Are you in good hands?
- Location: South
- Geography includes the Appalachian mountains, Great Smokey mountains, Dunn mountains. Also includes Yadkin river, and much more. Climate is warm.
- Government: Matthew Rowan was governor in 1753.
- No dominating religion.
- Common crops grown on plantations and farms included cotton, fruit, grains, vegetables, tobacco, rice, sugar, indigo and livestock.
- In 1712 the Carolina colony officially became the North Carolina and South Carolina colony.
- 1st governor was Edward Hyde .
-The North Carolina colony became a state November 21st 1789.
- Historic landmark: Old Stone house
- North Carolina was first settled in 1587. 121 settlers led by John White landed on present day Roanoke Island on July 221587.
-The earliest known permanent settler was Nathaniel Batts in 1653.
- In 1729 the Lord Proprietors sold their interests in the Carolina colony back to the English Crown, & North & South Carolina became separate Royal colonies.