The Panther Post
Back to School Edition 2018
Discovery Middle School is very excited to have our students and staff back to begin what promises to be a fantastic year full of hard work, fun and success! We are looking forward to welcoming the first class of 6th graders to our school, as well as welcoming our new 7th grade students and our returning 8th grade students!
Our building looks fantastic; our PTA volunteers did a great job creating fresh bulletin boards throughout our school to welcome students!
A special note to our students:
As you begin the school year we ask that you reflect daily on your goals and strive to do your best every day. Know that administration, faculty, and staff are here to support and encourage you as you explore different opportunities and grow as learners.
To our parents and community, it is essential that you take an active role in our students' success. It is crucial that we maintain parent involvement. Teachers, parents, students, and staff accomplish the most when we work collaboratively for student achievement. A school that aspires for excellence can expect no less!
The teachers and staff at Discovery are excited to have the opportunity to educate your children and help them discover their greatest potential.
We are going to have a fantastic year! Go Panthers!
DMS Open House: August 6 from 4:00 - 6:00 p.m.
Discovery Middle School is excited to announce our Open House which will be held on August 6 from 4:00 - 6:00 p.m.
Students will have the opportunity to walk through their schedules, meet their teachers, drop off supplies, and try out their lockers so that they will feel more comfortable on the first day of school.
Our teachers and administration are looking forward to seeing everyone at our Open House!
Open House Video: https://youtu.be/-IWZiDo5tFc
DMS Welcomes Two New Administrators
Introducing Mrs. Wade
Mrs. Kate Wade started her teaching career at Discovery Middle School in January of 2007. She taught regular 8th grade math and Honors Algebra. Wade was the assistant coach of Bob Jones Swimming and Diving and then transitioned to head coach of James Clemens Swimming and Diving when the team was founded. Wade transferred to James Clemens High School in August of 2013. While at James Clemens, Wade taught Algebra and Algebraic Connections.
In January of 2015, Wade transferred to the district level to serve as the Secondary Math Specialist for Madison City Schools. Wade is now excited to return to her home school as an assistant principal.
Wade is a graduate of the University of Alabama in Huntsville where she received her B.S. in Mathematics. Wade received both her Master’s and Educational Specialist degrees in Instructional Leadership from the University of West Alabama.
Mrs. Kate Wade lives in Madison with her husband, GerDono, and their 3 children: Jude (7), Holland (5), and Jace (3). Jude is a competitive gymnast, Holland enjoys playing recreational soccer, and Jace is training to be a superhero. The family enjoys traveling and going on new adventures in their spare time.
Introducing Mr. Yancey
Mr. Yancey comes to Discovery Middle School with 16 years of teaching, coaching, and administrative experience. His teaching career began in 2001 at Homewood High School in Birmingham, Alabama. Next, he served at Bob Jones High School for 11 years as a high school history teacher along with coaching a variety of sports.
When the opportunity presented itself, Mr. Yancey made the transition from classroom teacher to school administration, with his first administrative role being the Freshman Academy Principal in Huntsville City Schools. Mr. Yancey held the position for three years then transitioned to Athens City Schools where he served as an Assistant Principal of Athens High School.
Mr. Yancey completed his education at Jacksonville State University in Jacksonville, Alabama. While attending JSU, he played on the football team and earned a Bachelor’s Degree in History, Health, and Physical Education. He then continued his educational pursuits at Jacksonville State and earned a Master’s Degree in Instructional Leadership.
Mr. Yancey and his wife have two elementary age students who attend Madison City Schools. He enjoys sports, good food, the soul of music, spending time with his family, and working to shape the youth of America.
DMS Welcomes 6th Grade Teachers, New Teachers, and Staff
We welcome these wonderful teachers who are new to the DMS family:
Terri Beth Goodman
Tim Van Dorn
We are very pleased to have these talented educators as part of our school!
New Bus and Car Traffic Flow Map
Chess Team Tryouts
Deadline to Register for DMS Chess Team Tryouts - Wed. Aug. 8th
If you are interested in trying out for chess team, follow this link to learn more about chess team and how to register online. You do not have to be enrolled in a chess elective class to try out for the team.
DMS Football Schedule
- 8/25 (Home) Jamboree @ 10:00 a.m. (7th)
- 8/25 (Away) vs Emma Sansom Middle School (8th) *Time TBD (@ Gadsden Softball Complex)
- 8/30 (Home) vs Gadsden Middle School @ 5:00 p.m. (7th) & 6:30 p.m. (8th)
- 9/6 (Home) vs Buckhorn Middle School @ 5:00 p.m. (7th) & 6:30 p.m. (8th)
- 9/13 (Away) vs Meridianville Middle School @ 5:00 p.m. (7th) & 6:30 p.m. (8th) (@ Hazel Green High School)
- 9/20 (Away) vs Monrovia Middle School @ 5:00 p.m. (7th) & 6:30 p.m. (8th) (@Sparkman Middle School)
- 9/27 (Away) vs Sparkman Middle School @ 5:00 p.m. (7th) & 6:30 p.m. (8th) (@Sparkman Middle School)
- 10/4 (Home) vs Liberty Middle School @ 5:00 p.m. (7th) & 6:30 p.m. (8th)
DMS Volleyball Schedule
- 8/30 (Away) vs. Liberty @ 4:00 p.m. (7th) & 5:00 p.m. (8th) @ Bob Jones
- 8/31 Huntsville Middle Panther Smash – Tournament Times TBA
- 9/1 Huntsville Middle Panther Smash – Tournament Times TBA
- 9/4 (Away) vs. Sparkman @ 4:30 p.m. (7th) & 5:30 p.m. (8th)
- 9/6 (Away) vs. Meridianville @ 4:30 p.m. (7th) & 5:30 p.m. (8th)
- 9/8 Liberty Jamboree @ James Clemens – Tournament Times TBA
- 9/10 (Away) vs. Liberty @ 4:00 p.m. (7th) & 5:00 p.m. (8th)
- 9/11 (Away) vs. Monrovia @ 4:30 p.m. (7th) & 5:30 p.m. (8th)
- 9/13 (Away) vs. Buckhorn @ 4:30 p.m. (7th) & 5:30 p.m. (8th)
- 9/17 (Home) vs. Meridianville @ 4:30 p.m. (7th) & 5:30 p.m. (8th)
- 9/18 (Home) vs. Buckhorn @ 4:30 p.m. (7th) & 5:30 p.m. (8th)
- 9/20 (Home) vs. Monrovia @ 4:00 p.m. (7th) & 5:00 p.m. (8th)
- 9/24 (Home) vs. Sparkman @ 4:30 p.m. (7th) & 5:30 p.m. (8th) Tournament Times TBA
Stay Up To Date
Also, the DMS website at http://dms.madisoncity.k12.al.us/ is an excellent source of information about academics, teams, sports, clubs, teachers, news, activities, and more!