Lakeview Staff Newsletter - December 13
Nine Below - Thanks, Sunshine!
• "You have a wonderful school here."
• " I can feel the warmth after just a few minutes."
• "Everyone smiles here!"
• Our PTO had wonderful comments about Lakeview at Thursday's meeting as well!
Thank you - this is something that is really special, but it does not happen by accident. It is deliberate, even if it happens automatically. Please keep smiling and saying "hello" to people. Please keep treating students with kindness. It shows to the people who walk through our doors!
Week of Dec 16 - Spirit dress up days sponsored by student council (see below)
Week of Dec 16 - Smart Smiles will be here for exams. They will be located on the stage.
Wed, Dec 18 - Staff meeting 7:15-8:15 a.m. in the library (see even further below)
Thurs, Dec 19 - Kohl's Wild Theater assembly for Grades 2-5 from 2:30-3:00 p.m. in the gym
Fri, Dec 20 - Sunshine Holiday luncheon - sign up here
Fri, Dec 20 - Holiday Sing-along in the gym from 2:45-3:25 p.m.
Dec 23 through Jan 3 - Winter break!
Monday, January 6, 2020 (!) - first day back after break
Spirit days for Dec 16-20
Monday, Dec 16 - Red and Green day
Tuesday, Dec 17 - Pajama day
Wednesday, Dec 18 - Flannel day
Thursday, Dec 19 - Holiday Headwear day (Santa hat, reindeer antlers, etc.)
Friday, Dec 20 - Ugly sweater day
Dec 18 staff meeting
• All regular staff meeting attendees join us as normal.
• Paras and secretaries attend if able. Hourly staff that are able to attend will be paid for the hour. Hourly employees - if you cannot attend, please let me know.
• Our staff meetings are from 7:15-8:15 a.m. in the library.
• I am excited to discuss Lakeview's portion of the recent employee engagement survey with all of you.
MAP Testing - The winter MAP window will be open on our first day back after break. Please plan before break when you plan to take MAP assessments. Also, please do not choose your dates in isolation - please meet in teams with your special ed colleagues to pick dates and times because of the accommodations that are provided by special ed teachers across multiple grade levels. Use this spreadsheet to indicate your times. Let's complete all testing (including make-ups) by January 24th.
IEP's At-a-Glance - See last week's newsletter. Binders have been distributed to specialists. The rest of the staff should be using full IEPs in coordination with case managers. If you need more info about student goals or the strategies contained in an IEP, please see me or the case manager.
Cumulative folders - Some questions have come up lately about access to cumulative folders. Please make sure that both classroom teachers and special education staff know where cumulative folders are kept so that everyone has access to look at records and add to the folders.
Laminating - Once the current roll of laminating for our Lakeview machine is gone, we will not be purchasing more. Why? (1) The machine doesn't work well anymore, (2) it costs us money out of our building budget, and (3) laminating can be sent offsite. Most people already send their laminating offsite - just be sure to plan ahead.
PTO in 2020 - Please be sure you sign up for a PTO meeting or attend an event this school year. Our PTO supports us in so many ways. Here is the sign up sheet. Many upcoming dates of events are in this week's family newsletter. Thank you!
Personal Day Blackouts - here is a link to blackout days for elementary personal days.
Are you a graphic designer?
Positive Character Recipients
• Being engaged in class (I love that the word "engaged" keeps coming up now!)
• Complimenting a friend at recess during a game
• Asking someone that looks left out to join a game
• Making someone laugh at the right time
• Helping someone learn something new
• Listening to the teacher