September 10th - September 14th
Monday, September 10th
- No School - Rosh Hashanah
- Picture day!!
- Birthday lunch for 3rd/4th Aug/Sept birthdays
Wednesday, September 12th
- 3rd/4th Curriculum Night (6:30 3rd, 7:15 4th)
Thursday, September 13th
- Kindergarten PTO Meet and Greet, 8:30am
- Destination Imagination Presentation in Harper Auditorium, 7pm. Kids are welcome!
Dr. Kick's Corner
- First and second grade Curriculum Nights went very well. Thank you for your partnership in educating "our" children. Here is information regarding the curriculum for all grade levels http://www.wilmette39.org/for_students/curriculum___instruction
- Dr. Lechner retires at the end of the 18-19 school year. Please stay current with the search for the new Superintendent http://www.wilmette39.org/
- The PTO website is back online! Thank you for your patience.
- Thank you to everyone who has been leaving their furry friends (dogs) home when dropping off/picking up their child(ren). There continue to be a few dogs that are still being brought to the school grounds. Please help keep our students safe.
Our visitor sign-in practices have slightly changed. All visitors will continue to present a driver’s license, which will be scanned using our Raptor system. The license will then be kept in the office and each visitor will be given a colored lanyard with a visitor badge. The driver’s license will be returned at the conclusion of the visit. Please know that a driver’s license is required for every visit. Thank you for helping us keep our kids safe.
Monday, September 17th
- Parent Forum on search for New D39 Superintendent, 7:30pm at WJHS
- Ice Cream Social for parents hosted by PASS39!, 6pm MEC (more info within announcements)
Wednesday, September 19th
- No School - Yom Kippur
Thursday, September 20th
- AM/PM Kindergarten Curriculum Night, 6:30pm
Wednesday, September 26th
- PTO General Meeting, 9:00am
Sunday, September 30th
- Harper Hoedown, 11:30-2:30pm
Tuesday, October 2nd
- Picture Retake Day
Monday, October 8th
- No School - Columbus Day
Wednesday and Thursday, October 10th and 11th
- Taffy Apple Sale
Sunday, October 14th
- Harper Hoedown raindate
Friday, November 2nd - SAVE THE DATE
- Annual PTO Parent Party; new location and more info coming soon!
The Harper PTO website is back up and running!
Thank you for your patience during the "construction". Please visit www.harperpto.com to purchase Hoedown tickets, birthday books, iGNITE! donations, etc.
If you submitted any updates to the website during the outage (Aug 26-Sept 4), please email Chris Beer email@example.com to confirm she received your request.
Get Ready For Picture Day!
Stuart-Rodgers is your official photography studio for Picture Day 2018-2019.
After picture day you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org providing you with your students personal password protected online gallery! Approximately 10 days after picture day you will also receive a printed proof sheet that will have your students photo and gallery password with directions on how to order.
Placing an order is easy! You can visit the website at www.srphoto.com > Order Photos and enter your password! You can also mail in your printed proof to the Stuart-Rodgers Photography studio on Green Bay Road in Evanston.
New this year is a free shipping code that you can use to get free shipping if your order is placed by 11:59cst on October 11th. Harper Elementary Schools code is: 3NS
If you have multiple students you can combine the online orders by going to the top bar and selecting Gallery Options and then Combine Galleries to put all your children on one order!
If you have any questions please call Stuart-Rodgers Photography at 847-864-7322 , or email email@example.com
- Attention Kindergarten Families: The Harper PTO invites ALL Kindergarten parents to a meet and greet coffee, Thursday, September 13th from 8:30 - 10:30am.
1018 Cherokee Road, home of Corey Guenin. Swing by after drop off or at your convenience. Hosted by Corey Guenin, Elizabeth Whittle, Tammy Muse. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!
- Chess Club is starting soon! Chess is a sport of the mind that will exercise your child's brain and build life skills. Professional instruction from basics to competitive will be provided. If interested, register through the Wilmette Park District. Fall session runs Mondays, September 17- December 17 from 3:30- 4:30 in the Harper Cafeteria.
Please join us for a Cub Scouts informational night on Monday, September 17th at 7pm. New and existing parents are welcome. Learn the ins and outs of scouting, our activities and adventures, and scout/parent expectations. You can register your scout (if new), or submit a leader application (if you are inspired). Meeting will be held at the home of Kara Gillespie, 2019 Lake Ave.
- Visit the Harper Garden right after school on Wednesday, September 12th to "get your hands dirty" planting a pot with your children. Kids get to take the pot home, and the event is FREE! It's a great way to visit this special place with your child, and to learn about all the recent improvements to the garden! (If raining, event will be postponed until Friday, September 14th).
Spirit Wear News Flash: This year’s brand new gold foil hoodies are back on sale! We know many of your girls had their hearts set on these, so the Spirit Wear Committee has been busy making sure that they are in excellent condition for you. Be sure to buy one at the upcoming Curriculum Nights as they’ll go fast. Also, don’t worry if you missed out on the sold-out Harper camo hat! We will be taking names from anyone interested and should have them back in stock very soon.
Sing for Harper! All 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade students are invited to join the fall session of the Harper Chorus. This PTO sponsored group rehearses with our Music Director, Mrs. Lambros on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 7:50-8:10 in the auditorium (from September through December). Rehearsals will begin this TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2018. For more information about chorus, and to register your child, please go to http://harperpto.com/harper-chorus/. Please contact either Erin Ellis (email@example.com) or Sissy Polacek (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
- Purchase your 2019 Harper Yearbook now at the lowest prices of the year! Click here to order your yearbook. Or use your ReplayIt app and order it from your phone. From now through 10/31, yearbooks are $23. Add customization for $6. Make sure you receive a confirmation email from Josten’s so you know you completed your order.
