4th Grade Weekly Happenings
Reagan Elementary - Leander Independent School District
Week of December 15
What Are We Learning This Week?
- review of 9 week skills
- Sitton List 13 - to be tested on THURSDAY this week due to break
- Skill 1: suffixes
- Skill 2: homophones
- Subtraction strategies
- following routes on a historical map
Science: Making Connections
- Finish expository piece #1: My Favorite Place
- Grammar: comparative vs. superlative adjectives
- Blue packet handed out on Monday 12/15 and due after break on Monday 1/5 (posted on class website under Homework)
- 30 minutes per week of math fact practice (Xtra Math is recommended, but could use other websites and/or flash cards if you prefer)
- Online Reading Log & Questions - 40 minutes reading and online homework on website due Thursday 12/18; if you would prefer to turn in a hard copy, read 40 minutes and write a short BME (beginning-middle-end) summary on a piece of looseleaf paper. Three to five sentences, no more necessary.
- Sitton List 13 - Spell Check on Thursday 12/18 due to holiday party
- no spelling worksheet this week
Our current week
If you have volunteered to contribute an item to our holiday party, THANK YOU! You may send it in at any time this week. We have a place to store refrigerated items on campus, so you may send cold things in ahead of time.
Monday 12/15 -
- purple specials day
- math homework sheet is due
- reading homework due (logged online by 5:00 Sunday 12/14 or handwritten summary & minutes read turned in during class today)
- red specials day - Weltzin homeroom library day
- please let your child's homeroom teacher know if you would prefer that your child NOT see any of the movies below (see "Holiday Party Information" section below)
Wednesday 12/17 -
- orange specials day
- assembly with A+ Federal Credit Union about personal financial literacy
- yellow specials day
- reading & spelling homework due (early due to short week)
- Spell Check over Sitton List 13 in class (early due to short week)
- pajama drive ends
- green specials day - Eddy library day
- Class Party - 10:30 - 11:30
For which specials (PE, Performing Arts, Visual Art, Library) your child goes to on what day, please see the Our Town website under "Specials Schedule".
On the Horizon - Upcoming Dates
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
New items from the previous week's newsletter are in italics below.
Monday - Friday 12/22 - 1/2
- Winter Break, NO SCHOOL
- Reagan Spelling Bee in MPR - 6:00 pm. For more information, see below.
- End of Second Nine Weeks
Monday & Tuesday 2/2 & 2/3
- Staff February Conference - NO SCHOOL for students (please note, it is a 2 day break this year, vs. the 3 day break from past years
Holiday Party Information - Friday, December 19
Our students can't WAIT for the upcoming holiday party! There's a lot going on in 4th grade that day; here's some information you may find helpful:
PENNY GIFT EXCHANGE - FRIDAY, DECEMBER 19th
We will be celebrating on Friday, December 19th with a holiday party and a Penny Gift Exchange. Students are able to bring in a SMALL trinket type gift. This should NOT be something expensive, but rather something simple - for example, pencil cap erasers, pencils, piece of wrapped candy, sticker, etc - for each student in his/her homeroom. The morning of our party, students will exchange trinkets (much like a Valentine's card exchange). Gifts do not need to be wrapped or labeled to/from. *There are 22 students in Mrs. Weltzin's homeroom and 23 in Mrs. Eddy's; students are only to bring in penny christmas trinkets for their homeroom, not both classes.*Please understand that participation is optional; students do not have to bring in gifts.
HOLIDAY PARTY - FRIDAY, DECEMBER 19
10:30 - 11:30
Our class holiday party will be on Friday, December 19th from 10:30 - 11:30 in our classrooms. We will be making a snowman craft and enjoying some snacks. You should have received an email with a link to sign up to donate craft supplies or food for the party, but in case you didn't, the link is included below. Parents are more than welcome to join us; we'd love to have you! Please remember to check in at the office, and parking will be limited on campus, so Gupton Stadium will be available for parking if necessary. If you're leaving early on your holiday travels and wish to take your child with you when you go, please be sure to let either Mrs. Weltzin or Mrs. Eddy know when you leave.
FRIDAY AFTERNOON, DECEMBER 19
We will be winding down for the break Friday after our party by enjoying a movie afternoon. We will have the following movies available for viewing; students will sign up in class early next week. Please let your child's teacher know no later than Tuesday, December 16th if you would prefer that they NOT watch a particular movie so we may adjust his/her choices. You do not need to contact us if you are OK with all of the choices below.
- Rise of the Guardians (PG)
- The Santa Clause 2 (G)
- Ice Age (PG)
- The Polar Express (G)
- Frozen Sing Along (G)
A Note from Nurse Audra
Parents please remember these very important LISD policies for illness! If your student is running fever of 100 or greater, vomiting or having diarrhea before school, they need to be kept at home until all symptoms are gone without the use of any medications. This is to protect not only the other students in your child’s classroom, but your child as well. If they are already compromised with an illness, sending them into school only lengths that illness and opens the door for new contagions to be picked up. Thank you in advance for your cooperation in helping to keep all of our Rays healthy! As always, please feel free to contact me with any concerns or questions you might have regarding your student’s health.
Audra Abseck, RN
National Scripps Spelling Bee
Student in grades 3-5 are eligible to compete. The winner will advance to the next phase of the competition which will take place at Cedar Valley Middle School in Round Rock ISD on Tuesday, February 10th, 2015.
If you want to participate, click here to register. The 2015 School Spelling Bee Study List is linked below. Participation is completely voluntary and all preparation done at home.
For more information about Scripps National Spelling Bee,click here.
Elizabeth & Reanna