LIVELY MIDDLE SCHOOL
WEEK OF OCTOBER 28, 2019
FROM THE PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE
Greetings Falcon Nation,
The weather is starting to get cold, and that means it is time for basketball and soccer season. The Lively Girls basketball team had their first basketball game last night. Congrats to our girls for defeating Burnet Middle School. The boys’ soccer team plays its first match on Saturday, November 2nd. Last night beginning band hosted parents at the band showcase. Students taught their parents how to play their instruments.
Our last football games of the season will be on Monday, October 28th at Burger Stadium Annex. 8th grade will play against O. Henry at 6:00 p.m. and 7th grade against Webb at 7:30 p.m.
Our ofrenda is looking beautiful! I always love this time of year. Every year our Spanish classes create poems, write essays or stories in remembrance of loved ones who have passed away. Check out the pictures below or come and see the actual ofrenda in the library.
We have two new teachers on our staff at Lively. Please welcome Mr. Deol and Ms. Torres. Ms. Torres will be teaching Read 180 classes this year, and Mr. Deol will teach Math Pentathlon. Both teachers are teaching grades 6, 7, and 8 this year for various class periods during the day. Ms. Torres was born and raised in Florida and attended Florida State University. After college, she was a Special Education Teacher for ELA at a middle school in New Orleans for three years. Ms. Torres also taught 3rd grade in Madrid while completing her master’s degree from Johns Hopkins. She has a dog, a cat, loves meeting new people, cooking, and traveling. We are excited they are part of our team. Mr. Deol is a father of a high school choir and youth leader. Has lived in Austin for over 10 years and enjoys the diversity in culture and food. Loves math, kids and sports. Continues to learn everyday about what makes Lively MS special.
RAVE - Recognizing All Valuable Employees
In Austin ISD, we embrace a culture of positive relationships through creating exceptional customer service experiences for all. The district developed guiding principles – AISD CARES: Customer-Focused, Action-Oriented, Responsive, Empathetic, and Service-Driven. We want to recognize those who go above and beyond in their service to others. The Recognizing All Valuable Employees or RAVE Program was established to publicly honor those who exemplify the highest level of customer service. If you had an exceptional experience interacting with an AISD employee, please nominate them for a RAVE on the following website: https://www.austinisd.org/hr/customer-service/rave.
Teachers and parents, PTA invites you to become a member this year and support our school. Your membership allows you to have a voice in making decisions for Lively! Also, our PTA sponsors many events and programs within our school that would not be possible without your membership! You also have the option to make an additional donation to our school. 100% of the donations go directly back into the programs that benefit your child. Visit our website at http://www.joinpta.org/signup.asp and join today.
For the Halloween Dance today, our amazing teachers Ms. Nunes and Ms. Springer, dressed up as Frida Kahlo. Don’t know who Frida is? Read all about who she was here https://www.britannica.com/biography/Frida-Kahlo.
Ms. Nunes & Ms. Springer
Ms. Nunes and Ms. Springer dressed as Frida Khalo for the Halloween Dance sponsored by our Choir Department after school on Friday 10/25.
Ms. Springer's Class
Ms. Springer's class made calaveras out of recycled milk jugs! Then each student wrote a humorous poem about their creation.
Dr. Lepine made sugar skulls for the Ofrenda. Please bring your pictures of your loved ones who have passed to the Ofrenda, and other artifacts.
Ms. Nunes & Ms. Springer
Ms. Springer's Class
As a reminder, costumes are okay for Halloween. They must follow the AISD dress code; students may not wear masks, have costumes with knives, guns, hurtful, or hateful content. Have a great weekend and see you on Monday!
Stacie Holiday, Principal
Thank you Torchy's for being partner!
Home Slice Pizza
A very special thank you to our newest Community Partner, Home Slice Pizza! We appreciate you supporting our Falcons. Parents, when you go to Home Slice, take a moment to thank them for supporting our school!
Thank you Restore Austin for being partner!
Home Slice Pizza
Lively Library News Thank you for visiting the library! Over 2,450 visits so far this year! La Ofrenda del Dia de los Muertos:
- Please bring your remembrances (photos, favorite objects) of your loved ones that are no longer with us. We will return the items after November 4th.
- Library aides and volunteers are making monarch butterflies and flowers thanks to generous donations.
Book Fair is coming!!!
- Mark your calendars for November 12-15 to come buy great books and support the library.
- If you would like to volunteer, check out the PTSA Sign-Up Genius page: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0c45a9a92da7f85-lively.
Lively Library Amazon Wish List To Date: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/FENU9Y796Q7D/ref=nav_wishlist_lists_1? _encoding=UTF8&type=wishlist
Hope to see you in the library soon!
