MoASSP Messenger December 3, 2018
Volume 32 Number 18
Update From the Executive Director
Friday's Messenger Today
Here's starting your week with Friday's Messenger.
The Evergreen Tree
"Its' beginning to look a lot like Christmas." Down through the centuries, the evergreen tree has been used as a symbol for this time of year. Celebrate the season, seize the moment, listen to your heart, and value relationships.
With the passing of President George H. Bush, flags will be flown at half-staff for thirty days and a national day of mourning will be this Wednesday. Take time this week as a school to remember the 41st President of the United States. President Bush's last words were, "I love you, too."
School Administrators Coalition (SAC) Meeting Today
MoASSP is one of ten administrator groups that meet on a regular basis to discuss legislative issues at the State Capitol. Today, Doug and I will be headed to Jeff City for the annual pre-session School Administrators Coalition (SAC) meeting to discuss the priorities of each association as well as the educational topics we will likely encounter during the 2019 legislative session. Over the weekend, over 150 bills were pre-filed at the Capitol. At least six are education related.
The principal voice is essential as we move into the 2019 legislative session. If you haven't signed up as an advocate through the MoASSP Action Center, please do so. It only takes a few seconds.
The MoASSP staff is in the process of reconnecting with retired principals around the state. Currently, we have eighty retired principals who have either a lifetime membership (one time fee of $112) or pay their dues ($34) annually. Please help us pass the word to colleagues around the state who are no longer employed full-time in education and encourage them to reconnect with MoASSP.
There isn't a better way for you to help educate legislators than to invite them to come to your school for a visit and shadow you. When you do, take a photo or two, and tag us @MoASSP.
MoASSP Show-Me Tour
Take a glimpse into three schools visited in recent weeks. Doug and I dropped in on Eastgate Sixth Grade Center, Staley High School, and Smith-Cotton High School. Spend a few minutes and see examples of branding and marketing, academic programming, websites, and more. Don't forget to click on images to bring up a larger view. Every secondary school in Missouri has something exciting to share. You don't have to wait for the MoASSP Show-Me Tour to come to your school to share with your colleagues statewide. Send us a picture or two, tag us @MoASSP, and we will highlight your school in the Messenger.
Help me welcome nineteen new MoASSP members. See the list below.
Whether you are aspiring, emerging, developing, or transformational, wherever you are on the “Principal’s Journey," it really is a “matter of principal(ple).” Clark Mershon
COMING SOON MoASSP MEMBERSHIP VALUE-ADDED BENEFITS
We have exciting news for our MoASSP membership, spouses, and dependents. Benefits, such as discount dining, travel, and supplemental insurance at special group rates along with numerous merchant discounts will be provided to MoASSP members, spouses, and dependents. These benefits will also be available to retired administrators who have a retired membership or lifetime retired membership.
Thomas C. Murray Opening Keynote for MoASSP Spring Conference March 30-April 2
Leading and Learning in Today's School for Tomorrow!
New Information Regarding Enrollment & Graduation Planning for English Language Learners
MoASSP Offering 3 Opioid Workshops January 24, February 6, & February 20
NASSP Seeking Input on New Position Statements (Educator Diversity & Drug/Alcohol Abuse...Click on the link below.
New Kid-Grit Website Released
Kid-Grit is a holistic approach to creating a well-rounded student. Kid-Grit is where social-emotional learning, mindfulness and character education meet. For more information, go to their website.
Help Welcome Our Newest 19 MoASSP Members
Total MoASSP Membership is now 1,288. If you see inaccurate information, please email Katy. Thanks for helping us keep our database up to date.
- Todd Brendel Lone Jack HS email@example.com Assistant Principal C
- Jason Fenstermaker Lone Jack HS firstname.lastname@example.org Activities Director C
- Jennifer Bickford Little Blue Elementary email@example.com Teacher KC
- Becky Kroenke Gateway 6th Grade Center firstname.lastname@example.org Principal KC
- Katie Lawson Gateway 6th Grade Center email@example.com Assistant Principal KC
- Chris McCann Eastgate 6th Grade Center firstname.lastname@example.org Principal KC
- Stephany Clark Salisbury HS email@example.com Teacher NE
- Mike Boedeker Elsberry HS firstname.lastname@example.org Principal NE
- Jeff Jones Moberly HS email@example.com Principal NE
- Larry Noel Moberly HS firstname.lastname@example.org Assistant Principal NE
- Jill Watkins Chillicothe HS email@example.com Assistant Principal NW
- Nancy Hutchison Caruthersville HS firstname.lastname@example.org Principal SE
- Jessica Bitting Ladue Horton Watkins HS email@example.com Assistant Principal SL
- Elizabeth Grana Ladue Horton Watkins HS firstname.lastname@example.org Associate Principal SL
- Rhonda Key Jennings HS email@example.com Principal SL
- Miranda Ming Jennings HS firstname.lastname@example.org Associate Principal SL
- Mike Tarpey Ladue Horton Watkins HS email@example.com Dean of Students SL
- Brian Davis Koshkonong HS firstname.lastname@example.org Principal SW
- Bo Carr AMBA email@example.com
Upcoming Regional Meetings
MoASSP Board of Directors
- NASSP Coordinator for Missouri: John Faulkenberry, Lee's Summit HS
- MoASSP President: Ed Gettemeier, Hardin MS
- MoASSP President-Elect: Marc Spunaugle, Lincoln HS
- MoASSP Past President: Chris Hoehne, Ste. Genevieve HS
- MoASSP Treasurer: Kathryn Greer, Francis Howell North HS
- At-Large Non-Public: Valerie Todd, St. Mary's HS
- At-Large Assistant Principal: Jennifer Strauser, Eureka HS
- At-Large Middle Level: Jonathan Apostol, Monett MS
- Kansas City (GKCMPA): Jeff Meisenheimer, Lee's Summit North HS
- Northwest: Robert Bowers, Lathrop HS
- Northeast: Scott Daly, Hallsville HS
- Southeast: Dan Hecht, Kelly-Benton HS
- Southwest: Sarah Odom, Cherokee MS
- South Central: Jim Pritchett, Rolla HS
- Central: Brandon Harding, Cole Camp HS
- St. Louis (SASSP): Andy Croley, McCluer North HS
- NASSP Board Member: Kevin Lowery, Lebanon HS
2018-2019 District Presidents
- Central Region: Jonathan Peterson, Smithton HS
- GKCMPA: Charlie Belt, Blue Springs South HS
- Northeast Region: Deborah Hill-Haag, Mexico MS
- Northwest Region: Beery Johnson, Benton HS
- SASSP: Gary Jansen, Crestview MS (Rockwood)
- South Central Region: Kelle McCallum, Washington HS
- Southeast Region: Lucas McKinnis, Bernie HS
- Southwest Region: Keith White, Buffalo HS
Missouri Association of Secondary School Principals
The vision of MoASSP is to serve ALL middle level and high school administrators.
The mission of MoASSP is to improve secondary education through positive leadership and the enhancement of student performance.