TAPP MIDDLE SCHOOL COUNSELING
& STUDENT SUCCESS CENTER
Shena Manning, Ed.S, LCMHC
Lead School Counselor
8th grade & 7th(A-L))
770-222-3758, ext. 030
TAPP MS TIGERS-EMPOWERING STUDENTS FOR THE FUTURE!
Taiwo Faro, M.Ed
6th Grade & 7th(M-Z)
Shena Manning, Ed.S, LCMHC
Lead School Counselor
8th grade & 7th(A-L))
770-222-3758, ext. 030
For Request to see Counselor for Students. Whether at school or at home students can request to see their school counselor at any time
MENTORS & VOLUNTEERS NEEDED- Thanks for Helping our Students Succeed!
For students who are New to Tapp (transferred, out of state or country)
Tapp Student Enrollment: 912
We want to ensure that your student receives the support to help them succeed both in and out of school.. Please complete one form for each child that attends Tapp MS. No worries.. Your answers will be kept strictly confidential.
Tapp MS Counseling Mission
How Tapp MS Counselors Support Students, Parents & The School Community
Tapp MS Counselors work in collaboration with parents, teachers and the community to assist in the growth and development of students as they progress through school. Also, they work with students in the areas of academic, personal/social and career development to help students gain the greatest benefit from their school experience.
As your Tapp MS School Counselors, our goal is to provide all students with opportunities for positive growth experiences through either individual support, small groups or classroom lessons. Small counseling groups are offered throughout the year for students that need additional academic/personal/social support. Parents who have concerns about their student(s) may contact their grade level counselor.
We are here for you!
UPCOMING PEBBLEBROOK HS PERFORMING ARTS AUDITIONS FOR 8TH GRADE PARENTS & STUDENTS-PRINT THESE OUT!
- Completed Pebblebrook HS Magnet Program Application along with references for Pebblebrook High School due to Mrs. Manning, 8th grade Counselor on November 15, 2019. https://www.cccepa.com/.
- Click on this link for Pebblebrook Application https://www.cccepa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Application-2020-2021.pdf
- Auditions for the Pebblebrook Performing Arts Program at Tapp MS on November 22, 2019 in the Auditorium. (Only auditioning students allowed)
- Open times for students to practice in the auditorium on November 8th, 13th &15th, 19th
8th Grade Only- Magnet Program Information and link for Electronic Application
The window for the Magnet Program’s online applications opened October 1, 2019 and closes December 2, 2019.Please contact Andrew Kutscher at firstname.lastname@example.org any Magnet School questions.
Please see Link for more Magnet Program information & Application for other Magnet Schools http://academics.cobbk12.org/index.php/ad/tl/apl/advanced-learning/magnet-programs/
Congratulations to our Tapp MS 8th grade students who were accepted into Cobb County Magnet Programs for the upcoming 2019-2020 Year! We are so proud of you!
Rising 9th Grade Information & McEachern HS Parent Night- November 14th @ 6:30p.m.
2019- 2020 Counseling & School wide Events Calendar- Don't Miss Out!
7th/8th Grade- Meet & Greet
- August 1, 2019- First Day of School
- August 1-2, 2019- 6th-8th Schoolwide Orientation to Tapp
- August 22- Open House for 6th Grade
- August 29- Open House for 7 & 8th Grade
- Magnet Program Meeting for Parents- Sept 5th @South Cobb High -6:30-8p.m.& Sept 10 @ North Cobb High School. **Both sessions 6:30p.-8p.m
- 8th Grade Naviance- College & Career Sessions- Sept & October
- Magnet Program Presentation for all 8th Grade Students- Sept 18th @9:30a.m. Tapp Auditorium
- Red Ribbon Week-October 28-Nov.1st- "Send a Message.... Stay Drug Free"(Enter essay, door contest, etc for neat prizes!
- Ne w Student Orientation - October 10th- For new students
- Naviance_ College and Career -7th Grade
- Tapp Serve Day!- Join us in tidying up our school!-October 26th 8a.m.-1p.m.
- PBIS Events (TBA)- Earn your PBIS Points & Rewards!
- See Links below!!- Pebblebrook Performing Fine Arts Visit. 8th Grade Student Orientation for Pebblebrook Magnet Program with Mr. Frank Timmerman,Nov 6 @ 9:30a.m. Orientation. (Music, Dance, Performing Arts). Auditions are Nov. 19th @ 9:30 a.m. Students will need to be prepared to audition-sing, dance, act). Students will be able to practice in the auditorium on Nov 8th, 13th & 15th @ 8:30a.m.-9:15a.m.
- Nov. 14th - 6:30p.m.-8:30p.m- 8th Grade Parent Night @ McEachern High School. This event is for parents and students.
- Signs of Suicide Prevention Sessions- 7th Grade
- Naviance- College and Career 7th & 8th
- PBIS Events (TBA)- Earn your PBIS Points!
