Breaking Down Hate Speech
Creating a Community Culture with Unconditional Respect
What does hate speech look like?
- Ethnic slurs or other derogatory labels for a group
- Saying "that's gay" to reference something negative
- Comments based on stereotypes
- Remarks used to objectify individuals based on their gender
- Sending messages designed email or a text to someone
- Saying derogatory things about people in a chat room, Facebook, Twitter, or any form of social media about these groups
Who's likely to fall victim to hate speech? Who's likely to dish it out?
Some, because they are of a particular race, nationality, or religion. Others, because they are disabled in some way, or because of their gender, age, or sexual orientation.
Whether it be intentional or unintentional, anyone can spew hate speech.
Some, because they are ignorant or have been taught to discriminate & dislike people who are not exactly like them. Others, because they think it is cool and intimidating to use language like this or because their own insecurities cause them to belittle and victimize others.
How can you create a community culture in which hate speech is unacceptable, both online and offline?
So how 'bout it? Speak peace, not hate!