By Yanna Cassell
The variola virus.
Cause of disease:
Contact with infected people through extended face-to-face time spreads the virus. Also through bodily fluids or bedding/clothing.
The genomics of small pox vaccine
- High fever
- Malaise (a feeling of general discomfort)
- Severe back pain
- Abdominal pain
How it's treated:
This disease is treated by the smallpox vaccine, it lessens the symptoms.
The only way you can prevent this disease is by getting the vaccine.
- Smallpox affected Mozart, Mary Shelley, and Abraham Lincoln.
- In 1796 Edward Jenner discovered cowpox could be transferred to humans.
- Smallpox vaccination was stopped in 1972.
- Historians think Jeffery Amherst gave smallpox blankets to the Natives, which was why their people got smallpox.