- On my Mother's Shoulders Toiletry Drive- Nov 2019-Jan 2020-Please donate personal care items- socks, deodorant, toothpaste, laundry Soap, soap, shampoo,etc).Items will be used for the Counselor's School Pantry and to My Mother's Shoulders Community Sponsor.
- Toy Drive for Foster/Community Families Dec 1-15, 2019-
TAPP MS 2020 Events:
- McEachern Visit to Tapp- 8th Grade Students will attend session to learn more about courses and elective registration for classes -March 24, 2020 @ 9:45a.m.
- Rising 9th Gr Parent Q & A about McEachern HS- February 11th- 6p.m-7p.m.
- Rising 9th Grade Elective Course Selections- Elective forms due February 12, 2020
- National School Counseling Week! (Celebrating our Tapp MS Counselors- (Mrs. Bailey & Mrs. Manning).
- National College Fair at Ga. Int'l Convention Center-(FREE). TBA .You have to register per student/parent. Small Parking Fee- Further details are here:
- 8th Grade College & Technical School Visits
- 8th Grade College Trip
- Georgia Milestones
- College & Career Week
- 8th Grade Dance
- 8th Grade Olympic Day
- Honors Programs
7th Grade Only- Signs of Suicide Parent Information and Opt out Letter
7TH Grade- Signs of Suicide Info & Optional- Opt out Letter- Sign & Return by Nov. 14th
TAPP Student Ambassadors- Peer Leaders & New Student Support
A Student Ambassador is someone that will represent our school positively and help build community within our school. Student Ambassadors are asked to provide new students with an introduction to Tapp MS by giving them a tour of the school, helping them with their locker, introducing them to their teachers, school programs, Tapp P.R.I.D.E., peer mediation and providing them with a familiar face throughout the school year. Each new student will attend the New Student Mixer Orientation in the Fall, follow up in the Spring. and assigned to a SA for the year!
Our Mission: SCHOLARSHIP …..PEER LEADERSHIP...… COMMUNITY SERVICE
- Program Advisors: Mrs. Manning, Mrs. Rivera, Mrs. Miles, Tapp Administration
- 2018-19, 2019-20 Community Sponsor: McEachern Church, Publix
Your 2019-2020- Student Ambassadors:
Student Support Services Team
Sarah Howell, Social Worker, Community Resources
Travanti Joyner, School Psychologist
Stacey Ford, Support and Services Administrator Special Education
Teachers, please complete this survey for classroom school counseling sessions, groups. etc
(In School) Community Counseling Support
Nelly Gibson, NPS Community Therapist
A continuum of support, working with youth and families to promote long-term, positive outcomes .
Christie Asuzu, CCSB Community Counseling Clinican
For Parents- Understanding Bullying & Teasing
Entendiendo Bromear vs Lastimar Comportamiento de Burla y Acoso
News & Resources You Can Use:
ACT Prep Academy- For All K-12TH Grade Students, Parents & Teachers:
Want to Improve your grades this year?
Student's Sign Up! It's FREE---Click on the link below
Raise your students to the next level!
ACT Academy provides free resources for students that are unique to their learning gaps. It also helps them to strengthen their skills and prepares them for college. Access the best resources from top publishers, all in one place, and accurately aligned to standards.
*Khan Academy, in addition to over 2300 academic standards-based tools for all subjects are included to help students succeed.
8th Graders Interested in getting a Job?
8th Graders/Parents....Need a Work Permit? Click on the link below:
Summer Vacation is just around the corner and you need a permit in order to apply for Summer jobs! Be sure to complete this with your parent or guardian.
Applying For a Work Permit in Georgia. Minors aged 14 and 15 who are seeking employment in Georgia must obtain a work permit prior to beginning employment. The process for obtaining a work permit is simple and can be started online. Parents and Students, this is a fairly new process so please allow us 24 to 48 hours to get back with you as the issuing officer portion has to be done online. A link to begin the process is provided below:
2020-Upcoming 6th Grade Events
Tapp 6th Grade Students & Parents:
Articulation begins EARLY SPRING 2020! This is the time of year when Ms. Faro, 6th Grade School Counselor goes over to feeder schools to present to all rising 6th grade students (Compton, Varner, Dowell Elementary).
Varner- Jan. (TBA)
Dowell- Jan. (TBA)
Compton- Feb. (TBA)
Cobb Virtual Academy
Cobb Virtual Academy (CVA) is an online program that works directly with students and delivers online courses. CVA is not a school -- it is a supplemental program serving students currently enrolled in CCSD schools. by offering high school courses during both the regular school year (fall and spring terms) and summer term. Students have the opportunity to take online courses for high school credit in addition to their regular school schedule for a fee. There is no fee when students take online courses as part of their regular school schedule.
