News from the Canadian Association for Photographic Art
CAPA Monthly News/Nouvelles Mensuelles de l'ACAP
Welcome to the June 2020 Issue of CAPA Monthly News.This newsletter for members and friends of CAPA will bring you up to date information on all things CAPA for photographers all across Canada.
Important Notice: The Annual General Meeting will now be held virtually via Zoom on the same date and time: Saturday July 18, 2020 at 2:00 pm Atlantic Time. All CAPA members are welcome to attend, but must be registered in advance. More details, including the Agenda, 2019 AGM minutes and a proxy form, are on this page.
As always, you can read this and all past newsletters online. (Give us a few hours to get it uploaded.)
The CAPA Office has moved.The corrected mailing address is:
PO Box 231
Salmon Arm, BC V1E 4N3
For general enquiries, email CAPAOffice@capacanada.ca.
For membership enquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
An email will be going out shortly to all Apprentice Judges from Judges Liaison Glenn Bloodworth offering online Zoom practise sessions. There are four dates in June and July available. Apprentice Judges can sign up to participate and gain additional experience in judging images.
Photo: Take Care by Nancy Yok Sim Lam
Reminder to all Judges
Don't forget to review the new information on certification requirements and the viewing environment for online judging, And if you have not already updated your information please fill in and send the form. More information and forms can be downloaded here.
This month we recognize three more members who first joined CAPA 20 years ago in 2000: Mary and Neil Anthes of Westbank, BC and John Lyon of Kimberley, BC, who is in the process of becoming a CAPA Certified Judge. Thanks for your loyalty and support of CAPA.
Photo: Eggs by Luba Citrin
The 2020 Johnson Scholarship Program is open to children and grandchildren of all CAPA members (even if they are not Johnson policyholders). Fifty scholarships, valued at $1,000 each, will be awarded to eligible students completing high school in 2020 and starting post-secondary education in the fall of 2020. The deadline is July 15.
A reminder to all clubs: Please let us know if there are changes with your club's contact information. We need your club's primary contact email to send communications and your club's correct mailing address so that we know where to send the magazine. You can email this information to our Membership Administrator Eleanor Campbell, or phone her at 236-586-3938.
Congratulations to the club winners of the Monochrome Competition:
- Gold Medal: Jiahua Elite Photography Association, Toronto, ON
- Silver Medal: Toronto Digital Photography Club, Toronto, ON
- Bronze Medal: Trillium Photographic Club, Burlington, ON
This newsletter features some of the winning images from the Club Monochrome Competition. You can view all the club winners here. There were a total of 302 images submitted from 52 member clubs.
Read all the latest competition details in the latest Competition News. See the list of 2020-21 Competitions here.
Did you know?
A family membership includes you, your spouse/partner and two children under 25 years old living at the same address. With a family membership, each member of your family enjoys all the benefits and privileges available to individual members. Read more.
Joining CAPA is the best investment in your photography you can make. Become a member now for a year filled with learning, fellowship, new friends and fun - that's what we are all about.
Photo: Concentration by Carole Duhaime
The Summer issue of Canadian Camera Magazine is on the way to your mailbox. The edition features Flowers Under Water, Finding Yourself in Black and White and Water Drop Photography. Plus the regular features: Meet the Volunteers, Club Focus, Club News and competition results.
Photo: New Walterdale Bridge Edmonton Alberta by Keith Walker
Individual CAPA members are encouraged to send their story ideas to editor-in-chief Ralph Bridgland. The deadline for the Fall issue is July 10.
Please note: With almost 1200 members, it is not possible to list all members in every issue. We try to list members quarterly in the issue that follows the date you renew or join CAPA.
Network by Binh Lu To
Bald Eagle by Pat Wintemute
- Congratulations to Photo Fredericton, Celebrating their 40th Anniversarythis year.
- The next Canadian Camera Conference "une marée de découvertes" , "a Tide of Discoveries" June 25-27, 2021 in Moncton, New Brunswick. The first newsletter will be sent out in July. Go to the website and sign upto receive all the latest conference news.
- Catch up on all the Atlantic Zone News here.
- The London Camera Club recently came in first in the prestigious Glennie International Awards.
- The Toronto Digital Photography Club also placed in the Glennies.
- CAPA Member Missy Mandel claimed the Best in Show Award in the same competition.
- Congratulations to the Jiahua Elite Photography Association of Toronto, ON, celebrating 5 years since first joining CAPA.
- Read all the latest news from the Ontario Zone here.
- The Victoria Camera Club's May-July issue of the Magazine Close-Up is out.
- Visit the Pacific Zone News page to download the magazine and catch up on all the latest news.
- Congratulations to the Manitoba Camera Club of Winnipeg, MB, celebrating 5 years since first joining CAPA.
- Catch up on all the latest Prairie Zone News here.
- It is with sadness that we announce the passing of CAPA member Ann Pearson of Westmount, QC. She was an active member of the Montreal Camera Club. Read more about Ann and view some of her work.
- Cette année, le Club Photo Évasion tiendra son exposition annuelle sur un mode virtuel.
- Catch up all the latest News from the Quebec Zone here.
- May 25 to September 15: Exposition annuelle Club Photo Évasion
- July 10: Submission deadline for the Fall Issue of Canadian Camera Magazine
- July 15: Johnson Scholarship submission deadline
- July 18: CAPA Annual General Meeting via Zoom
There will be no newsletter for July and August while the editorial team takes a summer break. Be sure to check the website for all the latest news and information.
Have a safe summer, hopefully with time to focus on the things that are important to you. Be Safe - Be Creative.