Ms. Kilar's Class News
Friday, January 29, 2016
- Reading: This week we read a nonfiction story about ants. The students really seemed to enjoy it. Our focus was on nonfiction text features and generating questions while reading.
- Writing: We worked on our persuasive essays. Students selected a topic and generated ideas for support. Then we started working on our body paragraphs. We focused on topic sentences and supporting details.
- Grammar: Our focus was on present and past participles and participle phrases. This was a tricky concept and we'll be reviewing it again in a few weeks.
This week students continued to work with the Distributive Property and other strategies to solve division problems using mental math. At the end of the week, students began learning how to divide using regrouping (long division).
Science and Social Studies
- Science: This week in science we learned about how energy is transferred by sound, light and heat. Students looked at made observations in the classroom and around the school about energy transfers.
- Social Studies: We learned about opportunity cost and supply and demand. Students then related these concepts to their mini-society business. They also worked on posters for their business and business cards. Finally, we are reading a book about about that starts a comic book business, this relates well to our economics unit.
- Feb. 11 - Valentine exchange and sledding at Kiwanis
- Feb. 12 - No School
- Feb. 15 - No School
- March 2 and 3 - Parent Teacher conferences
- March 11 - Mini-society 9-10am
- March 11 - 1/2 day - dismiss at 11
- Monday - Art
- Tuesday - Library
- Wednesday - Gym
- Thursday - Music/Library
- Friday - Art
- Spelling; New list, front and back of the spelling sheet
- Grammar: Front and back
- Math: Front and back
- As always you can continue to have your child practice spelling on Spelling City and using Raz-Kids to practice reading fluency and comprehension.
Valentine Exchange and Sledding Party
We will be going sledding at Kiwanis on Feb. 11. We will be leaving Shay right after lunch at noon and returning by 2. Students are encouraged to bring sleds to school that day.
Once we return from our sledding party, we'll be having a valentine exchange and some treats. Students may make a Valentine box at home.