Ms. Larrabee's 1st Grade Class
The Buzz This Week (10/21 - 10/23)
Writing: We're almost done with our first Small Moments writing piece. Most kids have completely finished their final draft and are creating their "Dedication" and "About the Author" page. Once all students have finalized their pieces, we'll celebrate with an author's sharing party.
Reading: With only two days of reading this week, we won't be completing a short reading comprehension passage. We'll write acrostic name poems to finish last week's study on the book Chrysanthemum. During this activity, we'll talk about Chrysanthemum's central message. In addition, we'll practice making text to self and text to text connections with different whole group read alouds. We'll also have two days of reading groups.
Word Work: This is our last week to review our short vowel word family patterns and sight words that have been introduced thus far.
Social Studies: We'll finish off our American History/ Civics unit with different projects about important American symbols. We'll also learn about the Liberty Bell and Mount Rushmore.
Math: We're continuing to move through our exploratory addition and subtraction unit to and from 20. The students are exploring with math racks and playing games to learn different strategies for addition and subtraction.
10/ 12 - 10/16
It's hard to believe, but we ended 1st quarter last Friday! Teachers are required to have their report cards completed by Monday, October 26th. Report cards should be available for parents to view shortly after Monday, October 26th.
The 5th graders presented their MADCO performance to the school and community last Thursday. It was a treat to experience my first MADCO performance. The kids did a great job developing/ creating and presenting Mr. Limoncello's Library.
We completed an art, research and writing project last week to celebrate Christopher Columbus Day!
Mr. Bradley enjoyed his time with us so much two weeks ago, that he returned again last week! He read the story The Stranger by Chris Van Allsburg.
Last week we learned how to work with each other. First, we discussed what working together looks like (listen to each other, everyone works, take turns, share, help each other, etc.). Later in the week, table groups were given a problem/ task they needed to solve together. Ask your child about the project they worked together on!
| || |
"Buzz Worthy" Things to Look Out for...
- Our walking field trip is this Friday, October 23rd. Field trip forms are due tomorrow. These forms requested lunch choices, parent volunteers, money and wagons. Please make sure to fill out this form and return it to school tomorrow. Also, please make sure your child is dressed appropriately for the walking field trip on Friday. We'll be walking to the Kirkwood Public Library, Kirkwood Farmer's Market and Kirkwood Park. We'll be gone for the majority of the day.
- Our class will be having our Socktober PJ day on Thursday, October 22nd INSTEAD of Friday, October 23rd due to our field trip on Friday. The purpose of the PJ day is to raise awareness for donating socks and underwear to Kingdom House through November 6th.
- Art to Remember orders are due Friday, October 23rd.
- Thursday, October 22nd is picture re-take day. If your child is re-taking their pictures, they can bring their PJ's to change in to after they take their picture.
- October 26th and 27th is our Spider's Nights.
- Our Halloween parade and party is on Friday, October 30th.
- The PTO Trunk or Treat is on Friday, October 30th.
- Our school's annual leave raking day is Monday, November 2nd (also an early release day). We'll be doing this community project with our 3rd grade buddies in Ms. Weiterman's class. Dr. Hogg has emailed you with more information about this community project in addition to a sign up for parent helpers and donating needed supplies. Please let me know if you need any further information or this email sent to you again.