A Christmas Carol Background
- Charles Dickens grew up during this time period and became a very famous and successful novelist.
- Since Dickens was living during the Industrial Revolution, he went through many hardships such as child labor.
- Charles did not let all the rough and hard times in his life stop him from being successful.
- Industrialization is the large scale introduction of manufacturing, advanced technical enterprises, and other productive economic activity into an area, society or country.
- Industrialization led to many changes in urbanization and rural life. Cities grew very rapidly. Factory centers grew into cities with hundreds of thousands of people. This produced hardships, housing stock and sanitary facilities could not keep pace. As for rural life, the percentage of farmers declined. Although, there were many improvements in productivity and new equipment was made.
- The Industrial Revolution led to many different discoveries such as the use of iron and steel, new energy sources, new machines, development of the factory system, and developments in transportation and communication.
- Conditions of labor for workers such as factory employees had to work long hours and had to leave the farm. They lived near the factory and they were forced to work at a very fast pace.
- By the time Queen Victoria died in 1901, almost every area of life was changed dramatically. The empire over which Victoria had presided would not be able to survive the 20th century.
- The Industrial Revolution first began in England, when the expansion in trade had made it possible to accumulate capital to use in industry. A cheaper system of production had grown up, and there were many new ideas in England that led to the movement.
Child Labor and Poverty during the Victorian Age
- Child labor was a big problem during this time because if you were an adult and you had children, they would be working very hard to help their parents pay off debts. If the debts don't get paid off, the parents will have to go to prison.
- Many people during this time period were also living in poverty due to lack of money because some citizens could not work.