English II - RESEARCH PAPER!
Topic, Format, Due Date
Research Paper DUE DATES
English II Research Project
The expectation is for you to develop a focused research topic, conduct the research, create an outline, draft a paper, and finally complete a three to four page research paper in MLA format. Though this task may seem a daunting one for the end of the year, it is an opportunity for you to explore a topic of your choice and show off the writing skills you’ve developed as a sophomore. The skills that we will practice in the coming weeks will continue to be relevant throughout your high school and post-secondary education as well. Embrace this!
It is also the expectation that all work you turn in be your own work in your own words. Proper citations are required when using information another source. Plagiarism of any kind will not be tolerated, and will result in a failing grade.
Week One 4/24-4/28:
4/26: Topic selection Daily Grade Grade: ______________
4/28: Depth of Complexity Daily Grade Grade: ______________
Week Two 5/1-5/5:
5/5: Note card research Daily Grade Grade: ______________
Week Three 5/8-5/12:
5/12: Outlines due Quiz Grade Grade: ______________
Week Four 5/15-5/19:
5/16: Works Cited Page Quiz Grade Grade: ______________
5/19: Rough Draft (handwritten) due Daily Grade Grade: ______________
Week Five 5/22 – 5/26
5/24: Final Paper (Classroom) due 2x Major Grade Grade: ______________
Daily grades will be based on a combination of completion, effort, and correctness. All materials will also be uploaded on Google Classroom and the English II Research Paper Smore flyer. If you are absent the day something is due, it is your responsibility to turn it two days after your absence to receive full credit. Anything later than that will have 10 points per day deducted from the grade for that assignment.
Email me if you need help:
For MLA Citations - https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01/
To Create MLA Citations – http://www.citefast.com
For Research - http://www.galepages.com/j105906005
Library - https://tinyurl.com/kexzg2p
Research Paper Smore – http://tinyurl.com/mlnjlba
What are the requirements for the research paper?
How Should I Format My Research Paper??
Purdue OWL MLA Formatting Guide
1. Complexity - the question should not be answerable by a simple explanation, fact, statistic, or a yes/no response.
2. Depth - the question should allow for a deeper exploration of your topic
3. Focus - the question should be sufficiently focused on a particular aspect of your topic
4. Opinion - the question should require your personal opinion and insight to fully explain the answer
PowerPoint Presentation on turning a topic into a research question
Creating Research Notecards
The following links will help you create research note cards:
PDF from Google Drive
The outline is due on Tuesday May 16th!
Your outline should consist of AT LEAST 3 body paragraphs. The more detailed your outline is, the easier it will be to write your rough draft.
There is a sample outline available below for you to use as a guide for your outline.
Research Process PDF
Outline Format PDF
Final Research Paper
Click on the link in Google Classroom.
Use the drop-down menu to create a new document.
1. Before typing, change the font to 12 pt., Times New Roman.
2. Change the line spacing to 2 or Double. The whole document is double-spaced.
3. The first four lines should include your name, your teacher's name, the class name, and the due date.
24 May 2017
4. After the date, center your title. You should create a unique title for your research paper.
The Economic Benefits of Constructing Wildlife Crossings Across the U.S.
5. Do not forget to include citations to your research in your paper. Failure to do so will be considered academic dishonesty. (See Cal State MLA Formatting Guide below)
YOUR PAPER IS DUE ON WEDNESDAY MAY 24th!
Late submissions will be accepted until Friday May 26th. No Exceptions.
Link to MLA Formatting at Purdue OWL & Sample Paper
Link to Cal State MLA Formatting Guide PDF