Mrs. Bertsche and Mrs. Gilbert
Newsletter Week of September 23, 2013
What we are learning
Reading –As we start reading we will be learning about the front cover, back cover, spine, title, author, and illustrator. Students are also encouraged to ask questions while reading. Students will also be learning he difference between a story and a poem. Students are working on being able to tell the characters in a story.
Math – Working on the number 5, the shape oval, and counting out a certain number of objects.
Color Words – This week we will be working on the color purple.
Letters – We will be working on the upper and lower case leter "Ff". Please work with your child on all their letters and sounds.
Sight Words – Please practice the sight words.
Writing - We will be working on writing your child's name, the number and word 5, capital and lower case lettter "Ff", purple.
· Story (“Tam”): Please practice reading the story with your child. Work with your child every night on this story so that your child can read it perfectly to me on Friday. Please practice reading the title of the story with your child too.
· Sight Words: Practice sight words with your child daily. (if you need notecards please let me know; do not get rid of these; you will add to these every week)
· Writing Worksheet: Please practice tracing “F”, “f”, purple, 5, five, oval. On the line after each you practice writing each (all the way across the line).
· Purple Worksheet: Please write your name at the top.
Other Classroom News
* Please make sure you are checking your child's rocket folder and behavior chart every night.
* Please make sure you are checking and signing your child's behavior chart every night.
* If you have any notes to send in, please put them in the rocket folder.
* If you are sending money in please put it in a sandwich bag or an envelope saying what the money is for and put it in the rocket folder.
* Please do not allow your child to bring toys to school unless it is for an assignment.
* Please work with your child on zipping up coats and jackets and tying their shoes. After winter break we will not be doing this for the children any more.
*If you are sending in birthday treats please make sure you are sending in enough for 23 in the AM and 29 in PM.
*Permission slips for our Benton Farm field trip are do on October 4th. We are in need of chaperones for the field trip.
*Please make sure your child's binder is in order. The order is behavior chart, newsletter, homework, practice work, take home folder.
-September 23rd: Skate Night: 6-8 Florence Fundome
-September 23rd - 27th: Book Fair
-September 24th: Family Book Fair Night: 5:30 - 7:30
-September 24th: Our class will go to book fair
-October 4th: Permission slips are due.
-October 9th: Field Trip to Benton Farm