The Gayman Gazette
What's Happening in and Around Gayman Elementary School?
April 26, 2013
Important Upcoming Dates
Friday, May 3rd – Spring Book Fair
Saturday, May 4th – Spring Carnival
Monday, May 6th Spotlight on the Arts (Grade 1 @ 6:45 PM; Grade 5 @ 8:00 PM)
Thursday, May 9th – Seussical Jr. Performance at 7:00 PM
Friday, May 10th – Seussical Jr. Performance at 7:00 PM
Monday, May 13th – Friday, May 17th – Home & School Clothing Drive
Thursday, May 23rd – Home & School Meeting @ 7:30 PM
Monday, May 27th – No School - Memorial Day Holiday
Tuesday, May 28th – Evacuation Drill to Tohickon
Thursday, May 30th – String Instrumental Concert
Saturday, June 1st – Gayman 5K Fitness Run
Friday Morning Newscast Now Available to View
Mustang Madness Right Around The Corner
Jumping for joy
Gayman Students and Staff Are Jumping for Joy. The entire school was treated to a rocking jump rope assembly on Thursday morning led by head coach Justin Pilmore and his team from the Bucks County Jump Rope Club. While entertaining the crowd with their athletic skills and amazing tricks, Justin shared messages about the value of practice, patience and perseverance, as well as the importance of fun and fitness. The students LOVED seeing their teachers attempt some of the jump rope tricks and moves. It was the highlight of the assembly.
Strut Your Mutt
The "Strut Your Mutt" charity event sponsored by our very own Roxy Reading Program is scheudled for Saturday, May 4th. Come walk with your favorite therapy dogs!
Transportation Staff Appreciation Day
On Thursday, May 9th Gayman Elementary and the Forty Assets Committee will celebrate Transportation Staff Appreciation Day. We are asking each child to honor his/her bus driver, van driver or crossing guard in some way - make a card, draw a picture or simply say "Thank you".
For complete details on how to honor these very important people in our children's lives please click here.
Hooray for Reading Olympics
On Tuesday, April 23rd, 39 students from Gayman’s 5th and 6th grades participated in the Bucks County Reading Olympics at Mill Creek Elementary School. Our three teams, “British Squids”, “Nutter Utter Butters”, and “Beast Mode Readers” competed against students from other schools in Bucks County by answering questions about books from the Reading Olympics reading list. Our students worked hard for the past several months preparing for the event. They read from a list of 45 books; some students read all 45! Please join me in congratulating all our Reading Olympics readers!
At the April 23, 2013 School Board Meeting, the Central Bucks School District School Board:
1. Heard the Tamanend Jazz Band performance before the school board meeting and via video, the Pledge of Allegiance was led by Mrs. Kovnot’s 1st grade Jamison class.
2. Heard the Academic Spotlight about “Training Peer Mentors”. This is a video created by Lindsay Smith and Renee McErlean, teachers at Bridge Valley Elementary School, along with their students demonstrates what they have learned about Autism and what they have learned about being a friend.
3. Heard the Superintendent’s Report, Curriculum, Finance, Human Resources, Operations, IU Board, and MBIT Committee Reports.
4. Approved the School Board Minutes.
5. Approved the Treasurer’s Report.
6. Approved the Resolution for the 2013-2014 Proposed Final Budget. The proposed final budget for 2013-2014 is $290,683,982. There will be a “zero” increase in Real Estate Taxes for the 2013-2014 school year. The school board will take action on the final budget adoption at the May 28 meeting.
7. Ratified the transfer of $23 million from the General Fund to the Debt Service Fund.
8. Approved Purchasing Items for the following subject areas: General Teaching, General Art, Secondary Art, Physical Education, Science, Tech Ed General Hardware, Team Sports Supplies.
9. Approved Construction Contracts as follows:
- Emergency generator at the Ed Services Center to Pinnacle Electrical Construction - $262,400
- Roofing replacement at the Ed Services Center to Laurant Construction Co. - $199,695
- Roofing repairs and installation of a new single ply membrane at the Transportation Annex to Union Roofing Contractors - $98,000
10. Tabled School Board Policies Use of Medications and Electronic Signatures so that the proposed policies can be posted on the CBSD website for public review.
11. Approved School Board Policy 902-1 – Cable Television.
12. Approved various personnel items and student trips.
13. Received a Sabbatical Leave of Absence as an information item.