The Wonderful Whales
Miss Vananzo's Amazing Team: News for the Week of Oct. 19
News from Room 25.
Swimming Through a Great Week!
In reading/spelling we....
- reviewed the sound of long "u" by playing several games, read and wrote words with this week's rule and practiced identifying the syllables in a word and how many sounds we hear in individual words
- read a Scholastic News magazine title: Bats in Blankets. We began to identify the purposes of text features for non-fiction information: title, subheading, subheadings, bold print, captions and photographs/illustrations.
- attending an assembly titled Professor Bodywise. The students really enjoyed this performance. This play emphasized health and safety messages with full-body costumes, characters, and puppets using original music and dance.
- visited the computer lab and worked in the Dreambox program which reinforces math skills.
- As mathematicians we....
- charted strategies to solve subtraction and addition story problems
- we doubled quantities and enjoyed the story: Two of Everything: which tells about a magic pot that two
- wrote doubles story problems to tell what they would put in the double pot and how it would be doubled
Ocean of Events
- School Store
Thursdays - 2nd & 3rd grade
CANCELLED: Oct. 27th FluMist clinic at JES. May be rescheduled for December pending availability of FluMist. (Contact: School Nurse Melissa Ducroix - firstname.lastname@example.org)
October 27: Papa John’s Pizza Day for JES PTA
- October 28: Beans and Bread Breakfast donation for the Homeless
- October 30: 9:45am JES Halloween Parade – families welcome; First marking period ends; 12:50pm DISMISSAL
- Nov. 12: California Pizza Kitchen (Hunt Valley) donates 20% to JES PTA
- American Education Week – Nov. 16-20 – JES visitation schedule TBA
It's a Whale of a Word
Our word of the week is:
Definition: the clothes that are worn by someone (such as an actor) who is trying to look like a different person or thing
Sentence: I can't wait to go trick-or-treating in my ghost costume.
**A sticker to any student who shows me the word of the week on a piece of paper.
This is a wonderful website for review of our weekly spelling words. The students can play games and take practice spelling tests. Please follow these directions to find our lists.
2. On the home page click the SEARCH TAB
3. Then click, Teacher/Parent
4. Type: Vananzo in the search box. Then click search.
5. Then click on my name.
6. The weekly spelling lists will appear.
Gym: Monday and Friday
Library Books are Due Each Wednesday
Dive Into Reading Program
The students are beginning to bring in their signed forms for the month of October. They place them in a special bin. I will check them as quickly as I can. Forms must be signed by and adult before prizes will be awarded. I hope this program motivates The Wonderful Whales to READ and ENJOY!