Francis Howell Golf Weekly Notes
Week of May 9th 2016
We have been very fortunate to have such a successful season on all levels so far. However, the ultimate goal for the program is to continue to get better, not only in the GAC, but also in the St. Louis area and statewide.
Other programs in the conference and area will continue to get better. We are graduating five great golfers who have achieved impressive things. We cannot get better by showing up in March with little to no focused work in the off-season.
Important summer information:
There are two BIG off-season recommendations that the staff has for golfers to get better.
- Work with a PGA Professional in structured lessons. These lessons don’t have to be daily or even weekly, but a trained PGA Professional will help golfers improve and make long-term changes that will result in better fundamentals. It is very difficult to make major changes in March without a level of discomfort. There are many great PGA Professionals, so please see me if you want any recommendations.
- Play COMPETITIVE tournaments. The high school golf season is fairly quick and provides competition in match and tournament form. Playing in summer and/or fall tournaments helps golfers develop fundamentals under pressure. Playing golf in any form is always a good thing, but these tournaments best simulate golf under pressure. Many of our golfers are multisport athletes (which is excellent) and I know this can make things busy at times. However, there are many options available that can fit into schedules. Some possible organizations/tournaments:
- http://gatewaypga.org/jrgolf/ - The Gateway PGA offers a great summer and fall program. They offer several different divisions, including the TOUR division that provides two-day tournaments. They also have a fall schedule.
- http://www.acceleratedgolftour.org/ - The Accelerated Golf Tour is geared towards advanced high school golfers and consists of two-day tournaments only.
I cannot stress the need to work during the summer AND fall enough. Work in the off-season will help both team and individual golfer progress. Remember that spots are not reserved for anyone. You risk getting passed by other golfers with lack of focused work to prepare for next year.
End of Season Meeting -- Friday May 13th at 6:40 a.m.
- Equipment Turn In: Golfers who checked out a bag and/or range finder will need to turn it in. Any golfers with items not returned or NOT in working condition will be issued fines.
- Summer Plans: I will ask each golfer for their SPECIFIC summer schedule of tournaments. The coaching staff plans on attending various summer tournaments this year in which our golfers are participating.
- Golf Camp: Overview of golf camp plans and the need for team member counselor help.
End of Season BBQ on May 31st
Francis Howell Wins Districts
This is the eighth time in nine years that Francis Howell was able to advance out of Districts as a team. The team moves on to Sectionals on Monday at The Links of Dardenne (9am shotgun). The top two teams and twelve individuals will advance from Sectionals to State.
Matt Hunt -- 74 (4th)
Blake Porter -- 76 (T-6th)
Dylan Marcelle -- 76 (T-6th)
Nathan Dallas -- 78 (T-9th)
Andrew Smith -- 85
Varsity and JV Win GAC Titles
Tournament and Season Results: www.tinyurl.com/gacsouth
JV Wins GAC Tournament and Secures Season Championship
Evan Diesfeld -- 82 (1st)
Drew Wuest -- 83 (3rd)
Jack Nelson -- 84 (4th)
Adam Boczkiewicz -- 87 (5th)
Jared Rottmann -- 95 (T-10th)
Varsity Wins GAC Tournament and Completes GAC Championship Season
Varsity shot 317 at a challenging Bear Creek to win the GAC South Tournament and secure the GAC Season Title after an undefeated regular season. The team score of 317 was 36 shots better than second place.
Blake Porter (76), Nathan Dallas (77), and Andrew Smith (78) finished in top three overall of varsity tournament.
Blake Porter -- 76 (1st)
Nathan Dallas -- 77 (2nd)
Andrew Smith -- 78 (3rd)
Dylan Marcelle -- 86 (T-7th)
Matt Hunt -- 91
Three Howell Golfers Earn GAC South All-Conference
Three golfers finished in the top ten in the season points race and earned All-Conference.
Dylan Marcelle (9th) and Nathan Dallas (8th) finished 2nd Team All-GAC South.
Blake Porter (1st) finished 1st Team All-GAC South.
Blake Porter Wins Golfer of the Year
Final GAC South Standings
Schedule for Week of 5/9
Spectators are reminded that there is an entry fee for MSHSAA post-season events and carts are only available with a doctor's note. Spectators are to remain on path at all times. Do not go on tee boxes or around green. Golfers cannot receive advice from parents.
5/10-5/13: Practice TBD
5/11: Troy Scramble at Woods Fort at 8am. Wear WHITE. This is a six person event with three two-man scramble teams. Confirmed golfers:
Adam Boczkiewicz (pending injury recovery)
If Boczkiewicz can't play, we will replace him with another golfer.
Important Save the Dates
1. Golf End of Season BBQ -- Tuesday, May 31st
We will celebrate the season and honor our seniors. Time TBA, though the location has now been determined, as the Hunt family has graciously offered to host the event at their home.. We would love 100% attendance from golfers and families.
2. Golf Camp -- June 20th - June 23rd
We are tentatively scheduled to hold golf camp June 20th - June 23rd from 8am-12pm. We do not expect current team members to register, but we do ask for any help we can get from them as counselors during the week. This helps grow the game of golf for younger kids in the area and helps develop the future of our program. Many of our current program members are camp alumni.
3. Francis Howell Boys Golf Tournament -- Thursday, July 21st
This is a crucial part to funding our program. Our program goes above and beyond compared to others in the area. We have range finders, practice rounds, extra equipment, etc. Much of this has to do with having the money raised from our annual tournament. In addition, Whitmoor is very kind to us because we provide them with consistent business through our tournament. We don't do five hundred different fundraisers. The tournament is our main focal point for fundraising. We will be seeking your help in obtaining golfers, hole sponsors (great source of money), and raffle/basket donation items. In addition, we will also be looking for volunteers to help in planning and helping on the day of the tournament.
Season PAvg Spreadsheet:
GAC South Standings Google Sheet:
GAC Golf Website:
Howell Golf Website:
Activities Department Howell Golf site:
Follow Howell Golf on Twitter:
Remind -- I tend to send out quick updates via this method: