The Husky Hub
January 2023| Benzie County Central Schools | E-Edition
School & Community Connection
Not getting important messages or cancellations alerts via phone?
Please contact Mrs. Catina Crossman in the Central Business Office and make sure we have your current information on file.
231-882-9653 Extension 2001 | Option 1
Superintendent Erfourth Update
Happy New Year to all of you! Welcome to the second half of the school year. It is hard to believe our first marking period will end on Friday, January 20. This will be an early release day with students dismissing at 10:40 AM for MS/HS and elementary students at 11:50 AM. Report cards will be sent home Friday, January 27. This is also an early release day for teacher professional development.
January is National School Board Appreciation Month. I would like to thank our Board of Education members for their service and dedication to Benzie County Central Schools. Officer elections were held on January 9th at the organizational meeting. Congratulations to President Brian Childs, Vice President Jason Barnard, Secretary Chris Noffsinger, Treasurer Scott Gray, Trustee Lori Cota Hill, Trustee Matt Smith, Trustee Shannon Gillison, and Student Council Board of Education Representative, Gloria Stepanovich. Board of Education
Bond projects continue to make progress. The MS/HS cafeteria work was completed over the holiday break and looks amazing. The locker rooms will open on Tuesday, January 17. The weight room and Lake Ann Elementary preschool addition are both set to open before the end of January. Homestead Hills Elementary continues to make progress with exterior walls being completed and the roof going on. A special Community Forum will be held on Monday, February 13 at 6:00 PM in our Benzie Central auditorium to share an update on all of the bond projects and to tour some of the completed spaces at the high school.
Floor Care Concepts has been hard at work installing our new high school gym floor. The subfloor installation has been completed and the hardwood floor installation began this week. We will continue to provide updates on the progress of this process.
Our School of Choice Enrollment window is open. Interested students and families can begin this process by completing our school of choice application. Please return all of school of choice applications to Catina Crossman in the Central Business Office. Acceptance of applicants is at the discretion of the receiving school district and building preference is not guaranteed.
Our National Society is hosting a Versiti Blood Drive on January 24 from 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM.
Healthy donors are encouraged to attend. APPOINTMENTS PREFERRED but walk-ins are welcome. For an appointment, please call 1-866-642-5663 or visit www.versiti.org/mi
Schedule by clicking link below.
Benzie County Central Schools
High School Gym Floor Progress
Benzie Central Student Accolades
The aim of Benzie County Central Schools is to provide each student with opportunities in a supportive environment and ensure that they achieve the most from their potential. With this in mind, we take pride in celebrating all our students' achievements, whether academic, athletic, vocational or by way of good character.
December and January has been busy months for our Benzie Central students and here are just a few of their accolades.
- Jaxon Childers - The Detroit News All-State 2nd Team WR
- Cael Katt - The Detroit News - All-State 1st Team - DB
- National Honor Society volunteers in 2nd grade classroom at Betsie Valley Elementary
- Amazing holiday band and choir concerts
- 7th grade service project with Orchard House, The Maples, and The Gathering Place
- Youth Wrestling Camp has overwhelming attendance rate
- Crystal Lake Elementary Husky Pups sweep end of the year basketball tournament
- Middle School and High School Choir participants in 106 KHQ Holiday Choir Competition
- Chamber Choir spreads Holiday Cheer at the Maples
- Chamber Choir spreads Holiday Cheer at Crystal Lake Elementary
- Varsity Volleyball team - Academic All-State
- Benzie Central alumni visit Mrs. Huddleston's Biology classes
- First annual Pet Food Drive was a success
- Lake Ann Elementary Husky Pups; 3-0 for Tournament and 12-0 for the season
- Varsity Girls Basketball defeats Frankfort
- Varsity Boys Basketball defeats Frankfort
- Benzie Academy students were interviewed by Mike Novik, the CFO of Clark Manufacturing for summer internships
- Crystal Lake Elementary STEM fun
- Wrestling team wins team tournament at Sanford Meridian
- Husky Robotics Team Perpetual, Emmett Jaquish wins top honor, Excellence Award at the Mid-Michigan VRC Spin Up Tournament
- Youth wrestlers compete at TC West GREIGHTS Tournament
- Hunter Jones Elite 800-Meter winner at the Michigan Indoor Track Series
- Benzie Central Football program is the recipient of the Steve Spicer Community Leadership Award
- Benzie Central Varsity Football team earns First-Team Academic All-State (3.90) honors for Division 7
- Wyatt Noffsinger earns the 2022 Burlsworth Character and Sportsmanship Award
After School Tutoring Program | Middle School and High School
The only parent/guardian requirement is someone needs to pick the students up promptly at 4:00 pm or have set up a Benzie Bus to bring them home. We have some Benzie Bus Passes available. Phone number Benzie Bus (231) 325-3000.
Do you love interacting with people? Have you ever considered serving your local community in a meaningful way? Do you enjoy challenges and making a difference in the lives of children? If so, Benzie County Central Schools just might be what you have been looking for! We are hiring for Middle School/High School Paraprofessionals, Bus Drivers, substitute teachers, and athletic coaches. Please check out our website for more details. Join our Husky family!
If you or someone you know is in need of supplies for babies or toddlers, Advent Lutheran Church has a free baby pantry on the second Saturday each month from 9 am-noon. All are welcome! If you have an immediate need, Advent Lutheran sponsors a closet at Betsie Valley Elementary 231-378-4164.
LAUMC Food Pantry
Open at the church in Lake Ann, next to Stone Oven (park in the back parking lot and use back door entrance) on:
Tuesday’s 9am - 12pm
Wednesday’s 4:30pm - 6:30pm
Thursday’s 9am - 12pm
Any questions can be directed to the LAUMC office at (231) 275 - 7236.
If your community organization would like to be added to the Husky Hub, please contact Catina.
NMCAA Preschool Enrollment | 800-632-7334 - Register by Phone
Executive Assistant to the Superintendent | Board of Education Administrative Assistant | Director of Communications, Catina Crossman
The Husky Hub is from the desk of Mrs. Catina Crossman.