skiing In Gulmarg
Adventure at Gulmarg is The Best Trip
Magical flower meadows, snow clad mountains, enchanting valleys, beautiful landscapes and many more – Gulmarg is one such place in the state of Jammu & Kashmir that offers something or the other for all kinds of tourists with varying tastes. Be it your wedding vacation, adventure trip or a family holiday, skiing in gulmarg offers you the attractive of natural beauty and the most exciting & thrilling adventure sports.
The city was named Gulmarg in the 16th century by Sultan Yusuf Shah, as he was quite impressed with the stunning spectacle of the grassy hills adorned with colorful flowers. Major popular attractions of the city are:
- Gulmarg boasts of a beautiful and magnificent grassy golf course that is the world's highest too.
- It offers excellent bases for trekking in the northern Pir Panjal Range, Khilanmarg etc. These offer wonderful views of the entire valley along with the Nanga Parbat.
- Gulmarg is amongst the best skiing resorts in India. The longest skies run in Gulmarg are provide by the Gondola Cable Car Lift.
- Khilanmarg, carpeted with flowers in the spring, is a marvellous site for skiing. Apart from the surrounding peaks and the Kashmir valley, it offers beautiful views of the great Himalayas from Nanga Parbat to the twin peaks of Nun – Kun.
- At the foot of the twin Apharwat peaks, there lies the famous Alpather Lake (about 13 km from Gulmarg). The lake is frozen until mid-June and offers amazing opportunity for horse riding.
- If you wish to explore the glorious fauna of the great Himalayan range, Gulmarg Biosphere Reserve is an perfect place to holiday. Here you can spot animals like Himalayan Musk Deer, Red Fox, Brown and Black Bear and also various resident and migratory birds.
This 'meadow of flowers' lies in the Baramulla district (57 km from Srinagar) at an altitude of 2730 meters above sea level. The Nanga Parbat and the Haramukh add some more beauty to the place. This splendid hill resorts is a heaven for the skiers, and they can easily hire the skis and sticks, snow boots, woolen socks, mufflers, windproof jackets, goggles, and caps from the local shops.