Kindergarten Knightly News
Learning, Loving, & Growing
Next week is our last week before Thanksgiving Break. We will be finishing up our Thanksgiving unit and discussing the holiday traditions that matter most to us. We will be also having a pow wow and being given a Native American name while enjoying a special Thanksgiving treat! Don't forget that there is no school November 23-27!
What Happened This Week...
- We learned about short u and the word families that accompany it. We played a fun game called "ug, ug, bug". This is a great game to play at home to practice word families. Ask your child to teach you!
- Our class read one of Mrs. Thomas' favorite books, Ed Emberley's Picture Pie. We use parts of circles to create many different pictures. It was so fun to see how each student created something different.
- We researched Pilgrims and the Thanksgiving celebration they had with the Native Americans. We learned all about the Mayflower and what a hard journey that was! We created our own Mayflowers through a direct drawing and are looking forward to painting them next week. We ended the week by creating a Friendship Feast trail mix that was so yummy! Thank you for our volunteers for sending in those items.
- We read Gracias the Thanksgiving Turkey and discussed the things that we are thankful for. We each wrote something and added it to a giant classroom turkey!
- We read There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie. We used the story to create question words and then sequence the story in order from first to last. This is an important skill in retelling a story, so practice at home!
- Our class enjoyed the feast with family and friends! We missed those who couldn't come put enjoyed getting to visit with others.
Things to Know
- paper plates
- bags of dried beans
- play dough
We Love Pretend!
Some items you might come across that we might could use in class would be:
- baby dolls of different nationalities
- doll bed
- pretend tools
- Little People plastic toys
- dress up items (especially career related)
- Lincoln Logs
Coats, Hats, Scarves, and Gloves. Oh My!