. In the drop down menu, click Limestone District
7. Enter your active directory username and password (LDSB credentials)
Accessing SORA E-Books and Audio Books on a Computer/Chromebook
2. Click on Find My School
3. Click “My School Isn’t Listed”
4. Type “Eastern Ontario Public Schools” or “Limestone”
5. In the drop down menu, click Limestone District
6. Enter your active directory username and password (LDSB credentials)