Washington County Weekly 4-H Update
April 23, 2021
WHAT YOU WILL FIND IN THIS WEEK'S 4-H UPDATE...
- Washington County 4-H Calendar
- Lend A Hand Service Month
- Nebraska Extension DHM Phase/Covid-19 Risk Dial Guidance
- 4-H Enrollment is Open - Deadline is June 15
- Help Needed from 4-H Clubs
- 4-H Poultry & Rabbit Workshop
- Chicks Available in May
- Introducing the 2021 4-H Summer Workshop Series
- Show Cattle Clinic
- YQCA Certification
- Virtual and At Home Learning Opportunities
- 2021 Washington County Fair
- Seeking Adult Pizza Stand Managers
- Applications for Youth Pizza Stand Managers
- 4-H Project of the Year Kit Available
- 2021 4-H Volunteer Training Available
- New Classes Offered at the Nebraska State Fair
- 2021 District 4-H Horse Shows - Entry Deadline is May 7
- 2021 4-H Summer Camps
- Enroll Now - Big Red Camps
- Other Statewide Events and Resources
*NEW OR UPDATED INFORMATION IS BOLDED!
April 25...................................................4-H Public Speaking Contest
May 1......................................................Poultry & Rabbit 4-H Workshop
May 7......................................................District/State Horse Entry Deadline
May 25....................................................Show Cattle Clinic
June 15...................................................4-H Enrollment/Animal ID/YQCA Deadline
June 28 & 29...........................................PASE & Life Challenge Contests, East Campus-Lincoln
June 30...................................................State Public Speaking Contest, East Campus-Lincoln
July 8......................................................Pre-Entry Due for Washington County Fair
July 30 - August 4, 2021........................2021 Washington County Fair
Washington County 4-H Calendar
Did you know that you can find the Washington County 4-H Calendar on our webpage? View just the month or download and print the whole program year!
Visit https://go.unl.edu/washingtoncounty4hcalendar to view. As dates/events continue to be added we will update the calendar. The webpage will show the most recent date that the program calendar was updated!
Lend A Hand Service Month
In 2021 we are shifting the traditional Lend a Hand Day to a Lend a Hand Service Month! How will this work? Using the GooseChase Application youth and families will complete challenges such as “donating items to the food pantry”. Youth and Families will then document the challenge they completed by taking a photo and uploading it to each challenge in the app. Families and youth who complete at least half of the challenges will receive a Lend a Hand participation gift. Those who complete all of the challenges will receive the participation gift and be entered for the chance to win the “Top Participant” gift. This new opportunity allows for families to give back to their communities on their own time, safely. We are looking forward to see all of the impact we can bring to the communities of Washington County through giving back. BONUS: you will want to create a team and be involved so you can watch the newsfeed and see how the 4-H Staff are giving back to the community! Final details along with the Game Code will be sent.
We've had a few calls from people in the community looking for some assistance. If you are interested in Lending them A Hand please call the office for information.
Nebraska Extension DHM Phase/Covid-19 Risk Dial Guidance
Nebraska Extension DHM Phase/Covid-19 Risk Dial Guidance
Follow Most Restrictive Guidance: State DHM or Local Health Department Covid-19 Risk Dial
CURRENTLY – ORANGE
4-H Clubs (events, activities, meetings)
Recommend meeting virtually; Facial coverings required for in person meetings; Follow additional local/county guidance.
Effective November 30, 2020
2021 4-H Year - Enrollment is OPEN
Nebraska 4-HOnline Enrollment Link: https://ne.4honline.com/Login.aspx?403D4050364539525371705375593D
Please note that the 4-H project history has been cleared and you must enter the project name and the number of years you have participated in it. You will find your history by going into your Family Account and choosing Member Reports.
You might also notice that the Virtual Robotics project shows up in the project history but has been removed this year as the curriculum is no longer available.
Help Needed from 4-H Clubs
We need your help! We are looking for a few 4-H Clubs in Washington County to work on building new picnic tables for the fair grounds. The Washington County Fair Board will provide the specs for the picnic tables. This would be a good club project activity. If your club is able please contact the Extension Office so we can get you on the list to send the information. Your help is greatly appreciated!
4-H Poultry and Rabbit Workshop
Just in time for spring and a perfect 4-H project! Washington County classroom will be participating in 4-H Embryology in the month of April. We are looking for places to rehome our chicks! Chicks are projected to hatch around May 1st and May 7th. Chicks will be laying hens from Hendrix Genetics.
We will have up to 7 dozen chicks available. If you would like more information or know of someone who needs chicks, please contact the office at 402.426.9455 or email@example.com.
Introducing the 2021 4-H Summer Workshop Series
Here is a look at the 2021 Washington County 4-H Summer Workshop Series. All workshops will be held at the Washington County Extension office in 2021. We are excited to be able to offer a variety of workshops this year focusing on a multitude of project areas. Please visit our webpage at https://extension.unl.edu/statewide/washington/washington-county-4-h-summer-workshop-series/
to see workshop descriptions and find the link to registration. Registrations are due by Monday, May 17th. We can’t wait to LEARN BY DOING with you all during our 2021 4-H Workshops. Questions? Contact the 4-H Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show Cattle Clinic
Show Cattle Clinic with Ky Stierwalt - May 25th at 6pm at the Washington County Fairgrounds
YQCA (Youth for Quality Care of Animals) certification must be completed by June 15, 2021 for all youth who plan to exhibit a beef, dairy, goat, hog, sheep, poultry or rabbit animal in 4-H this year. You can visit www.yqca.org to complete your certification. You will need to use your 4-HOnline user name and password to start the process. IMPORTANT—you must have completed your 2021 4-H Enrollment to begin your YQCA process. Remember you will need to send a copy of your certificate to the office to verify you have completed your YQCA certification for 2021! The perfect winter activity is completing your YQCA early!
