School News You Can Use!
It's been a busy week at Walden School! We thank you for your continued support and partnership as we work to keep our Wildcat students safe. Please ensure that you are setting a high bar for safety in our community on Walden grounds and beyond. If you are here for drop-off or pick-up, please ensure that you and any younger siblings are wearing a mask. Also, please maintain social distancing with those around you. These precautions will go a long way as we continue to work as a team for student safety.
I have included many important announcements below. Thank you in advance for taking the time to stay informed.
Have a great weekend and we will see you on Tuesday!
Stephanie Strenger, Walden Principal
As all grade levels have now returned to school, we have adapted our Library Book Exchange routines.
What is the same: Book Bundle Menu choices (Grades K-1) and Destiny Holds (Grades 2-5) will still be due on Tuesdays by 3:30 pm for both in-school and remote learners.
What is different: Books will be delivered to and picked up from students IN SCHOOL on Thursdays. Remote Pick-up will be for remote learners ONLY.
What is new: Remote students can pick up their books in the lobby anytime after noon on Thursday. Books can be picked up anytime during the school day. They can be picked up any day, not just Thursday. Books may also be returned in the lobby.
- Nothing is to be worn on the face (e.g. costume masks, make-up etc.) as this could impact the effectiveness and comfort of the required face covering.
- Please do not send students with accessories (e.g witches broom, wand, etc).
- Please make sure that your child is able to sit comfortably in their costume for nearly 2 1/2 hours (we ask that students not wear the inflatable costumes).
Families who are not comfortable sending their child in costume, please reach out to your child's teacher so that we can be sensitive to you or your child's feelings about dressing up for Halloween. We want everyone at Walden to feel comfortable.
Though we are not able to celebrate our beloved Walden Veterans Day Assembly in person this year, we are still committed to helping all of our learners understand the meaning behind Veterans Day. We will be putting together a video that teachers will share with their students and are looking for some input from our Walden community vets!
If you or a family member are a veteran and would be interested in participating, please contact: Kelly Jakymiw (email@example.com). We would then work on recording a brief message from that special vet in your life to compile into the school wide video!
Thank you so much for your support!
For those students taking the test remotely, it is incumbent upon me to share the following reminders:
1) This is an adaptive assessment that provides helpful information to teachers regarding your child’s instructional strengths and areas of need. While you may assist your child getting logged into the testing session, please do not provide any assistance once the test has begun (ie. answering questions, defining or sounding out words, etc). Letting your child take this test independently will show our teachers exactly where they are in their learning journey, and helping your child will actually do more harm than good.
2) There can be no taking images, screen recording, or screenshots of test items
3) There can be no use of other devices or resources (cell phones, calculators, books, search engines, etc).
We appreciate your cooperation as your partner in learning!
Self-Certification Forms (2nd Posting)
We have created simple links that you are welcome to save and use each day:
bit.ly/walamsc (AM Students)
bit.ly/walpmsc (PM Students).
If you're interested in making this link as easy to access as possible, you may add it to either your iPhone or Android device by watching the following videos:
- iPhone - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqlLCn7_fWk
- Android - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhZYL-1Prt8&feature=youtu.be
Thank you for your partnership in this process!
Safety Eyewear (2nd Posting)
Late Items (2nd Posting)
Health Requirements (3rd Reminder)
We recognize and are mindful of the fact that many families may have had difficulty getting children in for physical, dental, and eye exams as the COVID-19 pandemic presented many challenges to routine medical care; however, at this time, all child-health related requirements for school attendance, remain in effect for children in public, private, or parochial schools, as per 105 ILCS 5/27-8.1.
Health-related examinations and immunization requirements are due no later than October 15. There is no language in the Code that differentiates on-site/physical learning vs. remote/distance learning. Therefore all students are required to have the necessary documentation completed by October 15.
At this point in time you will have already received communication from our building nurse if your child is currently missing the required documentation. Students not in compliance with the health examination and immunization requirements will be excluded from school beginning Thursday, October 15, 2020. Please reach out with any questions as we want to partner with you to ensure compliance with these requirements. Thank you.
- Oct. 12 - Columbus Day (No School)
- Oct. 15 - All Health Forms Due
- Nov. 3 - Election Day (No School)
- Nov. 11 - Veterans Day (No School)
- Nov. 23 - Evening Parent Conferences (School In Session)
- Nov. 24 - Daytime Parent Conferences (No School)
- Nov. 25 - Nov. 27 - Thanksgiving Break (No School)