The Scoop on 3Sc
October 9, 2015
Mrs. Schaefer's 3rd Grade Class
Our Week of Learning
- This week we started our first novel study - Sarah, Plain, and Tall. We are really enjoying our discussions around this story.
- We have continued working on our questioning skills, as well as showing our thinking while we are reading.
- We are becoming masters at rotating through our reading centers.
- Students continued exploring our Tech Time options. This has been a wonderful motivator for students. Take a look at our class Symbaloo to see some of the resources students will be utilizing. Your child is very familiar with how to access these tools - I know they would be happy to show you!
- This week students modeled the distribute property as a strategy for multiplying.
- Students also used tape diagrams to model division and multiplication word problems. We used a resource called ThinkingBlocks to practice the tape diagram strategy.
- Students used Educreations on the Ipad to teach me these different strategies - we love using technology to show our thinking in the classroom!
- We also played a game called "Bump" to practice our multiplication fact fluency.
- This week our writing projects revolved around Grandparents' Day. Students wrote why they felt grandparents were the greatest, and also created an acrostic poem about their grandparents. It was fun showing these off at school today!
- We began our research on pioneer life this week. We watched a video on the day in the life of a pioneer. We discussed various aspects of pioneer life and students generated questions they still hoped to answer about pioneers. We will be continuing our research in the library and classroom in preparation for Sholes School.
- Corn Cobs also came home this week. I can't wait to see what toy your child comes up with!
This will be sure to tug at your heartstrings!
October book orders came home today. Be sure to check these out! There are tons of wonderful books available. Just as a reminder, you may also submit orders online using our class code - whichever is easiest for you. Scholastic BooksBook order code: LGHNC
Book order due date: October, 23rd
Reminders and Upcoming Events
- Monday, October 12 - No school
- Thursday, October 15 - Sholes school permission slip and money due ($8.00)
- Thursday, October 15 - Chaperone forms are due
- Wednesday, October 21 - Sholes School Trip (More Info to Come)