Lively Middle School Librarian
Hello Parents! I am looking for a handful of volunteers to get a few ideas up off the ground here at Lively! If any of these sound interesting to you let me know in the comments below or send me an email (email@example.com):
- Track Records Board: I am looking for a few artistically minded parents to help me transform the track records board (see picture). What we would need to do is paint the background of the board, change Fulmore to Lively, add established 2019 and get the track events painted onto the board. When the track season is over we would add the overall best times/distances from the season to the board too. We are going to display this so that students can come back for years to come and see if their track record stands. (this is a project that can be done on your own time and doesn't matter where it is being done)
- Concession Stand: We are hoping to get a concession stand running at our home sporting events. I will need parents run it/clean it up the concession stand at each game. This would need to be done during the home sporting events, normally on Thursdays from 6pm-8pm. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080b49a5ae2ba7fd0-home
- Open gym chaperones: We are going to start having an open gym on Friday nights (see dates in link) as a place for students to hang out with their friends in a supervised setting. This will be on Friday nights from 5-8pm. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080b49a5ae2ba7fd0-open
- Small Group Reading Interventions: we are looking for parent volunteers to come read with students one on one during advisory (7:45am-8:20am). Reading is such an important skill, we want to be able to improve the reading abilities of our struggling learners to help them feel more successful! Sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080b49a5ae2ba7fd0-volunteers
- Falcon Store Volunteers: we need parents to help run and organize the Falcon Store (an incentive program we run at Lively to help increase positive behavior). Sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080b49a5ae2ba7fd0-falcon
- Falcon Store Donations: the Falcon Store is an incentive system that is used with students. Students can earn falcon bucks by doing good deeds, working hard or generally being a good person. In order to get students to buy into the store, they must be interested in items that are for purchase. If you are able, please donate: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080b49a5ae2ba7fd0-falcon1
We have new Lively MS shirts that are available for sale, in a larger range of sizes. Shirts are $10, except sizes 2XL and 3XL, those are $12, and the long sleeve shirt is $15. Please see attached order form.
FLU SHOT CLINIC UPDATE
Hi, I’m Mikaela from Health Hero America. We do school located vaccine clinics. In case you haven’t heard, Caredox/Healthy Schools announced that they were pulling out of Texas and would not be conducting any more clinics here.
Health Hero will try to make this transition as smooth as possible. We are not affiliated with Healthy Schools/Caredox, and therefore we do not have access to any of their records, forms, or data. We realize that many of you have already registered with Healthy Schools/Caredox. Unfortunately, this means that you will have to complete a new consent form for each child and turn it in to the school before the clinic. You do not need to fill out a form if you do not want your child to get vaccinated!
Health Hero has provided over a million vaccinations to students across the country in the past decade. We have worked with Manor ISD and a number of school districts surrounding San Antonio, to include Comal ISD, Alamo Heights ISD, Blanco ISD, and San Antonio ISD. Our goal is to make immunizations readily available to any child, regardless of insurance coverage; there is NO out of pocket cost or copay. Your child’s health and privacy are our top priority; all information you give us is entirely confidential.
Health Hero America
Monday, October 28, 2019
Tuesday, October 29, 2019
5:00p-6:30p- AVID Parent Night
6:30p-8:00p- All City Choir Concert @ AISD PAC
Wednesday, October 30, 2019
3:34p-5:15p- Talent Show Auditions
6:00p-7:00p- Girls Basketball 7B/8B vs Webb @ Webb
6:30p-7:30p- Theater Fall Play
Thursday, October 31, 2019
6:00p-8:00p- Girls Basketball 7A/8A vs Mendez @ Lively
Friday, November 1, 2019
8:15a-9:15a- Parent Coffee
5:00p-8:00p- Open Gym
Saturday, November 2, 2019
9:00a-11:30a- Soccer A/B vs Dobie @ Dobie
Monday, November 4, 2019
Tuesday, November 5, 2019
8:00a-8:00p- Field Trip Theater
9:00a-2:00p- Field Trip Gear Up 8th Grade
Wednesday, November 6, 2019
4:00p-5:00p- CAC Meeting
Thursday, November 7, 2019
6:00p-8:00p- Girls Basketball 7A/7B vs Martin @ Lively
6:00p-8:00p- Girls Basketball 8A/8B vs Martin @ Martin
Friday, November 8, 2019
9:30a-3:00p- Field Trip Educational Talent Search
5:00p-8:00p- Open Gym
Saturday, November 9, 2019
9:00a-11:30a- Soccer A/B vs Mendez @ Travis HS
8:00a-1:00p- Band Region Audition Round Two @ Covington MS