BEA Rep Council Update
January 25th, 2016
Main Discussion Points at Current Meeting
Join the Professional Standards Commission
The IEA is encouraging members to apply to serve on the Professional Standards Commission (PSC). The PSC has the responsibility of recommending changes in certification to the State Board of Education. The commission also serves as the body that ensures fair practices for teachers. Therefore, it is critically important that the IEA recommend outstanding members of the teaching profession to serve on the PSC.
There will be four positions on the PSC that will expire in June 2016. These include two Secondary Classroom Teacher positions, one School Counselor position, and one Exceptional Child Education position. Only seven positions on the commission are filled by classroom teachers. In the years before Tom Luna, IEA members served in all seven of these positions. However, the IEA now only holds three of those seven positions. It is our hope that we can begin to rebuild IEA representation on the PSC.
Please consider applying to this state commission. Even if there is not currently an open position (ie. Elementary teacher), we encourage everyone to apply. The IEA keeps nominations on file for future openings.
REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY: Complete the form; write a letter of interest and qualifications; provide three references (no letters need to be written); send a completed resume with the attached form.
Click here for the Application
Nominations are due to the IEA by February 19th!
Google Professional Development
Thursday, Feb. 18th, 4:30-6:30pm
620 North 6th Street
Please RSVP by February 11th by either calling or emailing Stephanie Myers at (208) 345-4450 or click here to sign up online.
Click here for the flyer.
Read Across America
BEA Day at the Idaho Food Bank
- If you are also interested in Payroll Deduction, contact Randi Sinclair (Chair) at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Legislative Reception will be in February, check the website for the date.
- Reminder that your dues cannot be used for any political action, so if you would like to donate to PACE, please contact Allison Bigham (chair) at email@example.com.
- Members of both the BEA and Joint Insurance teams will be at an all-day training on February 11th, where they will here from Dr. Aldana (Wellsteps), Aetna and several others.
- Keep an eye out for a survey about insurance coming to members soon.
- Delta Dental scheduled for 2 months of premium holidays in the spring.
- Look for the ESP Spring newsletter in March before break. The Spotlight article will feature an interview with the longest employed classified BEA member.
- School socials will begin again in April with a membership drive, so if you know a school that wants to increase the number of classified members, have them contact Gena Harris.
- If you are interested in joining or helping the PR Committee, please contact Amanda Shindle (firstname.lastname@example.org).