For more information visit:
or Contact CVA Directly:
Educational Programs & Camps for 6th-8th Grade Students
For more information on other Advanced Learning , Saturday & Summer Programs:
Parents please visit the websites and be sure to register as soon as registration opens to ensure a reservation for your student(s). Call them directly if you have questions:
Cobb County School: http://academics.cobbk12.org/index.php/ad/tl/apl/advanced-learning/
100 Plus Summer Enrichment Programs:http://blackexcel.org/summer-progs.htm
Camps for Gifted Students: https://giftedatlanta.com/summer-programs/
(**Note: The list of camps is not only for gifted but for all students)
Georgia Tech: https://www.ceismc.gatech.edu/ceismc-summer-peaks
Emory University for Gifted & Talented (Ages 5-17): https://www.giftedstudy.org/index.asp
Note: Visit the Mercer's Youth Programs website for the upcoming 2020 Registration dates.
Georgia State University. Saturday School for Scholars & Leaders:
The Drone Zone For 6th-8th
This fun and exciting course is designed for middle school students. Drone technology is positively changing the world we live in. Using the SOAR implementation model for drone usage in a K-12 educational setting, In addition to learning about drone safety, operations, active learning and research. Students will learn to code, fly and air race drones to complete simple tasks using drag and drop coding to complete an obstacle course challenge. Start your drone journey today!
Limited Seating Available
(NOTE: We are no longer accepting cash for program registrations. You can either pay online or in person with a check. No refunds will be given to cancellations 7 days prior to the start of your scheduled event. Failure to attend your scheduled event will also result in loss of payment.)
- September 28, 2019 (9am-12pm)
- October 12, 2019 (9am-12pm)
- November 9, 2019 (9am-12pm)
GEORGIA YOUTH SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY CENTERS, INC.
3201 CAMPUS LOOP ROAD NW
KENNESAW, GA 30144
Dual Enrollment is a program that provides funding for students at eligible high schools that are enrolled to take approved college-level coursework for credit towards both high school and college graduation requirements.
Move On When Ready(MOWR)- For 8th Grade Students & Parents
Georgia’s Move On When Ready (MOWR) dual enrollment program provides students an early start on their college careers by earning college credits while still in high school, and offers challenging academic experiences to qualified students
NAVIANCE - COLLEGE & CAREER PLANNING FOR ALL TAPP STUDENTS (6th-8th)
Click on the link below to get to the website:
What is Naviance?
Naviance is a comprehensive college and career readiness solution that helps districts and schools align student strengths and interests to postsecondary goals, improving student outcomes and connecting learning to life. All 6th-8th grade students will complete the college and career assessments.
PARENT VUE AND STUDENT VUE- MONITOR GRADES & STUDENT PROGRESS DAILY
Tapp MS Parents & Students, this is a great tool to monitor grades, missing assignments and academic progress. If you need log in assistance, you will need to go into the front office with DL/ID to request log-in access. You may also email our Parent-Vue Coodinator:
All students can sign up for the binder busters bootcamp scheduled throughout the year. However, the sessions in January 2019 are for 8th grade only. Scroll down for further details
Binder Busters/Organizational Skills BootCamp -- 6th & 7th Grade Mrs. Manning, Counselor
Thursday, Jan. 16th, 12:30pm
Counseling/Student Success Ctr- Individual/ Sessions also available throughout the Year! Sign Up Here!
Binder Busters is a foundational intervention(T-2) program for struggling students to help them develop and maintain basic organizational skills. Students will participate in research-based exercises and activities. Students will attend bootcamp classes and are provided the support, training, inspection and retraining. Students can self-refer or be referred by parents or staff members. First come, first serve basis. Please RSVP HERE or email your grade level counselor if you are interested in participating. Participants/Parents/Guardians will recieve 3-Day Bootcamp permission letter with detailed information.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Fixed vs Growth Mindset School Counseling Lesson
Students will attend an interactive classroom school counseling session with Mrs.Manning that explains a Fixed Mindset vs. a Growth Mindset. Students will learn about their brain and its ability to stretch and grow, goal setting and how to develop a growth mindset. Based upon the work of Carol Dwerk and curriculum by Lisa King.
For Students- Growth Mindset:
For Parents/guardians: What is the Fixed vs. Growth Mindset about?
For Parents, Teachers & Students-_Growth Mindset for students with Intellectual Disabilities. Listen to this impactful TedTalk with Loretta Claiborne:
6th Grade Success University, Study Skills-- Ms. Faro, Counselor
Monday, Feb. 3rd, 11:30am
3900 Macedonia Road
Powder Springs, GA
6th Grade Success University (Study Skills): Many students need additional study skills support to help with their academic success. This small group is designed to promote beneficial study skills, organization, and growth mindset skills. The purpose of the study skills small group is to help students maximize the learning process. This will require a commitment of time, effort, motivation, and discipline to explore all avenues leading toward school success.
Duration- 6 weeks
Introduction Session- TBA
Every Thursday beginning (TBA)
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Sports & Athletics- Ga Middle School Athletic Association- Articles- NCAA Eligibility
Region 1: Class 7
Article on Youth Sports Safety & Injury Prevention:
FOR PARENTS & STUDENT-ATHLETES- Learn what it takes to be eligible to play sports in College: