Pearl S. Buck Elementary
January 9, 2016
Happy New Year!
Board Games and Probability
Trois en Deux
What's Your Statistcal Birthday?
Prior to the winter break, Mr. Knight’s class was working on data and statistics. After learning about mean, median, mode, and range, they worked on a project to determine the mean birthday for each class in the school. We secured the birthdates for every student in every class and converted those birthdays into days of the year. For example, February 10 becomes day 41, June 1 becomes 152, December 31 is 365. Following are the results of a double-checked, in some cases triple-checked, effort to make sure we were accurate.
Mrs. Arner – June 23 | Mrs. Dietrick – July 29
Mrs. Oswald – August 2 | Mrs. Schaeffer – July 25
Mrs. Boyle – June 11 | Mrs. Kuriger – July 14
Ms. McCafferty – June 30 | Mrs. Raab – July 8
Mrs. Bader – June 7 | Mrs. Budman – June 8
Mrs. Junod – July 19 | Mrs. Sulon – June 2
Mrs. Lysun – June 17 | Mrs. Maher – June 9
Ms. Smith – June 4 | Mrs. Takacs – July 25
Ms. Bowman – June 23 | Mr. Knight – July 18
Mrs. Sottile – June 26
Mr. Fleming – June 13 | Mr. McGee – June 20
Mrs. Quinn – October 29
The Magic of Metric!
- Please consider taking a moment to drum up support for our upcoming Race for Education fundraiser. Race for Ed flyers will be arriving in the next few months. Every donation helps to provide our children with valuable tools and educational experiences.
- January 14th- Chuck e Cheese 4-9
- January 21st- School Store during lunch. We still need volunteers. Please go to the link below and sign up. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0548a4aa23a46-school1
- January 29th- Pizza Bingo 6pm at Maple Point cafeteria. More information to come. If anyone is interested in shadowing this event this year, please us know. Our moms that run this event will be leaving at the end of this year and we need someone to take over, next year. Please contact PTO President, Elaine Shubin at email@example.com if you can help with this event.
ALL parents/guardians are required to have clearances to volunteer at school. To apply for clearances, please access the link on the District and Pearl Buck homepages.
Better yet, here's the link! http://www.neshaminy.k12.pa.us/Page/31684.
Volunteers are required by law to have criminal and child abuse clearances. Clearances are free for all volunteers. If you are volunteering 10 hours per week or more, you will need to obtain a TB test. In addition, our PTO can assist Pearl Buck families with free notary services for the volunteer paperwork.
Did you know....?
- January is named after the Roman god Janus, who was always shown as having two heads. He looked back to the last year and forward to the new one. - See more at: http://popculturemadness.com/Trivia/January/index.php#sthash.9XvdfyFI.dpuf
- "In January it's so nice while slipping on the sliding ice to sip hot chicken soup with rice. Sipping once Sipping twice." - Maurice Sendak - In January
- January in the Northern Hemisphere is the seasonal equivalent to July in the Southern Hemisphere and vice versa.
- January 1st, 1776, the first American flag, the "Grand Union" was presented. Betsy Ross later added the stars in place of the Union Jack.