- Attention 4th Graders! Submit your artwork for the 2019 Yearbook Cover Contest! Download the attached rules PDF, print out the template and follow the rules closely. Turn in your cover art to the front office by 10/5/18. The winner not only gets their design featured on the cover, he or she also wins a free yearbook! Second place gets to be on the back cover.
- Download the ReplayIt app for Yearbook access! Use ReplayIt to upload your photos to the yearbook gallery and/or to order your 2019 Yearbook. Learn more at www.replayit.com, or use the handy Replay It instructions in the attached PDF. The first time you log in the password is HarperRocks. After that you’ll set your own password. Your login remains the same year-to-year. Please send us your First Day of School photos! If you’re not a tech person, you can email photos to email@example.com
Attention shutterbugs, we’re looking for volunteers to be classroom photographers! We’d like to have two photographers per classroom to be sure your child’s classroom is properly featured in the yearbook. It’s easy and fun and you get to attend the best events. You’ll share the duties with another photographer and other parents. Sign up by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Harper Hoedown Tickets On Sale Now!
Gather your friends and family for the 15th Annual Harper Hoedown, Sunday 9/30/18, 11:30AM–2:30PM at Harper. All are welcome so spread the word to your non-Harper friends. Come hungry—there’ll be tasty treats for sale. SAVE $5 PER TICKET with our new lower pre-sale prices when you purchase by 9/21. For more information or to purchase tickets, see order form PDF below or visit the HoedownPage. Look for the Hoedown table after school on Friday. Yeehaw!
- Wanted: Deputies & Donations for the Hoedown. We’re in need of some kind-hearted parents to help out at the Hoedown. This year parent volunteers get in free! Click here to register for a time slot. We’re also looking to hire 12 teens at $10/hr to work on the games. If you have a teen/alumni interested in working a 3-hr game shift, please contact Hoedown@HarperPTO.com. We also need new/gently-used stuffed animals (no rips or stains, please) and goody bag-type items for our prize tent. Please place them in the donation bin in the Harper lobby.
New This Year at the Hoedown!
We’ve switched things up with new rides, games and attractions. Challenge your friends to a race on the Zip Line or Obstacle Course. Or get even with them with the Big Kahuna “dunk tank.” The younger ones can hop aboard the Choo-choo Train Play House. Earn prize tent tickets with all new games like Pig Races or Tip-a-Troll. Don’t forget to wear your Hoedown shirt! It earns you 5 prize tent tickets at the door.
Give Your Child a Unique Enrichment Experience
iGNITE! is an initiative led by Harper’s PTO that is dedicated to finding and bringing our students exciting, multi-sensory programs and activities. It is the main PTO fundraiser, suggesting a donation of $125 per student at Harper, as the contributions go right back to the children. Activities have included but are not limited to, visits to a variety of museums including Adler’s Planetarium, Chicago Botanic Gardens and Shedd Aquarium, visits from from leading edge speakers including Ruby Bridges (first African American to attend an all-white school) and Mike Byster (a mathematical genius featured on 20/20), and visits from authors each year. Programs and activities are developed by grade level. There are three ways to donate:
- Donate Online Here
- Drop off a check in the iGNITE! folder in the Harper Lobby. Please make the check payable to Harper PTO and include your child’s name on the check.
- Pay with a Credit Card at the iGNITE! table present in the Harper Lobby during the Curriculum Nights.
Information from PASS39!
Did you know that there are approximately 504 students in the district who receive special education services via an IEP?
Parenting a child with learning, behavioral, emotional and developmental challenges is sometimes difficult but when you have an army of other parents behind you it makes it so much easier.
Looking for more support or for others who can relate? Join PASS39! The Parent Association for Student Services in District 39 is a parent organization committed to supporting parents of children with emotional, developmental and learning differences. We have convenient meetings scheduled as well as social opportunities to meet other D39 parents, to share ideas and information, and to connect with one another. Join us at our annual Ice Cream Social on Monday, September 17th from 6-7:30pm at the MEC.
For more information and meeting schedule, visit: http://www.wilmette39.org/cms/one.aspx?portalid=360930&pageid=899243
Any additional questions, please contact Harper PASS39 Building Rep: Carey Personette email@example.com
Get Involved at Harper!
DESTINATION IMAGINATION - Interested in Destination Imagination (DI)? DI is a team-based creative problem-solving competition for kids grades K-12. Teams work on science, fine arts, technology, engineering, improv, or community service. DI challenges are all about allowing kids to create on their own without any help from adults or non-team members. Harper will host its own pilot DI program this year. DI is completely volunteer driven. It requires the commitment of parents leaders from November through early March at least 1x a week outside of school. D39 is hosting several DI information sessions in September. If you are interested in learning more, please plan on attending one of the following sessions: Thursday, September 13th, 7:00 PM @ Harper OR Monday, September 17th, 7:00 PM @ McKenzie. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Kids are welcome to join the informational meetings as well!
Want to spend time with your child’s class in a quiet and relaxed environment? Volunteer in the Harper Library! Assistance will be needed for Grades 1-4 starting the week of September 10th and for Kindergarten starting the week of September 17th. A sign-up genius is forthcoming, however, if you are able to volunteer next week, please contact Stephanie Linn directly at email@example.com.
- PASS 39 is hosting a Welcome Ice Cream Social on Monday, September 17th at 6:00 pm at the MEC/District office. RSVP @ firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
- The Wilmette Historical Museum hosts "Auto Historica XV” a vintage and classic car show on Sunday, September 23rd, 12:00 - 3:00 pm
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Liz Hayes via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to email@example.com to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org