End of the Year News from 4th Grade
Week of 5/22 - end of the year
News at a Glance
- We will be completing DRAs in reading this week to see the progress we've made during the school year.
- Our last day of school is June 7th, it will be an early dismissal day.
- There is no school on Monday, May 29th, due to Memorial Day.
- We will have our end-of-the-year party on Tuesday, June 6th - if you are able to donate items for our gift basket prizes it would be greatly appreciated!! Prizes are given to students for winning the reading contest and there are also raffle prize opportunities for students who have reached their goal. Please see below for more information.
- We will be watching Holes on Monday, June 5th.
Congratulations to Mac for winning our Math 24 competition!
Last week the students competed in a class 24 challenge. Student went head-to-head (March Madness bracket style) to compete for the class champion! Next week the champions will go against the other 4th grade class champions to determine the 4th grade champion.
Egg Drop STEM project
Last week the students designed a parachute that would protect an egg from breaking when dropped from a second story. Here are Nate and Naman with their parachute!
What we're learning in the final days of school!
We will continue our Journey's curriculum to keep as much routine as possible. However, we will not be giving quizzes next week.
We have been doing Holes as a read aloud in class. On Monday, June 5th we will watch the movie with 4th grade and do cumulative activities that go with the story.
Pre-AlgebraWe are working on some pre-algebra skills in game format (who knew we were actually LEARNING!). Examples of problems include 5 + ___ = 13, where students have to find out the blank. We've been practicing this skill with all four operations.
We have been learning and practicing when and where we see and use negative values in real life. It has been very basic so far with vocabulary and real-world applications.
We have continued our multiplication and division fluency!! This is a HUGE skill that is applicable to all grade levels.
Mac, Jerod and Dalton are ready to launch their egg parachutes!!
Juan, Clayton and Cam worked hard on their egg parachutes! Theirs was one of two groups who's egg did not break when dropped from a second story balcony.
Brynn, Connor and Alex are ready to drop their parachutes!
More Egg Drops
Keara and McKenzie are ready to try their parachutes!
Grace and Alyssa worked hard on their parachutes! They were very close to a perfect drop!!
We were so excited about this project!
Piper, Alisha and Alexis are ready to try their parachute!
End of the Year Party
When is the Party and Can I Come Help?
Reading Contest Prizes
I would LOVE any donations you could give for prize baskets! Please send any items in with your child before Monday, June 5th. Here are some ideas for prizes:
- fun pencils, erasers, markers, stickers, etc.
- Movie tickets
- If you work for the Hershey Company (cough cough) and could get passes or food coupons.
- Books! Magazines!
- Dollar store items!
- Fun things for summer (sunglasses, bubbles, chalk, etc.)
- Palmyra gear
- Small toys (figet spinners, fidget cubes, bubbles, etc.)
- Hand sanitizer