Virtual & At-Home Educational Resources
Looking for educational resources you can use from home? We've got you covered! 😉
Nebraska 4-H is now offering a variety of virtual learning experiences, such as Living Room Learning and Boredom Buster Challenges. We've also collected some of our favorite activity guides that are perfect for hands-on learning at home.
Check out our virtual and at-home educational resources at https://4h.unl.edu/virtual-home-learning.
Virtual Field Trip - From Family Farmyard To Family Table
- If you’ve seen one beef feedlot, you’ve seen them all right? Perhaps not! Covered pens, computerized feeding, and micro and macro machines allow the McLean Feedyard in Benedict, Nebraska to not only feed out fat cattle but also care for and produce the highest quality beef for consumers all over the country. Come tour their facilities as we learn more about feeding out beef cattle as well as the retail side of fresh-cut beef. Sign up to receive the Zoom link at go.unl.edu/ni3d.
Seeking Adult Pizza Stand Managers
Looking for a new experience as a 4-H Volunteer? The 4-H Council is seeking individuals to serve as the Pizza Stand Managers for the 2021 Washington County 4-H Council Pizza Stand at the Washington County Fair. Work in collaboration with Youth Pizza Stand Managers and 4-H Clubs to bring excellent customer service and management to the pizza stand while raising funds for the Washington County 4-H Council. Interested in learning more details? Contact the 4-H Staff by e-mailing email@example.com or call our office at 402-426-9455.
Applications NOW OPEN for Youth Pizza Stand Managers
Are you interested in building your leadership and entrepreneurship skills? Applying to be a Youth Pizza Stand Manager for the 4-H Council Pizza Stand is the perfect opportunity. Youth 14 and older as of 01/01/2021 are encouraged to apply by June 15, 2021 by going to https://go.unl.edu/youthpizzastand. Youth will be required to work 30 hours during the WCF and will receive a $300 Hartvigsen Pizza Stand Manager scholarship. Questions? Reach out the 4-H Staff today for more information!
Nebraska 4-H Project of the Year Kit Available!
New Classes Offered at the Nebraska State Fair
It is with great excitement that Nebraska 4-H will be offering new livestock classes and divisions at the 2021 Nebraska State Fair! With the decision to shift 4-H and FFA livestock shows to the two different weekends, this provided the opportunity to offer new shows and programs for 4-H.
Here’s what is NEW!
In our beef area, we will now be offering:
- a feeder calf show,
- a junior breeding heifer class to all of our breeding classes, and
- 4-H members will now be eligible to show up to a total of five beef animals. A 4-H’er can exhibit up to two market beef, three breeding heifers and two feeder calves as long as the total number of entries does not exceed five beef animals.
In our swine area,
- We will be offering a breeding gilt show. This breeding gilt show will include 9 purebred classes as well as a crossbred class.
- In our market swine show, we will be creating a more diverse show by including 9 purebred classes.
- We will also be adding new “Farrowed and Owned Breeding and Market Swine” divisions. The Nebraska 4-H Farrowed and Owned Swine Cohort is an opportunity for youth interested in learning more about the swine industry and is designed to cultivate the next generation of leaders in the swine industry. The goal of the Nebraska 4-H Farrowed and Owned Swine Cohort is to enhance the educational value of the traditional 4-H swine projects by providing unique opportunities focusing on swine production as goal of the member’s project, along with accurate and complete record-keeping, industry knowledge, and engagement by the 4-H member.
- 4-H members will now be eligible to show up to a total of five swine projects. A 4-H member is limited to exhibiting three market hogs and two breeding gilts
- 4-H members will now be eligible to show up to a total of five sheep maximum, if at least two are breeding ewes. In no case will a 4-H member exhibit more than three market lambs.
- 4-H members will now be eligible to show up to a total of five goats maximum, if at least two are breeding does. In no case will a 4-H member exhibit more than three market goats.
District & State Horse Shows - Entry Deadline is May 7
Please note: Entry and ID sheets for District/State registration is all ONLINE - use the link below for step by step instructions
Exhibitors will enter both the District 4-H Horse Shows and the State 4-H Horse Show at the same time, using the same entry process and deadlines. Before entering, please review all the District 4-H Horse Show rules, State 4-H Horse Show rules, and the current Nebraska 4-H Horse Show and Judging Guide. To learn more or begin the process, please see the entry instructions at https://4h.unl.edu/state-horse-expo-district
- Did you know that our 4-H summer camps are open to all youth?! That’s right, youth do not need to be 4-H members to attend any of our 4-H summer camps. We’re excited to be offering a variety of 4-H summer camps at the State 4-H Camp at Halsey. See our full schedule of sessions, apply for scholarships, and register at 4h.unl.edu/summer-camp.
Other Statewide Events and Resources
Cat Club - https://4h.unl.edu/companion-animal/cat-club
- Dog Showmanship Video Series - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?reload=9&list=PL579hRei5D7xwKTqpe8kJw0GnfKK4x8l4
- Virtual Dog Club - https://4h.unl.edu/virtual-dog-club
- Companion Rabbit Science Online Course - https://4h.unl.edu/companion-rabbit-science
Companion Animal Workshop - https://4h.unl.edu/companion-animal-judges-workshop
Washington County Extension | 4-H
Jaki Zahourek, 4-H Extension Assistant - firstname.lastname@example.org
Mickayla Blender, 4-H Extension Assistant - email@example.com
Mary Larsen, 4-H Support Staff - firstname.lastname@example.org