Thurston County 4-H News
Nebraska Extension - Thurston County
Stacey Keys, Extension Assistant, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rebekah Potter, Office Assistant, email@example.com
November 12 - Office Closed - Veteran's Day Observed
November 19 - Thurston County 4-H Council
November 22-23 - Office Closed - Thanksgiving Holiday
December 24-25 - Office Closed - Christmas Holiday
January 1 - Office Closed - Happy New Year!
January 14 - Thurston County 4-H Council
January 21 - Office Closed - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
January 26 - Beef Weigh-in @ Pender Sale Barn (9-10:30am)
January 27 - 4-H Kick-Off @ Pender Lanes (1-4pm)
Rebekah is HERE!
We have a new face in our office, many of you will recognize Rebekah Potter. She was an active participant in our 4-H program until she aged out a few years ago. Rebekah will be serving as our Office Assistant, she will have set office hours of Tuesday and Wednesday mornings from 8:30-12:30. Additional hours will be spread thought the week. Please helps us in welcoming Rebekah to our Extension Family.
Need to Know
Busy Programming - Out of the Office
Days we know that we'll both be out of the office are:
- Nov 7
- Nov 15
- Nov 27-29
Congrats on Achievement Night
Now is the time to start planning for the new 4-H year. It is important to remember that the evaluation process is the final step for a 4-Her to examine their knowledge and skills learned for the year, and how to apply it to the future. Just look how each "H" relates to the Career Portfolio.
Head: Goal setting, decision making, planning and organizing
Heart: Relating to other, caring about others
Hands: Giving through community service, being a responsible citizen
Health: Living with healthy lifestyle choices, showing good character
Here are a few suggestions to get started for the new year:
- Write down some goals that you might want to accomplish this year.
- Download the next pin application with the Diamond Clover Program to review the accomplishments needed to complete the form.
Brainstorm ideas on how to expand your citizenship and leadership activities to strengthen your Career Portfolio, there are grants available for youth to apply to make a difference in their community. If you have received an award and would like to order a plaque, contact the extension office. The cost will be $15.
4-H Online Enrollment & Re-Enrollment
NOTHING'S CHANGED!!! But since it's a new year we need you to re-enroll at ne.4honline.com. There are step by step sheets at http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/thurston/4-h-enrollment. For both new families and families that already have profiles. If you already have a profile make sure you DO NOT make a new profile.
If you are a VOLUNTEER for our program we also need to you to re-enroll in our online database. Again step by step information can be found at http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/thurston/4-h-enrollment.
If anyone of you has questions please call the office and we'll do our best to work through any issues.
Companion Animal and Wildlife Career Day
The Department of Animal Science and the School of Natural Resources will be hosting their Companion Animal and Wildlife Career Day on November 14th. It is open to students interested in learning more about careers and majors in these industries. Students can register via this link: https://form.jotform.com/82485871237163. Once they’ve registered we’ll send a detailed schedule and parking information. I’ve included a rough schedule below for your information. Space is limited to 50 participants.
Check-in: 9:00 a.m. - 9:15 a.m.
Overview: 9:15 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
Animal Science Sessions: 9:50 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
Lunch & Career Panel: 11:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
Wildlife Sessions: 12:50 p.m. - 1:55 p.m.
Wrap-up: 2:00 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
Martha and Don Romeo Scholarship
The Nebraska Association of Fair Managers will award a $500 scholarship to one qualifying 4-H male and a $500 scholarship to one qualifying 4-H female who are graduating seniors in the State of Nebraska and who plan to continue with post high school education. The scholarship will be awarded at the annual NAFM convention in January.
The selection of the scholarship recipients will be made by the NAFM Scholarship Committee whose members will consider the following:
- Each applicant must have exhibited his/her 4-H projects in a County Fair or at the State Fair within the last four years.
- Each applicant must hold a 2.5 high school grade point average (based on a 4.0 system). Each applicant must also maintain a 2.5 grade point average for the first semester in college and carry at least 12 credit hours.
- Each applicant must agree to apply the scholarship funds for tuition or fees at a two or four year college or its equivalent, to be judged by the committee.
- Each applicant must have demonstrated support for his/her school and community.
- Each applicant must exhibit during the application process a desire to achieve the goals of which he/she is capable.
- Financial need will not be considered in the selection process.
- One male and/or female finalist will be selected by each 4-H award committee in the Local Extension Office.
- Recipients are requested to personally accept the award at the Nebraska Fair Managers Convention.
Applications are due in the applicant’s local County Extension Office by December 1, 2018.
Thurston County 4-H Council Senior Scholarship
- Applicant must be a current High School Senior.
- Applicant must currently be an enrolled member of the Thurston County 4-H Program. And have been enrolled in 4-H for at least the past two years.
- Applicant must have completed and turned in their 4-H Career Portfolio for at least the past two years.
- Application must be completed and returned to get proper signatures to the Club Leader by April 1st of the current calendar year. Club Leaders will then turn all collected applications to Nebraska Extension in Thurston County. After submission, applications will not be returned.
- One $150 will be awarded to all applicants who meet the criteria.
- Scholarship will be awarded after receiving written notifications of scholarship recipient's second semester enrollment. For those students enlisting with the military, notification of basic training completion will be the equivalent.
- Scholarship monies will be sent directly to the scholarship winner.
This application is due to your 4-H leaders by April 1st. We hope you consider participating. This process and application will be reviewed by the 4-H Council in two years to re-access needs. The application can be found here: https://unl.box.com/s/af57hvl3s0pt58zr34mqjk8ngyyw20ep