Writing and Education
By: Alexis Broady and Sarah Cumpston,4th hour
What jobs do scribes do?
- They had to help administer the laws, also collect taxes, and supervise some government projects.
- They could be Egypt's official record keeper too.
- They work at the pharaoh's palace, or even travel along with members of the court to keep an official record of events!
What was school like?
- School life was not that easy for students and the days were very long.
- Teachers could be strict and they would treat students harshly.
- Any student who wasn't willing enough to learn was severely scolded and even beaten!
- Scribal students spent as much as four years copying the hieroglyphic signs over and over again.
What classes did scribes come from?
- Scribes were in the middle class along with craftspeople and merchants.
- Scribes were respected because of the people they worked for.
- Scribes could move up or down in the social classes.
What is Hieratic Script?
- It's a simpler cursive writing system that students had learned
- The system was more practical and was used for such everyday tasks like record keeping.
- Because the hieroglyphics were so hard for students to master they came up with the Hieratic Script.
A scribe working hard.
Egyptians at school learning.
What hieratic script looks like.